IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

I don't agree with it being bad form from the club at all.

No doubt they would have let Joe go to Villa at the agreed price if HE wanted to, but surely the club had to inform the player of another offer that has came in regardless if he had just got to Villa or was having a medical/signed etc etc. Then it is up to the player to do what he wants to do, and who can blame him going to the Prem. 

Maybe if Villa hadn't tried to get him so cheaply first of all and close to the transfer deadline he would already have been signed and in training up there now. They rolled the dice and tried to gamble and it has backfired, no doubt it has happened to us many times and along with probably every other club. It is just business at the end of the day.

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not that I care at all, but is it bad form for City to accept the Fulham offer when the Villa one is 99% done?

Obviously the Fulham deal is better for the club financially, so it's within our own interest to accept.. plus it doesn't strengthen a direct rival.. but I was wondering whether there's an unwritten rule that once a deal reaches the stage the Villa one did that you don't entertain other offers?

It's Joe that pulled out of the deal not City.

We can agree any deal with any club, but if the player won't complete I guess there is nothing we can do about it.

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I don't agree with it being bad form from the club at all.

No doubt they would have let Joe go to Villa at the agreed price if HE wanted to, but surely the club had to inform the player of another offer that has came in regardless if he had just got to Villa or was having a medical/signed etc etc. Then it is up to the player to do what he wants to do, and who can blame him going to the Prem. 

Maybe if Villa hadn't tried to get him so cheaply first of all and close to the transfer deadline he would already have been signed and in training up there now. They rolled the dice and tried to gamble and it has backfired, no doubt it has happened to us many times and along with probably every other club. It is just business at the end of the day.

I suspect that Joe's agent made sure his client knew of the Fulham interest/offer, and in view of the situation and timing of Joe's move to Villa, that they made sure the agent was aware of their interest at the same time as they contacted City.

Haha, so the deal that was supposedly done wasn't done at all, and now Joe Bryan is getting the move he wanted in the first place.

I'm shocked that Newcastle didn't make a move for him. They are desperate for a LB, and their fans have been crying out for the club to make a bid of Bryan. Either way, a move to Fulham is so much better than one to a division rival, even if Fulham are likely to end up back here next season.

What makes me happier is that Bryan didn't seem necessary. He was a luxury player for their side, and one they 'deserved" to have given their stature in the league, whereas Bryan slots in perfectly, and their fans are happier with Bryan than the Villa fans were to have him in the Championship.

In regards to bad form, I reckon the form argument is mostly down to the club nosediving in form, and Bryan deciding early-on that he wanted out. I reckon he knew he was done in January, and the club probably knew before that, hoping that his performance against Man Utd would bring in the bids.

I don't blame him for leaving, but at least this way everyone gets what they want. Fulham get a solid LB, Bryan gets to play in the Premier League, and we get to see one of our own move up in the world.

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I suspect that Joe's agent made sure his client knew of the Fulham interest/offer, and in view of the situation and timing of Joe's move to Villa, that they made sure the agent was aware of their interest at the same time as they contacted City.

I don't doubt that, but it is ultimately down to the player where he goes when there are choice of offers on the table. City had a duty to inform the player/agent of any offer that came in if it was accepted, so i guess it would be through the agent as I doubt the club would be calling him direct.

Whilst it looks like the outcome of this transfer saga looks set to be (in my opinion at least) the right one for the player, the fact that a move to a Championship rival was even considered is a real disappointment. It suggests that Bryan simply wanted to move on regardless, albeit his preferred move obviously being one to a Premier League side. When you consider Flint’s transfer, that’s going to be a peak in his career - a good player at this level but no way does he have a shot at top flight football. Bryan however looks capable of doing very well at that level. So why even consider a sideways move? If that was all that was on offer, why not stay? Villa are arguably a bigger club with more success than us, but as it stands, they’re at the same level. 

Ultimately the move to Fulham is a great result all round and I wish him well, but can’t quite understand why Villa was even an option. 

27 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Haha, so the deal that was supposedly done wasn't done at all, and now Joe Bryan is getting the move he wanted in the first place.

I'm shocked that Newcastle didn't make a move for him. They are desperate for a LB, and their fans have been crying out for the club to make a bid of Bryan. Either way, a move to Fulham is so much better than one to a division rival, even if Fulham are likely to end up back here next season.

What makes me happier is that Bryan didn't seem necessary. He was a luxury player for their side, and one they 'deserved" to have given their stature in the league, whereas Bryan slots in perfectly, and their fans are happier with Bryan than the Villa fans were to have him in the Championship.

In regards to bad form, I reckon the form argument is mostly down to the club nosediving in form, and Bryan deciding early-on that he wanted out. I reckon he knew he was done in January, and the club probably knew before that, hoping that his performance against Man Utd would bring in the bids.

I don't blame him for leaving, but at least this way everyone gets what they want. Fulham get a solid LB, Bryan gets to play in the Premier League, and we get to see one of our own move up in the world.

Newcastle are waiting for Joe to complete his medical at Fulham before whisking him away on a private jet to sign for them . 

6 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Whilst it looks like the outcome of this transfer saga looks set to be (in my opinion at least) the right one for the player, the fact that a move to a Championship rival was even considered is a real disappointment. It suggests that Bryan simply wanted to move on regardless, albeit his preferred move obviously being one to a Premier League side. When you consider Flint’s transfer, that’s going to be a peak in his career - a good player at this level but no way does he have a shot at top flight football. Bryan however looks capable of doing very well at that level. So why even consider a sideways move? If that was all that was on offer, why not stay? Villa are arguably a bigger club with more success than us, but as it stands, they’re at the same level. 

Ultimately the move to Fulham is a great result all round and I wish him well, but can’t quite understand why Villa was even an option. 

he wanted to move to a bigger club, as he wants a new challenge/done all he thought he could achieve at city

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not that I care at all, but is it bad form for City to accept the Fulham offer when the Villa one is 99% done?

Obviously the Fulham deal is better for the club financially, so it's within our own interest to accept.. plus it doesn't strengthen a direct rival.. but I was wondering whether there's an unwritten rule that once a deal reaches the stage the Villa one did that you don't entertain other offers?

Until everything is 100% signed and sealed, he remains contracted to Bristol City. If someone else comes in with a higher bid, then as a club we accept it, and make our player (JB) and his representatives know of the other interest. 

Villas fault if he goes to Fulham, should have either given him a deadline to sign, or push it through earlier.

They're just salty that someone has come along, offered more money and taken the deal away from them. Something they've tried to do since coming down from the Prem, whilst trying to buy their way back.

6 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

This all very well,but has he gone yet.

I think he’s waiting to see if Madrid get on the blower whilst he’s at Craven Cottage. 

1 minute ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

They certainly are going for it. Fair play! Honestly think Fulham & wolves could stay up fairly easily this season.

They’ll both comfortable survive imo. 

1 minute ago, Hartleysbeard said:

As I've said before , if a player wants a change ( with Joe and Bobby they've been here donkey's years ) then they have to accept the best deal on offer to them .

The  Championship is a rich successful league and there are not many better, the Prem , la Liga the Bundesliga and at a push Série A.

Our players have not had much exposure to foreign clubs so it's very unlikely that they would atttact interest from there before we can even talk about the high prices demanded for British players and the language barrier .

That leaves the Prem, the top six would not consider our players that leaves twelve possibilities, not so many really.

So , unfortunately, we have to accept that players will move to rivals. The important thing is to get the right deal for the club in order to reinvest .

If ever we make the Prem would we have the same outcry each time a player moved on to a rival ?

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

As I've said before , if a player wants a change ( with Joe and Bobby they've been here donkey's years ) then they have to accept the best deal on offer to them .

The  Championship is a rich successful league and there are not many better, the Prem , la Liga the Bundesliga and at a push Série A.

Our players have not had much exposure to foreign clubs so it's very unlikely that they would atttact interest from there before we can even talk about the high prices demanded for British players and the language barrier .

That leaves the Prem, the top six would not consider our players that leaves twelve possibilities, not so many really.

So , unfortunately, we have to accept that players will move to rivals. The important thing is to get the right deal for the club in order to reinvest .

If ever we make the Prem would we have the same outcry each time a player moved on to a rival ?

Great point Major. Quite sensible for you:whistle:

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's also bad form to buy lots of players and then not pay for them. Please don't lose any sleep over Villa.

As Joe looks set to sign for Fulham now, disappointment at selling to a Championship club is moot. However, while supporters of all clubs would not generally wish to sell to their rivals intra-division sales are commonplace. We achieved promotion from league one by buying the best league one players available, and so far this window we have bought 4 players from Championship clubs. After all, if you want players with proven championship experience, they are usually found in the Championship. It should come as no surprise then that other championship teams share the same philosophy. 

1 minute ago, Olé said:

It's also bad form to buy lots of players and then not pay for them. Please don't lose any sleep over Villa.

Yeah, not bothered about it - hope people don't think that!

Just pondered whether any etiquette exists between clubs on this sort of thing.

I think until it's all signed officially, it's fair game - as is the case here.

Looking like a classic case of 'you snooze, you lose'.

If Villa wanted Bryan that much, they could have shown their hand a fortnight ago and been able to up their offer or move on to other targets, but leaving it this late in the window might well have been a tactic to score a bargain and give us next to no time to source a replacement.

Oh well. 

(Fingers crossed he does sign for Fulham now).

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Looking like a classic case of 'you snooze, you lose'.

If Villa wanted Bryan that much, they could have shown their hand a fortnight ago and been able to up their offer or move on to other targets, but leaving it this late in the window might well have been a tactic to score a bargain and give us next to no time to source a replacement.

Oh well. 

(Fingers crossed he does sign for Fulham now).

Like they did with Kodjia? Except that we already had Tammy. 

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, not bothered about it - hope people don't think that!

Just pondered whether any etiquette exists between clubs on this sort of thing.

I think until it's all signed officially, it's fair game - as is the case here.

You only have to look at the goings on with Barcelona earlier to know it can go even further down to the wire, in that case both sides had announced it before Barca swooped in and stole the guy.

At least the clubs have all kept quiet this time until the paperwork is lodged with the FA.

Archived