IGNORED

Why we should all be concerned about what’s happening off the pitch

Ron W

47 minutes ago, swanker said:

Personally I couldn’t care less what goes on behind the scenes. I pay my money and watch Bristol City play football.

it could be worse, we could have that Arab running Rovers at the gate. 

Not exactly setting a high bar that, is it?

This is the sort of thinking that leads to complacency, incompetence and mediocrity.

Bit like being second at Xmas and saying we could be Sunderland..

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not exactly setting a high bar that, is it?

This is the sort of thinking that leads to complacency, incompetence and mediocrity.

Bit like being second at Xmas and saying we could be Sunderland..

Don’t get me wrong, I was as gutted about our form as the next man. What can I do about it though?

just as if the people running the club care about me or you and what we think. 

Iike I said, I pay my money and watch the football and then come on here for a laugh. 

9 hours ago, dave36 said:

Paste from email- The way that we have operated our pricing structure previously has actually been positively discriminating towards non-disabled fans and it's only right that we rectify this.

Yes. I agree. As an able bodied person I’m absolutely outraged at the benefits that disabled people get. 

Seriously, what an absolute monstrosity. I’m not sure I can quite get over this.  

9 hours ago, dave36 said:

Paste from email- The way that we have operated our pricing structure previously has actually been positively discriminating towards non-disabled fans and it's only right that we rectify this.

Positive discrimination against non disabled fans! What a massive bag of corporate bollocks that is!!

How quickly the Club forget!! The same  fans that have  been seated pitch side-either  getting  drenched in the rain or in a little enclosure with a tin roof where you lose sight of the ball every time  the ball goes above  head height for the last 30 years!! Do me a favour

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO  Amazing how quickly those 30+yrs of 'Positive Discrimination have been so quickly forgotten. It's the Clubs prerogative of course but please don't patronise by justifying it with utter bollocks. Insulting

12 hours ago, RonWalker said:

I don’t think anyone would argue changes are necessary (I guess this is where the contradiction comes in?), but I saw from the thread about Adam’s departure you are seeing this as a binary choice. The everyday fans should still be at the heartbeat of the club, as well as the corporates. It’s an increasingly small amount from column A and an overload from column B now. Hence why things like the ST debacle come about, when the people in the club who speak sense are shouted down or gradually moved on. Things won’t lessen under the current regime.

And no, she really didn’t know who it was.

Hi Ron - I’ll start this by saying, please anyone can screen shot this post, I’m not afraid to be wrong. If in 5 years time we are watching Bristol Sport United, in blue, in league 1 - then I’ll apologise to you all for being knowingly blind to all the very obvious warning signs.

But I don’t see it as a binary choice. In fact I’m not sure it is a choice, or if the choice was even, or ever there in the first place.

What sits uncomfortably with me is your notion of Non-City fans coming in and taking jobs off the real City fans. Firstly - anyone in recruitment would no doubt say that if our requirements to do a job are being a life long City, then you’re narrowing the field a bit. So if you have someone with, for example, years of experience at several multinational companies, but they’re not a City fan, well they still might be better qualified to do the job? Which one is better for BCFC? We can all learn player names, in time...they come and go quickly enough.

I think we can all agree that the club needed to improve its revenue streams, right? So these changes being made needed to be done. It’s not exactly as if BS has come in and ripped up a well oiled, productive, premier league standard media/commercial team? So perhaps these new people were needed to come in and implement these changes - and those new people won’t always be fans, see above.

Back to fans consultation - this one interests me because, was it good before? And what was is model we need to base ourselves on. Perhaps I’m blind on the inside, but I do look outwards at other clubs. Is it the Forest model? The Blackburn? Coventry? Arsenal? West Ham? Swansea? Forest? Leeds? Blackpool? Hull? I could on. 

So season tickets again - I don’t know all the details (especially disabled tickets, so I’ll stay out of that) - but clearly mistakes were made (BS in mistake shocker) and rectified - no doubt in part because of fan pressure (so they listen). But looking outwards again, very important we compare ourselves - as of about a year ago - BCFC ticket prices were around mid table for the championship. So again we have the scenario of, if we want a promotion push, that’s likely to result in higher ticket prices in line with the other teams pushing for promotion....unfortunately the English model is not the German model. More success for a club often equates with more charge to the fans. Not right. But we’ll need a wholesale National front on this issue. It’s my opinion it’s a deal with the devil you have little choice but to make - putting all ideals aside. Perhaps I’m wrong - again, I’d be interested to see an example of another, equivalent club, doing it differently, better.

R.E column A and B. More success = B. But B hasn’t taken over A yet and that is proved by record season ticket sales and attendances, despite everything you say.  

I see that some people see this as just the start. Every BS move is a like a game of chess. Small moves, one at a time - and before the poor helpless fan knows, it’s check mate, and we are stuck in that nightmare watching Bristol Sports United vs Forest Green Rovers, in blue, on a Thursday night because the game was moved to facilitate the Bristol City Rugby team, in the premier league, because the club siphoned off our revenue to the rugby (Steve prefers Rugby). All while Rovers are in the premier league because BS thought it was a good earner to sell Ashton Gate to them and move. But we didn’t get planning permission again, so we’ve camped out at Bristol Manor Farm till planning permission comes through.

I’m not so cynical. But then again, maybe I’m a happy clappy, blind faith, ignorant idiot!

Happy weekend everyone!

City supporter for 40 years, seen a lot of changes, some good, some bad. City are looking to move into the more corporate part of football, with the goal of maximising individual customer spend. Big spenders/ mugs in better seats, with cheaper seats elsewhere for the masses. In many ways, reflecting how society has moved, especially the negative attitude towards disability. If we are promoted, the club will look to attract more wealthy supporters, relegated and suddenly ordinary fans will count for more. 

5 hours ago, Badger08 said:

I was disappointed with the Adam Baker decision, but this is getting a bit OTT now. Is it me, or do we as a fan base always want / love a witch hunt? 

So to sum up the OPs post. "Bristol City in trying to improving commercial output and increase revenue shocker". 

I've been thinking about it, but we change players all the time to improve the squad, so what is the difference between that and the commercial / off the field staff? 

I think it’s because they are impacting “vulnerable” groups, like the disabled, and children.  It’s not across the board increases.

41 minutes ago, Chappers said:

City supporter for 40 years, seen a lot of changes, some good, some bad. City are looking to move into the more corporate part of football, with the goal of maximising individual customer spend. Big spenders/ mugs in better seats, with cheaper seats elsewhere for the masses. In many ways, reflecting how society has moved, especially the negative attitude towards disability. If we are promoted, the club will look to attract more wealthy supporters, relegated and suddenly ordinary fans will count for more. 

I think whereas BS think more fans equals more income, every bum on a seat equal seat cost plus pie cost plus merchandise cost, the reality is some of these fans are now spending less at the ground because of the increased apathy.

They’ll be losing £204 from me in parking alone.  Yes, they’ll replace that, because someone else will be desperate for a space.

The sad fact is, Bristol City FC are just like any other 'Club' aspiring to get into the Prem and upper Championship...it's all about running it as a well oiled business, making as much money as possible, rather than run as a 'Club'.

It's always been like that, but the lower down the league you are, the more 'Club' like it feels.

As much as Bristol City runs through my veins, I've already decided to do other things on more Saturdays next season, like playing golf.

Will pick and choose my games. Just not feeling the love anymore... will miss meeting my mates before and after the game more tbh.

Still very much interested...I just don't enjoy the experience as much. Not many games actually 'Entertain' me.

The Entertainment value doesn't warrant the matchday expense and effort.

Absolute ball ache to get to the ground and park up now as well.

When I compare 'value' to say my Golf Membership, where I can play 24/7 more or less, and sit down in comfort, in nice surroundings, with mates, with good food and drink better and cheaper than the Gate, then it's a no brainer.

Not for everyone...and I know it's not a good comparison business wise....but when it comes down to my pocket, entertainment value and feeling valued, then it is imo.

• Admin
5 hours ago, swanker said:

Personally I couldn’t care less what goes on behind the scenes. I pay my money and watch Bristol City play football.

it could be worse, we could have that Arab running Rovers at the gate. 

True, like I've said before. Just ask Bristol Rugby supporters.... 

New ground 

New colours 

New name

New badge 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

The sad fact is, Bristol City FC are just like any other 'Club' aspiring to get into the Prem and upper Championship...it's all about running it as a well oiled business, making as much money as possible, rather than run as a 'Club'.

It's always been like that, but the lower down the league you are, the more 'Club' like it feels.

As much as Bristol City runs through my veins, I've already decided to do other things on more Saturdays next season, like playing golf.

Will pick and choose my games. Just not feeling the love anymore... will miss meeting my mates before and after the game more tbh.

Still very much interested...I just don't enjoy the experience as much. Not many games actually 'Entertain' me.

The Entertainment value doesn't warrant the matchday expense and effort.

Absolute ball ache to get to the ground and park up now as well.

When I compare 'value' to say my Golf Membership, where I can play 24/7 more or less, and sit down in comfort, in nice surroundings, with mates, with good food and drink better and cheaper than the Gate, then it's a no brainer.

Not for everyone...and I know it's not a good comparison business wise....but when it comes down to my pocket, entertainment value and feeling valued, then it is imo.

Couldn’t of summed up how I feel and my exact plans as well @spudski.

Seems like the same fans who complained bitterly about feeling disconnected from club are now complaining bitterly because the man whose job was largely to foster those connections through the use of media has been  replaced... unless I’ve misunderstood?

7 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Seems like the same fans who complained bitterly about feeling disconnected from club are now complaining bitterly because the man whose job was largely to foster those connections through the use of media has been  replaced... unless I’ve misunderstood?

I think that’s a bit of a straw man. People talking about disconnect from the club mean their decisions which the likes of Adam Baker have no say in.

24 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

You've misunderstood, and I would hazard a guess and say knowingly so.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

New ground 

New colours 

New name

New badge 

Well I think Bristol Rugby fans would take that as a compromise to what they had before  - given the club was pretty much on it’s knees IIRC when SL took over.

New better ground = ✔️ - they’d rather stay at the mem??

New colours? Still mainly blue but a redesign - nothing unusual - happens every year in every sport.

New name? Completely in line with a majority of premiership rugby teams - chiefs, falcons, tigers, saints, sharks, warriors. 

New badge? Again something not entirely unusual in this day age, both in football and rugby.

Hardly ripping up the rule book and  ultimately I think Bristol Rugby are in a better position than they’ve been in for a while.

25 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Well I think Bristol Rugby fans would take that as a compromise to what they had before  - given the club was pretty much on it’s knees IIRC when SL took over.

New better ground = ✔️ - they’d rather stay at the mem??

New colours? Still mainly blue but a redesign - nothing unusual - happens every year in every sport.

New name? Completely in line with a majority of premiership rugby teams - chiefs, falcons, tigers, saints, sharks, warriors. 

New badge? Again something not entirely unusual in this day age, both in football and rugby.

Hardly ripping up the rule book and  ultimately I think Bristol Rugby are in a better position than they’ve been in for a while.

Just accept different people have different views on what a 'club' is.

And the rugby are in a better position on the field so maybe it's easier to swallow, I'm not convinced we are.

8 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Just accept different people have different views on what a 'club' is.

And the rugby are in a better position on the field so maybe it's easier to swallow, I'm not convinced we are.

I fully accept people have differing views thank you very much, hence why I come on here and debate them.

My post was merely offering a different view on what was written - if you have a problem with me offering a differing view, suggest you look away, but don’t tell me what I should I shouldn’t accept, thank you. 

Your response is one of someone whose run out of ideas and is wanting me to just shut up and put up. Something I think you’d be concerned of say, Bristol Sport, trying to make you do.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

New ground 

New colours 

New name

New badge 

And Premiership rugby with, one expects rather than hopes, a much better chance of staying there this time. 

Changes of colours, club name are unlikely at City in the foreseeable future if ever, but a change of attitudes in both administrative, football management and players are needed to get a Bristol football team into the Premier League. 

And while I believe that Adam is a great guy, good at his job and a City fan, I've been around in industry through mass redundancies, negotiating terms for those who are losing their jobs and ultimately being on the wrong end. 

While I don't like what BS have done, it didn't take the brains of a rocking horse, to work out that all the press/media roles in BS, City and Bristol Rugby, would be brought under one umbrella sooner rather than later. Just like Ticketing, Stadium Maintenance, Stewarding, Food & drink Concessions. 

It's the price that has to be paid if City and Bristol are to become leading contenders at the tops of their trees. 

19 hours ago, Alessandro said:

But, sorry, maybe our older members can tell me of a time when the fans were consulted on decisions, or put first? I mean, name me one institution that consults 20,000 on every daily business decision. 

Nobody is asking to be consulted on every decision.

What some/many feel unhappy about is the general direction in which the club has been taken over the past few years. There was no consultation on that. Not with the shareholders (as were), not with the Supporters Club, not with the Supporters Trust, not with any supporter groups. The largest shareholder just decided it should happen.

When you get press releases like this:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/dates-for-pre-season-tour-confirmed/

and I quote:

"Fans will also have the opportunity to get closer to the team, with a three-day executive package on offer to supporters, including the chance to interact with coaches and players, enjoy golf in the Spanish sun and partake in a gala dinner."

you realize, given that it's my understanding that the price of this "opportunity" is £7k and therefore out of reach of the vast majority of supporters/customers, just how far the football club is being removed from the community which supports it.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

I fully accept people have differing views thank you very much, hence why I come on here and debate them.

My post was merely offering a different view on what was written - if you have a problem with me offering a differing view, suggest you look away, but don’t tell me what I should I shouldn’t accept, thank you. 

Your response is one of someone whose run out of ideas and is wanting me to just shut up and put up. Something I think you’d be concerned of say, Bristol Sport, trying to make you do.

I think you may have misunderstood my post, you appear quite defensive.  I have differing views to yours but you're entitled to your opinion, obviously.

Apologies but I really don't think that post was attacking in any way.

To make myself clearer, I believe BS actually needs to show signs of a sustained push to the prem if it wants to foist all it's nonsense on us.  So far we have the bullshit but not the prize.  So there will be some that will accept BS as a necessary thing and others that wouldn't mind being Champ/L1 if we felt we were getting the soul back into the club.  

Being also rans whilst destroying the goodwill of a proportion of the fanbase is not the answer.

5 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Nobody is asking to be consulted on every decision.

What some/many feel unhappy about is the general direction in which the club has been taken over the past few years. There was no consultation on that. Not with the shareholders (as were), not with the Supporters Club, not with the Supporters Trust, not with any supporter groups. The largest shareholder just decided it should happen.

When you get press releases like this:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/dates-for-pre-season-tour-confirmed/

and I quote:

"Fans will also have the opportunity to get closer to the team, with a three-day executive package on offer to supporters, including the chance to interact with coaches and players, enjoy golf in the Spanish sun and partake in a gala dinner."

you realize, given that it's my understanding that the price of this "opportunity" is £7k and therefore out of reach of the vast majority of supporters/customers, just how far the football club is being removed from the community which supports it.

Isn't there going to be an open Q and A, an open training session and at least one game open to all?

If anyone is stupid enough to part with 7K (if that's true) to eat with the staff and players and have a chat then I for one have no problem with that.

If there are more than 10 people willing to pay that kind of money I would be amazed.

Equally I wouldn't spend my holidays watching the players train, even if it is in the Spanish sun, each to their own I guess.

I am concerned that the suits are pushing the money raising side of things more and more, but that seems inevitable as salaries and transfers increase, as for the club being part of the community, it's still in BS3 and likely to be for the foreseeable future, if anyone wants to meet the staff or players just turn up early for matches and catch them in the car park.

if anyone wants to watch training I believe the training ground has public footpaths that can be used to access the  area for free.

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

Malaysian betting site as our new kit sponsor a mate told me. If true I’m not sure how I feel about it, extra money obviously but would rather it was a local company like Lancer Scott or Thatchers. 

Oh dear.

Time for the new generation of football 'supporters' to seize the mantle.  If true.

17 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Malaysian betting site as our new kit sponsor a mate told me. If true I’m not sure how I feel about it, extra money obviously but would rather it was a local company like Lancer Scott or Thatchers. 

Heard it was Chinese.

With Lancer Scott it at least felt local.

1 hour ago, Mkelly said:

re Marbella trio, it’s no where near £7k a person, not quite that x 4.  Email me and il give you the correct details.  Mark 

Aah that's alright then Mark.

The very fact that Bristol Sport are selling a package at all, to "interact" with the players, paints a very sad picture of what was once a football club..

Archived