IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

What I am hoping is that with the +£12m (approx.) that we have made this window (£22m in for Bryan, Reid, Flint, £10m out on various) we might be able to sign a bit more quality in January.  Hold that money back, see where we are in the league come Christmas, and hopefully be in a position to make that £5m signing that can make a difference.

This may be a forlorn hope but it's hope that keeps you going.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The ball for Korey's goal against United was quite literally worth his transfer fee many times over. 

Which is good, because it is about 50% of what he has done for us.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Two of which would have gone for nothing next summer.

£22m for 3 players that cost us £300k.  

You keep saying this B but in other arguments youve used costs - even NI - as an argument against. It can’t be both ways.....so anyway point being is that we have spent a hell of a lot more money on the academy that produced Bobby and Joe over the time that they were developed and this this will be the payback for that as there’s not been many others that have contributed. Hence the ‘pathway’ video and comments everywhere from the club when Bob left.  I’m not sure of the yearly running costs - maybe someone here does - but to say it’s £300k only is disingenuous imho. 

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

What I am hoping is that with the +£12m (approx.) that we have made this window (£22m in for Bryan, Reid, Flint, £10m out on various) we might be able to sign a bit more quality in January.  Hold that money back, see where we are in the league come Christmas, and hopefully be in a position to make that £5m signing that can make a difference.

This may be a forlorn hope but it's hope that keeps you going.

Even if we don't feel the need to bring someone in with FFP and the 3 year cycle for allowed losses aren't we approaching a time where all 3 years will see us have increased commercial revenue etc? So having a window like this will help loosen the purse strings in future if LJ decides he needs a more expensive player there is the flexibility to go get someone already built in.

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Which is good, because it is about 50% of what he has done for us.

Massively unfair. 

Taylor since joining us has directly contributed to one goal per 180 mins on the pitch. 

Last season Bobby Reid - a standout striker in this division had a direct contribution of one goal per 156 mins. 

So in other words Taylor is approximately 15% less effective than Reid. 

To suggest he’s done nothing is massively unfair and untrue. 

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

You keep saying this B but in other arguments youve used costs - even NI - as an argument against. It can’t be both ways.....so anyway point being is that we have spent a hell of a lot more money on the academy that produced Bobby and Joe over the time that they were developed and this this will be the payback for that as there’s not been many others that have contributed. Hence the ‘pathway’ video and comments everywhere from the club when Bob left.  I’m not sure of the yearly running costs - maybe someone here does - but to say it’s £300k only is disingenuous imho. 

Think the £300,000 fee would have referred to Flint?

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’m not using it as an argument for anything. Just staying that it’s excellent business to get £20+m for 3 players who don’t want to be here. 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Even if we don't feel the need to bring someone in with FFP and the 3 year cycle for allowed losses aren't we approaching a time where all 3 years will see us have increased commercial revenue etc? So having a window like this will help loosen the purse strings in future if LJ decides he needs a more expensive player there is the flexibility to go get someone already built in.

Exactly Hodge.....again. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Thus implying that Bryan and Reid were free then  

It’s a fair point and no of course I’m not suggesting they were free. But likewise the academy wasn’t set up just to support Bryan and Reid so it’s hard to objectively measure the cost to the club. 

But like I said my point was about everyone talking about what a disastrous transfer window it was....the entire point of the academy is to bring players through who go on to be top talents, and getting £15m+ for two who have come through is good business, especially when neither want to be here. 

Thus implying that Bryan and Reid were free then  

Don't really want to claim it not being my argument but you can't really claim running costs of the academy as being the cost of promoting 2 players. We need an academy as part of our position with EPPP.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m not using it as an argument for anything. Just staying that it’s excellent business to get £20+m for 3 players who don’t want to be here. 

You used the figure £300k to say getting £20m is fantastic (as has been pointed out actually implying Joe and Bob were free). I’m saying it’s not as simple as that. The academy has to be paid for - as per the self sufficient model set out by the club. No arguments on that aim from me but these fees will go some / all the way of paying for it since Bobby and Joe started. They weren’t freebies. The academy costs the club. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Two of which would have gone for nothing next summer.

£22m for 3 players that cost us £300k.  

I’m less worried about who’s left than who’s come in. I thought Johnson claimed he only buys players who would improve the first team? 

You used the figure £300k to say getting £20m is fantastic (as has been pointed out actually implying Joe and Bob were free). I’m saying it’s not as simple as that. The academy has to be paid for - as per the self sufficient model set out by the club. No arguments on that aim from me but these fees will go some / all the way of paying for it since Bobby and Joe started. They weren’t freebies. The academy costs the club. 

Yes of course the academy costs the club. But you can’t arbitrarily attribute that cost to just two players. 

2 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

I’m less worried about who’s left than who’s come in. I thought Johnson claimed he only buys players who would improve the first team? 

Has he said that? Seems odd as we will surely always bring in promising youngsters who aren’t first team level yet. 

I would argue that all the senior squad additions over the summer improve us in some way, either by giving an option we don’t have or being better than who we currently have

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yes of course the academy costs the club. But you can’t arbitrarily attribute that cost to just two players. 

When the stated aim of the club is to reduce the dependency on SL and to become as self sufficient as possible then I believe you can. Selling  home grown players for good money surely has to be a big part of that.  But we’ll agree to disagree. 

When the stated aim of the club is to reduce the dependency on SL and to become as self sufficient then I believe you can. Selling  home grown players for good money surely has to be a big part of that.  But we’ll agree to disagree. 

If you’re going to use the cost of the academy in lieu of a transfer fee when calculating a profit/loss situation on sale then you need to assign that cost across everyone who passes through the academy, surely? 

Most will be losses, hopefully offset by the occasional massive profit a la Bryan/Reid. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I would argue that all the senior squad additions over the summer improve us in some way, either by giving an option we don’t have or being better than who we currently have

Hmm. I think only Webster falls into those categories sadly. Watkins, the GKs, Hunt not so sure.

When the stated aim of the club is to reduce the dependency on SL and to become as self sufficient as possible then I believe you can. Selling  home grown players for good money surely has to be a big part of that.  But we’ll agree to disagree. 

Thing is the only change to really focusing on the development of our academy players has come with LJ imo, Cotterill was certainly doing nothing to further the cause. So its going to take some time for that change of emphasis to come through, compare how many players we had out on loan in the league/conference now to even 5 years ago. If they don't move for big money I believe in a couple of years we'll start seeing more players move for at least a couple of hundred thousand more regularly which easily offsets the running cost of the academy on a more regular basis.

3 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Thought he said it last summer. Could be mistaken. 

My memory was he said he wanted to bring in players who would improve the first team but surely not only? Given our whole thing of buying players who could develop into first team players a few windows ago.

1 minute ago, ... said:

GET OFF LEE JOHNSON'S BACK.

Yeah he's only small it would be tiring after a while :ph34r:

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

If you’re going to use the cost of the academy in lieu of a transfer fee when calculating a profit/loss situation on sale then you need to assign that cost across everyone who passes through the academy, surely? 

Most will be losses, hopefully offset by the occasional massive profit a la Bryan/Reid. 

It’s not about attributing a set amount to an individual and I didn’t say that it was.  But the overwhelming  majority of the academy produce absolutely zip for the club, so those that do produce have to have a far bigger share apportioned to them. Certainly more than the zero that you claimed.  Anyway, like I said agree to disagree. 

22 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Massively unfair. 

Taylor since joining us has directly contributed to one goal per 180 mins on the pitch. 

Last season Bobby Reid - a standout striker in this division had a direct contribution of one goal per 156 mins. 

So in other words Taylor is approximately 15% less effective than Reid. 

To suggest he’s done nothing is massively unfair and untrue. 

I use my eyes rather than stats that can be twisted. He is much worse than Bobby Reid

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Thing is the only change to really focusing on the development of our academy players has come with LJ imo, Cotterill was certainly doing nothing to further the cause. So its going to take some time for that change of emphasis to come through, compare how many players we had out on loan in the league/conference now to even 5 years ago. If they don't move for big money I believe in a couple of years we'll start seeing more players move for at least a couple of hundred thousand more regularly which easily offsets the running cost of the academy on a more regular basis.

Who has LJ developed from the academy? Joe and Bob were already on there way and regular starters or first team squad members way before LJ. Only Lloyd that I can think of at the moment that’s in the sqaud? 

Agree though hopefully it will start to produce far more. We all love homegrown talent at the end of the day 

Archived