IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

3 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I reckon Bryan will be in a Villa shirt by the end of the day, or not tomorrow.

£6m is a very good fee for a player with a year left, but I can't help but feel a bit cheated that we're selling another key player to a competitor in this division. Could we not have convinced Bryan to sign a year extension last year and try to push him towards signing for a team in the Premier League?

The club tried, just like they did with Flint, not interested.  All about £££ probably with his agent in his ear 

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Seems entirely likely we have a replacement agreed in principle?

Have we ?

Certainly hope we get the order right this time

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

LJ has nailed his colours to the mast with Kelly though, hasn't he? Been saying all summer he has faith in him to replace JB... let's find out if he really does!

My fear Kid

Kelly is clearly talented a great prospect and in likelihood a very good lhs  Centre half in the making

Would I want to go into the season with him as first choice LB ?

Probably not as it heaps a lot of pressure on him 

Would be a great opportunity for him and I can’t say he wouldn’t step up , he’s certainly got the tools , but it’s a big ask for any young player breaking through to maintain that with any consistency through a Championship season (IMHO) 

Is he fully ready now ? Probably not IMHO

Let him develop through this season and he will naturally take someone’s place when he’s ready 

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The club tried, just like they did with Flint, not interested.  All about £££ probably with his agent in his ear 

I thought that with Flint, but if Bryan was likely to stay why would we give him a first-team number and play him in our first game? He should've been froze out of the squad and we should've been finding his replacement weeks/months ago.

Players wanting to leave is only natural, but you don't keep a player around if their head is turned. Worse still, you don't play them in your first match if hours later they're going to pop over to a rivals training ground to sign a deal!

Kelly can replace Bryan immediately. No need to bring anyone in as a new signing. 

Cam Pring can backup Kelly. 

If we do want to bring someone else in I would prefer it to be someone like Shinnie. He can play CM as well as LB. he can cover for Kelly at LB but be a challenger to start alongside Pack in CM. 

Basically a signing that strengthens 2 positions where we currently lack depth. Ideal in my book. Fee & wages wouldn’t be an issue either 

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

How on earth are Villa gonna pass FFP? 

If they get promoted they won't care.  It's the shit or bust theory I guess. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Bit odd that he played on Sat as clearly the writing was on the wall long before. If he’s not going to be here for game two why not play someone who is? 

Kelly not quite back to full fitness? Better to rest him to get him back to 100% perhaps

1 minute ago, EnderMB said:

I thought that with Flint, but if Bryan was likely to stay why would we give him a first-team number and play him in our first game? He should've been froze out of the squad and we should've been finding his replacement weeks/months ago.

Could all be part of the charade. If you advertise that he wants to leave, give him a crappy squad number and don't play him, it could drive his value down as they know we're looking to sell.

6 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I'd love to know how you can tell the difference in attitude from afar! Poor performance does not necessarily equal bad attitude.

Of course you can

I’m not talking about players making errors with control or a misplaced pass

I’m talking Players half hearted in challenges,  or not making a run they are capable of , not bothering to track back , body language , lots of factors 

1 minute ago, Badger08 said:

I really don't know what to make of this. 

Loads of emotions: 

Frustrated - Because yet again another player has gone to a rival in the championship. Why is that? Money, bigger club or can he simply not see us heading where he would like? He's an intelligent lad,  so does he know something we don't? 

Angry - What is the point in spending money on everything (stadium, commercial staff, training ground etc) if you're just going to let our main assets leave? I know sometimes this can't be helped, but surely a couple more thousand a week would have kept him? All good having premier league commercial teams and facilities, but if you're playing in League One, whats the point. 

Concerned - With Reid, Flint and now Bryan off, we have basically lost 3 key members of last years squad.  If Pack hadn't signed, we'd truly be up the creek.  Left backs aren't easy to find! Especially ones that are completely 2 footed, can score and have the engine that Bryan does.  Who will be available at this short notice to replace him? I'd like to think we've at least sounded out a few players, but the goalkeeping situation isn't filling me full of confidence. 
I'm also concerned that all of our biggest performers want to leave! 

Lied to - SL keeps telling us that he wants to compete and that we aren't a "selling" club.  Well, I'm afraid we are. Stop saying we aren't when we've just sold 3 of our best players to league rivals. You can't just dip into the league and replace these kinds of players, its not that easy.  So whats the plan now? Tread water? You aren't going to improve on these, so you're basically showing you're happy to tread water at the very best. 

I'm totally a pint half full kind of supporter, but this has really frustrated me. 

I’m not any of those. I’m delighted if we get £6m for a league 1 left back. 

1 minute ago, Badger08 said:

Loads of emotions: 

Frustrated - Because yet again another player has gone to a rival in the championship. Why is that? Money, bigger club or can he simply not see us heading where he would like? He's an intelligent lad,  so does he know something we don't? 

Angry - What is the point in spending money on everything (stadium, commercial staff, training ground etc) if you're just going to let our main assets leave? I know sometimes this can't be helped, but surely a couple more thousand a week would have kept him? All good having premier league commercial teams and facilities, but if you're playing in League One, whats the point. 

Concerned - With Reid, Flint and now Bryan off, we have basically lost 3 key members of last years squad.  If Pack hadn't signed, we'd truly be up the creek.  Left backs aren't easy to find! Especially ones that are completely 2 footed, can score and have the engine that Bryan does.  Who will be available at this short notice to replace him? I'd like to think we've at least sounded out a few players, but the goalkeeping situation isn't filling me full of confidence. 

Lied to - SL keeps telling us that he wants to compete and that we aren't a "selling" club.  Well, I'm afraid we are. Stop saying we aren't when we've just sold 3 of our best players to league rivals. You can't just dip into the league and replace these kinds of players, its not that easy.  So whats the plan now? Tread water? You aren't going to improve on these, so you're basically showing you're happy to tread water at the very best. 

I'm totally a pint half full kind of supporter, but this has really frustrated me. 

Object to this part, both Reid and Bryan refused to sign new contracts and Flint seemed to do it with a clause allowing him to leave, what are the club supposed to do, make all three stay and lose them for nothing next summer missing out on £20m plus in fees?

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

How on earth are Villa gonna pass FFP? 

They're a big club and they need to spend big ignored to resume their rightful place in the premier league, so it's obvious that FFP doesn't really apply to them, does it?

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Loads of emotions: 

Took the personal view that we could lose one key player. and absorb the loss- even if it wasn't necessarily realistic. If the money from one key departure invested wisely all the better.

3 though? Plus the early season injuries (how unlucky are we in this sense)?? Yeah my hopes of a concerted top 6 push have slipped away.

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

If they get promoted they won't care.  It's the shit or bust theory I guess. 

They can't keep doing that though?

Perhaps their new owners will sponsor the stadium for a ridiculous amount of money to bypass some rules, much like Man City.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Kelly can replace Bryan immediately. No need to bring anyone in as a new signing. 

Cam Pring can backup Kelly. 

If we do want to bring someone else in I would prefer it to be someone like Shinnie. He can play CM as well as LB. he can cover for Kelly at LB but be a challenger to start alongside Pack in CM. 

Basically a signing that strengthens 2 positions where we currently lack depth. Ideal in my book. Fee & wages wouldn’t be an issue either 

Watched him purposely in Aberdeen Rangers Game yesterday

Not sure I’d be too wild tbh

meh at best on yesterday 

He was also almost playing as a 10

Not sure why there is so much surprise and frustration. 

We all knew at the end of the season that we’d be losing Bryan, Reid & Flint. 

We’ll have done bloody well to get in excess of £20m for those 3. 

Lap it up. It’s bloody brilliant. 

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

If he goes for £6m that's £25m of incoming cash this summer 

Any chance of investing some of that in a striker aswell as a left back please? 

Unless a striker leaves, I can hardly see the club investing in another forward.

Fam, Eisa, Taylor, Djuric and Weimann are our 5 boys for now, but maybe Milan will be the one to exit? If so, then a similar type as a replacement would be needed.

I'd like to see us bid for Romaine Sawyers, as he'd complete our central midfield. Brentford would obviously tell us to do one mind...Ha

Archived