IGNORED

Radio 2 Drivetime - ruined

ChippenhamRed

Anyone else mourning the loss of Simon Mayo’s show on the way home from work?

The hugely popular team have been replaced at short notice by a new Mayo-Jo Whiley double act in the name of gender equality....and it’s absolutely dreadful.

PC-obsessed BBC decisions-by-committee at it’s absolute worst.

1 hour ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

Turn it off, problem solved 

What's the big deal? 

Still you could just leave it on, annoy yourself then go on the internet and say how upset you are... 

Thanks for that.

It was a topic for conversation and I was curious to know if any others shared my view.

If you're not able to contribute anything other than that pointless bollocks, why not just move on to a topic that interests you. It was you who decided to click on the topic.

"Turn it off" comes from the same school of thinking as "don't buy it then" - a completely redundant answer that misses the point entirely.

• Admin

I don’t listen R2, I’m a R5 diehard.  But, that’s going the same way, squawking women commentating on football, I just don’t like their high pitched over emphasis on any increase in pace in the game, as for a goal...  They also have now started having  women footballers etc in on England men’s team discussions,  why they don’t get ex England male players in discussing the women’s team, giving women’s football ( which is a minority sport) virtually equal billing, they don’t even say ladies football now, quite confusing sometimes when the start discussing games and you don’t know its women’s football.

Thats not to say the women commentators aren’t knowledgeable, I just don’t like listening to them.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Thanks for that.

It was a topic for conversation and I was curious to know if any others shared my view.

If you're not able to contribute anything other than that pointless bollocks, why not just move on to a topic that interests you. It was you who decided to click on the topic.

"Turn it off" comes from the same school of thinking as "don't buy it then" - a completely redundant answer that misses the point entirely.

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Anyone else mourning the loss of Simon Mayo’s show on the way home from work?

The hugely popular team have been replaced at short notice by a new Mayo-Jo Whiley double act in the name of gender equality....and it’s absolutely dreadful.

PC-obsessed BBC decisions-by-committee at it’s absolute worst.

Totally agree, Simon Mayo can't get a word in edgeways. Jo Wiley has always been to far up her own arse. The show before was so much better!!

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I agree with CR, the old drive time show was better with Simon Mayo on his own. Maybe it will grow on us CR?

Hooray! Someone who understands the concept of a discussion forum!

I hope it grows on me. I’ve enjoyed Mayo for years and I have no problem with Whiley, she’s great at what she does. But the two of them together is just so flat. The old show had an energy and lightheartedness that was perfect for the drive home - this takes itself far too seriously.

@kevinmabbuttshair on criticism of the football team: “don’t watch then, problem solved”

On high ticket prices: “don’t pay it then, problem solved”

On parking: “don’t go then, problem solved”

On the difficulties of buying players within budget in the transfer market: “don’t buy anyone then, problem solved”

On waking up to find you’ve don’t have any clean pants: “don’t go to work then, problem solved”

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just asked the wife @ChippenhamRed. She’s as equally unimpressed as you are. I dip in and out of R2 and really liked the Drivetime show. I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve heard it, but not a massive JW fan. 

If you’re not a massive JW fan and you really liked the old show, you’re going to struggle Fordy!

18 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I agree with CR, the old drive time show was better with Simon Mayo on his own. Maybe it will grow on us CR?

Try Steve Lamacq on 6 Music, always has something for the ska junkies among us. 

6 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Switch to Jonny Vaughan on Radio X. Always entertaining.

Absolute genius, Johnny and Gav are fckin hilarious!

22 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I don’t listen R2, I’m a R5 diehard.  But, that’s going the same way, squawking women commentating on football, I just don’t like their high pitched over emphasis on any increase in pace in the game, as for a goal...  They also have now started having  women footballers etc in on England men’s team discussions,  why they don’t get ex England male players in discussing the women’s team, giving women’s football ( which is a minority sport) virtually equal billing, they don’t even say ladies football now, quite confusing sometimes when the start discussing games and you don’t know its women’s football.

Thats not to say the women commentators aren’t knowledgeable, I just don’t like listening to them.

I’m exactly the same. I feel I should be sticking up for women, but I just don’t like the female voice on radio. Not an easy job to commentate, I’d be bloody awful but it just doesn’t sit right with me.

As for Radio 2, I don’t think I have ever heard it in my life. Radio 5 now and again or if I’m in the garden Talk Sport. I don’t listen to much radio when I think about it.

8 hours ago, RedM said:

I’m exactly the same. I feel I should be sticking up for women, but I just don’t like the female voice on radio. Not an easy job to commentate, I’d be bloody awful but it just doesn’t sit right with me.

As for Radio 2, I don’t think I have ever heard it in my life. Radio 5 now and again or if I’m in the garden Talk Sport. I don’t listen to much radio when I think about it.

I think the female cricket commentators do a good job. Alison Mitchell, Ebony Rainford-Brent and Isa Guha are very easy on the ear and very knowledgeable although Ebony does tend to get a bit overexcited at times!

At the end of the day, if I`m listening to sport on the radio, I want the commentator to paint a picture of what`s going on so I can imagine it in my mind`s eye so that`s all that`s important as far as I`m concerned. It doesn`t matter if that person is male or female provided they can do that.

10 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Try Steve Lamacq on 6 Music, always has something for the ska junkies among us. 

Absolute genius, Johnny and Gav are fckin hilarious!

Completely agree re Steve Lamacq’s show for the drive home - great variety of music and his favourite current band is Bristol based Idles (something I share with him).

Ironic in the context of the original post as he co-hosted the evening session with Jo Wiley on Radio 1 - definitely essential listening for me in the early to mid nineties!

Quite funny how the rotation goes, where former Radio 1 DJ's are put out to pasture on R2 once their youth fades. That being said, R1 is a complete joke nowadays and in serious decline as younger people have mostly abandoned it. I'm meant to be in its demographic yet if I have to choose a station, it's always 6 music. I feel it's a perfect balance between 1 and 2.

2 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

If the op loves Simon Mayo so much he/she should write a letter to the BBC demanding Mayo has his own show back. That would be way more constructive than coming on here to air dirty laundry and minor grievances 

It’s been heavily discussed on twitter with unanimous agreement that the new show stinks and the hugely popular old one should never have been replaced. There is an online petition which I and countless others have signed.

You also seem to be struggling with the concept of the non-football chat section of the forum. And you might want to look up the meaning of the phrase “dirty laundry”.

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

Quite funny how the rotation goes, where former Radio 1 DJ's are put out to pasture on R2 once their youth fades. That being said, R1 is a complete joke nowadays and in serious decline as younger people have mostly abandoned it. I'm meant to be in its demographic yet if I have to choose a station, it's always 6 music. I feel it's a perfect balance between 1 and 2.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about 6 music. I’m 34 though so possibly don’t fit the demographic for that either!

12 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Completely agree re Steve Lamacq’s show for the drive home - great variety of music and his favourite current band is Bristol based Idles (something I share with him).

Ironic in the context of the original post as he co-hosted the evening session with Jo Wiley on Radio 1 - definitely essential listening for me in the early to mid nineties!

6 music is brilliant from RadMac through to Lard, although my attention drifts after Lamacq. It's funny I quite like JW but she seemed a lot better when her and Lamacq were a duo. Going to have to check the Idles now.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’ve heard a lot of good things about 6 music. I’m 34 though so possibly don’t fit the demographic for that either!

I'd give it a go, the music varies during the day. The banter alone on RadMac is worth tuning in for.

29 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

6 music is brilliant from RadMac through to Lard, although my attention drifts after Lamacq. It's funny I quite like JW but she seemed a lot better when her and Lamacq were a duo. Going to have to check the Idles now.

I'd give it a go, the music varies during the day. The banter alone on RadMac is worth tuning in for.

Love 6music but there are a couple of presenters I won`t listen to - Tom Ravenscroft being one - I just find him too smug - and I`m not that keen on Chris Hawke. Lauren Laverne can be a bit too intense and excitable - particularly over some new act who really aren`t that good - but she does play good stuff so I can live with that.

Archived