IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is anyone that surprised that Reid, Flint and Bryan left/are leaving? Thought it was pretty obvious for months.. 

I am a little, yes. Especially to two Championship sides. 

Not sure if we will eventually compete, do you? Brighton are a club with similarities to us and I think that’s the route we’re going for. 

But they did things right on the pitch, first and foremost.

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I am a little, yes. Especially to two Championship sides. 

Not sure if we will eventually compete, do you? Brighton are a club with similarities to us and I think that’s the route we’re going for. 

But they did things right on the pitch, first and foremost.

I was under the impression that most people were fairly resigned to losing Flint, Bryan and Reid?

I think we will eventually compete, but even Brighton had seasons with big outgoings - they lost Buckley and Ulloa in the same window a few years ago. It's part of a club life cycle.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I was under the impression that most people were fairly resigned to losing Flint, Bryan and Reid?

I think we will eventually compete, but even Brighton had seasons with big outgoings - they lost Buckley and Ulloa in the same window a few years ago. It's part of a club life cycle.

Didn’t think Flint would stay after the fiasco of last summer but a little surprised by Reid and Bryan. 

Wasnt so long ago Bobby didn’t fit in the first team squad, let alone the starting eleven. 

But I understand there’s no loyalty in football. It’s done now. Move on.

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Didn’t think Flint would stay after the fiasco of last summer but a little surprised by Reid and Bryan. 

Wasnt so long ago Bobby didn’t fit in the first team squad, let alone the starting eleven. 

Yeah, I think Reid and Bryan probably wanted to move as soon as it looked like we weren't getting promoted. They're 25 and 24 now so would want to be on an upward trajectory (either at a Prem club or a club who appears to be better equipped for the Prem) as they approach their prime over the next few years. 

Maybe they just fancied a change? They've both been here for many years, things could've got stale. 

I wouldn't expect either to be loyal, they'll treble their current wages most likely. Football is a short career, and I can see why that would be enormously tempting - even if it means moving from a club you've grown up with.

29 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Me too.

Best part of an eventual £15 million for the two ! One with one great season and the other with flashes of brilliance sandwiched between mediocre displays.

39 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, I think Reid and Bryan probably wanted to move as soon as it looked like we weren't getting promoted. They're 25 and 24 now so would want to be on an upward trajectory (either at a Prem club or a club who appears to be better equipped for the Prem) as they approach their prime over the next few years. 

Maybe they just fancied a change? They've both been here for many years, things could've got stale. 

I wouldn't expect either to be loyal, they'll treble their current wages most likely. Football is a short career, and I can see why that would be enormously tempting - even if it means moving from a club you've grown up with.

I think in Bryan’s case the term “new challenge” is spot on.  It happens, he’s been here ages.  Despite Villa’s predicament, they are still a much bigger club than us, higher profile, etc etc.  That is enticing for Joe.  It may or may not be the best move, who knows how it will work out, but surely most fans can see the sense of this move for Joe.

On the City side if it, we are gonna get £6m (or something like that).  Got one year left, doesn’t want to sign a new deal, because he wants a “new challenge”, and him or his agent has touted him about.  Had he not found a club of significant size interested I’m sure he would’ve sat down and signed a new deal....but he rightly gave himself as long as possible to find that club.  I don’t believe for one second he would’ve run his contract down unless City offered him a derisory deal.

From what I hear the deal offered  was far from derisory and would have made him one of our best paid.Maybe not on the scale of a Villa or Derby ...but not one to be sniffed at .Joe  wanted to go in January but agreed to stay and see if we could achieve promotion.Nothing wrong with the lad wanting to play at the highest level.That does not mean the club does not have ambition and as SL told the lads he wants promotion before he gets much older. 

10 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

From what I hear the deal offered  was far from derisory and would have made him one of our best paid.Maybe not on the scale of a Villa or Derby ...but not one to be sniffed at .Joe  wanted to go in January but agreed to stay and see if we could achieve promotion.Nothing wrong with the lad wanting to play at the highest level.That does not mean the club does not have ambition and as SL told the lads he wants promotion before he gets much older. 

So why bin my post....what did I post that contradicts your thoughts / knowledge.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think in Bryan’s case the term “new challenge” is spot on.  It happens, he’s been here ages.  Despite Villa’s predicament, they are still a much bigger club than us, higher profile, etc etc.  That is enticing for Joe.  It may or may not be the best move, who knows how it will work out, but surely most fans can see the sense of this move for Joe.

On the City side if it, we are gonna get £6m (or something like that).  Got one year left, doesn’t want to sign a new deal, because he wants a “new challenge”, and him or his agent has touted him about.  Had he not found a club of significant size interested I’m sure he would’ve sat down and signed a new deal....but he rightly gave himself as long as possible to find that club.  I don’t believe for one second he would’ve run his contract down unless City offered him a derisory deal.

I tend to treat the 'new challenge' line from any player with scepticism, especially when they claim they are not moving for the money.

if it is genuinely about the challenge then why not insist the new club pay them the same money as the old one?

Not that Bryan has said anything of the sort. Yet.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Amazing how you actually know what JB is thinking, what he wants and where he wants to be in 5 years etc. "new challenge" is "spot on" as you put it, its laughable you haven't got a clue and nor have I for that matter.

8 minutes ago, core321 said:

Amazing how you actually know what JB is thinking, what he wants and where he wants to be in 5 years etc. "new challenge" is "spot on" as you put it, its laughable you haven't got a clue and nor have I for that matter.

That’s why I started my sentence with “I Think”.

Dont you think it’s plausible that Joe might think that way?

11 minutes ago, core321 said:

Firstly 

Dave did say he thinks the new challenge is spot on 

Secondly I know that he has had a few conversations directly with JB at CHSW and out shopping 

Im not suggesting they discussed where he wants to play or his contract next season , but think Davefevs may at least have a feel for JB and him as a person / make up and decent basis for being able to say he thinks the new challenge is attractive

46 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I tend to treat the 'new challenge' line from any player with scepticism, especially when they claim they are not moving for the money.

I would LOVE it if, one day, the buying manager saw one of these quotes and said....."oh by the way, I've put you back on your previous club's wage !"  :chant6ez:

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

if it is genuinely about the challenge then why not insist the new club pay them the same money as the old one?

Not that Bryan has said anything of the sort. Yet.

Because that would be very backwards thinking.

Arbritrary numbers being used here, but if Joe does want a new challenge and is on, let's say, 5k a week here.

Then Villa come in, have a bid accepted and their opening offer of wages to Joe is 10k a week, then why shouldn't he say yes?

He has still moved for a new challenge, a pay rise was a secondary benefit.

8 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I wish he would actually just hurry up and go now. I don’t want this left till last minute on Thursday we need time to reinvest etc. 

I would imagine that Mark Ashton/Lee Johnson have someone else lined up, but you're right the longer it goes on the harder it gets to get a replacement in

13 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I wish he would actually just hurry up and go now. I don’t want this left till last minute on Thursday we need time to reinvest etc. 

Loan window closes August 31st

so we could sign someone on loan with a view to sign them perm 

14 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Perhaps the reason it hasn’t gone through is because we don’t want to finalise without a replacement sorted. Similar to Flint -> Webster.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Perhaps the reason it hasn’t gone through is because we don’t want to finalise without a replacement sorted. Similar to Flint -> Webster.

Or he’s failed a medical/turned them down,

could be any number of things 

Archived