IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I think people are taking this gif the wrong way, I think it's aimed at Villa ??

I mean if you really wanted to have aimed at Villa you could have had a signpost to Birmingham then a clip of a car doing a handbrake turn 

40 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

I knew as soon as I saw it that some people would hate it, which is fine. But in this very thread you’ve got people voicing a different opinion to you, so to say it’s a “complete and utter failing” of someone who’s “completely detached” is a little bit of a reach.

Plus I highly doubt they made it specifically. It says “goal” at the start for one. Everyone at the club will have done a few before the season started, and it just so happened that Joe’s totally fitted the situation with the Villa/Fulham “to me, to you” sketch (RIP Barry) so they saw an opportunity and ran with it. He’d already been trending on Twitter, and - in some ways - it actually would’ve been remiss of the social media manager to not get involved with and take advantage of a big story on social media.

At this moment in time it’s got 903 retweets and 2667 likes. That’s literally the job of the social media side of the club. Get some engagement; get some exposure. If the tea lady made a cup of tea with more sugars than you like, or the wrong kind of milk, I doubt you’d give a slimy rat’s nasal hair. Its only aim is to get a bit of an impact on Twitter. That’s it. Doesn’t affect the rest of the club, or the standing of the club, or the standard of any bricks (plaques?) in walls (on huts?) in the fan village (by an undefined area above some concrete, given a sense of importance due to the arbitrary naming of it and the presence of humans with apparent free will to go wherever they like so with no requirement to remain locked into this vision of a “village” anyway?).

I got carried away there, but the point is it doesn’t matter.

All they’ve done is their job. Feel free to hate it, and you may even hate the fact that such a job exists in the first place, but there’s nothing “complete and utter” about it, really.

Some fair points and I get why some people feel it's appropriate and/or acceptable. But I still disagree. It's a complete misread of the general mood IMO and the replies to the tweet overwhelmingly back that up. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Except that we as a club we move on and are bigger than any individual. People at the club make business decisions. They are not always right but in some fans eyes they are always wrong.

Let's look at that phrase " business decisions "

The business we are talking about is a FOOTBALL CLUB, it is not a shop, on-line retailer, garage, etc.

It is very very different to that.

Every professional club has to make financial decisions, but they must be taken in the full light of the fact that it is first and foremost a sporting club.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

20180809_194816.jpg

From Villa Talk:

'Does anyone actually believe a manager of bruces stature would chase a nobody like Bryan down the motorway?

This is so true

For certain he would have to stop at the first motorway services with a KFC and chow down on a Chicken Tower Burger meal with Oreo Crushem.  And NO ONE can carry on running after that'

11 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Some fair points and I get why some people feel it's appropriate and/or acceptable. But I still disagree. It's a complete misread of the general mood IMO and the replies to the tweet overwhelmingly back that up. 

For sure - as I said, I knew people would hate it as soon as I saw it, and not in a “oh here we go” kinda way, but because I can understand what you’re saying. The only thing I’d say to the replies thing (which I agree, are predominately negative) is that that’s the only way to voice your dissatisfaction on Twitter. The retweets and likes are the positive balance to that.

It’s mixed, as anything on social media will ever be.

9 hours ago, JBFC II said:

the club have literally made a GIF about joe leaving, oh dear....

No, it’s blatantly obvious this is one of his pre-filmed goal gifs.  The word goal is a giveaway.  They’ve just used it to communicate he’s gone.

We do so want to bash the club (not you specifically) for every tiny thing.

Of course 95% of us wanted him to stay, but of those, 99.99% wouldn’t begrudge him a move to the Prem.  He’s got that, and and many have said, him and Bobby have shown the Academy in an excellent light.  Plus we haven’t strengthened a rival.  Plus we’ve got more money than Villa offered.

If I’ve one small criticism is that we accepted £4m (rising to £6m) from Villa.  I thought that was low, and Villa trying it on.

Putting aside the years of dedication and effort, Joey scored those goals against Rovers, Swindon and Man Utd. For those moments alone he deserves legend status! The 200 appearances and positive attitude then earns him our respect for the rest of his career. Good luck to the lad.

35 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As for the City Social Media on JBs transfer 

I’m firmly with you on this one @BRISTOL86

Afraid I read this and thought ......

yep......can’t actually disagree with that

Not sure we will impress the football world

3F16E542-D942-4176-842E-09821E4754A8.jpeg

Small time is exactly the phrase I had in mind.

Totally embarrassing and shows how differently this move is viewed by the staff at the club - are our social media team young teenagers? - and the average bloke on the terrace.

Good luck to Joe, it's a good move for him but the club will predictably and quite rightly be mocked over this childish and exasperating nonsense.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As for the City Social Media on JBs transfer 

I’m firmly with you on this one @BRISTOL86

Afraid I read this and thought ......

yep......can’t actually disagree with that

Not sure we will impress the football world

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Small time is exactly the phrase I had in mind.

Totally embarrassing and shows how differently this move is viewed by the staff at the club - are our social media team young teenagers? - and the average bloke on the terrace.

Good luck to Joe, it's a good move for him but the club will predictably and quite rightly be mocked over this childish and exasperating nonsense.

I think they got it wrong, they won't mind because it got them lots of 'impressions' and 'clicks' which performance will be measured on.

I think what they're trying to do is sweeten the departure by basically saying "oh well, the academy is working! Let's all be happy for him!".

It depends how we want to be perceived, I would say at this stage we're as famous for our Gifs and social media as we are for any on the pitch success. I bet if you did a straw poll about what words come to mind when you hear 'Bristol City' to fans of other clubs, Gifs would be one of the words they say.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, when it first was used it was a really clever use of social media, but I think it's gone to their heads a bit and they think it's appropriate to try and generate as much buzz online as possible at any opportunity - It's fine in the right circumstances, but not this time. 

As City fans, we want the club to be seen as a competitor to the likes of Cardiff and Fulham - not some subservient club where we should be grateful they're buying our academy products. 

The way they handled the Reid and Bryan transfers felt a small time, they read the mood wrong and judging from replies on Twitter the majority of City fans found it fairly embarrassing. 

The video of Bryan's career at the club on Twitter and a nicely written press release on the OS would've been fine.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think they got it wrong, they won't mind because it got them lots of 'impressions' and 'clicks' which performance will be measured on.

I think what they're trying to do is sweeten the departure by basically saying "oh well, the academy is working! Let's all be happy for him!".

It depends how we want to be perceived, I would say at this stage we're as famous for our Gifs and social media as we are for any on the pitch success. I bet if you did a straw poll about what words come to mind when you hear 'Bristol City' to fans of other clubs, Gifs would be one of the words they say.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, when it first was used it was a really clever use of social media, but I think it's gone to their heads a bit and they think it's appropriate to try and generate as much buzz online as possible at any opportunity - It's fine in the right circumstances, but not this time. 

As City fans, we want the club to be seen as a competitor to the likes of Cardiff and Fulham - not some subservient club where we should be grateful they're buying our academy products. 

The way they handled the Reid and Bryan transfers felt a small time, they read the mood wrong and judging from replies on Twitter the majority of City fans found it fairly embarrassing. 

The video of Bryan's career at the club on Twitter and a nicely written press release on the OS would've been fine.

Good post PF

We are allegedly aiming to be a Premier League Club, ‘Premier League Club In waiting’ (Stupid expression IMHO)

Big ask , but one level above us

We have heralded JBs move to the Premier League as I would excpect and accept a Hayes or Bromley to do

At an extreme push a Macclesfield or Altrincham

We seem to be happy to make ourselves look tinpot (IMHO) and by general reaction I assume to

1 Send a positive message of sorts to our U23 players and academy

(If it’s worth the consequences then I’m baffled - the same message could have been repeated and publicised perhaps with a personal message , internally)

2 Take the p out of Villa

Though it may seem funny to some of our fans and a few of Villas rivals , for me it’s truly embarrassing and will have done us no favours in the general football world - and is likely at some point to bite us firmly on the arse

We have had a reputation within the game for decades at various points and in generality for being a soft touch , over paying and in all honesty a bit of a giggle

For all the positive publicity that our first half of last season and in particular the cup run did us our current media department and the Club currently seem to be doing their very best to destroy that , and some

5 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

I presume Fulham offered more cash upfront for jb (and more pw for him ) hence him leapfrogging Boro, villa to sign , so again does anyone think we sold Reid and flint to soon and missed a trick in not sparking a last minute bidding war between clubs ? 

It’s a poker game isn’t it

Selling Flint and Reid early and no messing from the players gave us the time to sort out proper replacements

2 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Don’t know if mentioned elsewhere,

but surprised to see no goodbye bye message from Bryan on any social media outlets...

Not that I notice much on social media but I'd have thought he would have posted something on twitter. Maybe he's mindful of getting a torrent of abuse from Villa fans thou?  

5 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Don’t know if mentioned elsewhere,

but surprised to see no goodbye bye message from Bryan on any social media outlets...

Yeah, I came on to post the same thing. If you compare it to the video put out by Bobby Reid, it's a bit surprising. 

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good post PF

We are allegedly aiming to be a Premier League Club, ‘Premier League Club In waiting’ (Stupid expression IMHO)

Big ask , but one level above us

We have heralded JBs move to the Premier League as I would excpect and accept a Hayes or Bromley to do

At an extreme push a Macclesfield or Altrincham

We seem to be happy to make ourselves look tinpot (IMHO) and by general reaction I assume to

1 Send a positive message of sorts to our U23 players and academy

(If it’s worth the consequences then I’m baffled - the same message could have been repeated and publicised perhaps with a personal message , internally)

2 Take the p out of Villa

Though it may seem funny to some of our fans and a few of Villas rivals , for me it’s truly embarrassing and will have done us no favours in the general football world - and is likely at some point to bite us firmly on the arse

We have had a reputation within the game for decades at various points and in generality for being a soft touch , over paying and in all honesty a bit of a giggle

For all the positive publicity that our first half of last season and in particular the cup run did us our current media department and the Club currently seem to be doing their very best to destroy that , and some

Funny how we all see things differently. I took it as a message to our own youngsters, but also to potential PL loanies “come to Bristol City and you will play in the Premier League, hopefully with us, but, either way, come here and we will get you to the Premier League. 

Archived