IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

45 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Kelly is not as good as everyone raves about. Definitely a good player to be but wouldn't rely on him being our first choice LB just yet 

We have to give the chance to develop in the first team, otherwise what is the point of our development squad, look at Phil Foden yesterday, he has been played and developed. If we simply sign another LB because a player is not 100% ready to step up, then the development team is a pointless concept - no matter what you think of Kelly.

We are doing this too often - paying fees, loaning players then losing the bottle to given them a chance in a red shirt.

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely, we did. Just not to rival Championship clubs and our closest rival in footballing terms for the last few 18 years - Cardiff. 

I think the fees are ok in today's market, nothing more. 

And finally, the reason it's not 'bloody brilliant' is because the loss of these players is systematic of a lack of ambition the club showed in January by not strengthening the squad properly when it was in desperate need of recruits. That pissed off some of the key members of the squad so much that their lack of effort in the remaining months of the season was there for all to see.

Watching Cardiff stroll past us to a second promotion to the Premier League was ******* infuriating. It'll be Brentford next - you watch!

I certainly get the argument that our Jan window was poor, but I don’t think even had we recruited better and made the playoffs that we still wouldn’t have lost these 3 players. 

I don’t think the Jan window has had any bearing on the future status of these 3. 

As for where they’ve ended up. Perhaps the fact that it’s Boro, Villa & Cardiff just clarifies that many City fans overvalued these 3. There haven’t been any of the established Prem clubs come calling. People seemed to be expecting interest from the likes of Everton, Burnley etc. These 3 were never going to be heading to a top 12-15 prem side. 

I'm totally buzzing that we’ve lost these 3 for very very agreeable fees. 

However, I also agree with your point on Brentford. As you know mate, Ryan Woods & Ollie Watkins could so easily have been our players. So that side of things is of course extremely disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe it's simply a question of wanting a fresh challenge.

Bobby and Joe have fought the cause for more than ten years at the club and Flint was here for five so you can't really say that they were ' quick to jump ship ' .

They quite possibly just felt that they needed change of environment and the extra money can't have hurt either.

There are moments in every person's life where the planets line up and opportunities arrive that are there to be seized.

I don't blame any one of them nor do I believe that there is some sort of malaise at the club where players are desperate to get out .

Bobby Reid had one good (And very good at that) season in his time here

7 minutes ago, The Batman said:

He served his purpose and gave us some great memories. Sad to see a local QEH boy who went through the academy depart but that is the nature of football.

Sell him, invest in Rico Henry at Brentford. I said we should have signed him when he was at Walsall as one of my uni mates was adamant he'd play for England one day, kept an eye on him ever since. Although he didn't play on Saturday for Brentford due to coming back from an injury sustained last season, but by all accounts he is not too far off.

Easier said than done though, this isn't FIFA career mode where you can just go and get someone. 

Brentford are getting like the Peterborough of the championship, they usually get decent fees for their players.

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

We have to give the chance to develop in the first team, otherwise what is the point of our development squad, look at Phil Foden yesterday, he has been played and developed. If we simply sign another LB because a player is not 100% ready to step up, then the development team is a pointless concept - no matter what you think of Kelly.

We are doing this too often - paying fees, loaning players then losing the bottle to given them a chance in a red shirt.

I didn't say scratch him off completely, he should 100% be given games to improve and i hope he sees more first team appearances this season but he shouldn't be our first choice left back at the moment as it's too risky as he's going to make mistakes etc 

Just now, Badger08 said:

Mickey Bell could be added to that? Maybe?

Cracking player and sublime footballer at times

Not sure he’d cope defensively with the modern day Championship ?

Martin Scott would be perfect right now

Good athlete, decent coming forward, excellent defensively

6 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Mickey Bell could be added to that? Maybe?

Mickey Bell was certainly a cult hero. Clearly a fine player too with strong longevity. "We've got Mickey Bell".

Brennan was quality though, Bryan or Bell? Hard to say. Thinking of it a key difference was Bell played a lot of his games in the division below, so it's hard to judge- plus the game was very different then, even though it's only a decade or 2 apart.

We were 36th out of 44 in the top two divisions salary scale from a couple of years ago (https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/a-club-by-club-breakdown-of-wages-in-the-premier-league-championship/). I doubt we have moved much from this in relative terms considering that others will have had to move with the market as well. Like it or lump it I would rather be at the lower end of this scale and think that we growing sustainable at this moment in time.

Good luck to Joe and really hope he gets a stint in the premiership either this season or next.

3 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

But before that he had some very good games and a lot of them - it was just consistency.

Right back to the days of S O'D everyone (especially SO'D) saw talent.

Really ?

Not taking away from a fantastic performance last season

But not my memeory

Hardly a first team cornerstone for years

First good season and he’s off , many won’t blame him but that’s the reality 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Webster broke quickly once Flint was on his way. Only 3 days of the window left so can only assume news will break of Bryan's replacement pretty quickly.

City would of signed someone already. You assume that MA & LJ know what they are doing.

Its the whole right back thing again.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mickey Bell was certainly a cult hero. Clearly a fine player. "We've got Mickey Bell".

Brennan was quality though, Bryan or Bell? Hard to say. Thinking of it a key difference was Bell played a lot of his games in the division below, so it's hard to judge- plus the game was very different then, even though it's only a decade or 2 apart.

Mickey Bell was indeed a great player for us (always thought he looked like Tubes from Soccer Am back in the day)

Although the season he played for us in, what is today, the Championship, he was one of the better players we had, but that was not saying much as we were dross that season what with Taylor being out for 3/4 of it and selling Goater the season before (albeit singing Akinbiyi who scored plenty, Goater would have scored those with extra from my reckoning)

2 minutes ago, core321 said:

City would of signed someone already. You assume that MA & LJ know what they are doing.

Its the whole right back thing again.

we've got pring and kelly, and we signed a right back this season and last season

3 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Mickey Bell was indeed a great player for us (always thought he looked like Tubes from Soccer Am back in the day)

Although the season he played for us in, what is today, the Championship, he was one of the better players we had, but that was not saying much as we were dross that season what with Taylor being out for 3/4 of it and selling Goater the season before (albeit singing Akinbiyi who scored plenty, Goater would have scored those with extra from my reckoning)

A fit Shaun Taylor for the season and we would have stayed up IMO.

I just missed Goater- literally by a few months.

good luck to the kid.  some great memories.  ultimately £5m for any player with less than 12 months on a contract is great business.  if players dont wish to be here regardless of how good they are then they have to move on.  equally we have an England U20s international waiting for game time and now needs to play.

onwards and upwards.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What relevance does that have to my post ?

He has still been here representing our club therefore fighting for the Bristol City cause , often a difficult one , since a very young age . 

Because we were offering him a living from Football and there weren’t a queue of Clubs knocking our door to sign him

He wasn’t doing it out for free , as a charitable gesture or out of deep love for Bristol City

You could easily argue with what he offered for seasons that we stood by him

Do I expect loyalty of any kind

Not a jot

but lets not wrap it up as some sort of fluffy ‘service to our Club ‘ nonsense

Would have had more respect for Bryan and Reid if they had signed a contract with an agreement to leave after this season if we stay down for say- well maybe Reid's valuation at this time was fine, but certainly more for Bryan and another simialr season for Reid would definitely have seen a rise in his valuation IMO.

Is it realistic? Maybe not. However Reid especially given as Bob says, how we stood by him when he was not terrific. At least he isn't strengthening a Championship rival though (any other PL club would have been an improvement too!)

5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I've got to admit, my memory isn't the best.  You're probably right.  I just remember being in love with the bloke, especially after those 2 free kicks he scored at the gate against (here we go, the memory is being tested) Wycombe? 

Don’t misinterpret

Wonderful player for City  and very enjoyable to watch, and definitely one of our better left backs over the years

Just not sure how he’d adapt to the physicality of modern Championship 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A fit Shaun Taylor and we would have stayed up IMO.

I just missed Goater- literally by a few months.

We're both showing our ages now ?

I was lucky to catch Cole and Jacki back in the early 90's but I missed Alan Walsh by a season or two.

Archived