IGNORED

Why we should all be concerned about what’s happening off the pitch

Ron W

Hi Nick, it’s an offer that includes flights, transport, accommodation, golf and food, the idea is (alongside the general invite to come watch the team play / train) experience the insights of pre season. I Understand it’s not for everyone, that’s why we advertised the general dates alonside it where the team will (tbc) so open sessions 

I can never understand why some people get hung up on "suits" in the club? Or - for that matter - non-Bristolians involved.

I don't claim to have any sort of close relationship with the executive of the club these days, but through family connections I have in the past.

I can tell you that "suits" have always run the club, but in the past they were mainly "blazers". Blazers worn by whisky swilling local businessmen, one or two of whom treated the club's cash as their personal piggy bank. Behind the scenes things were often chaotic. The books a shambles. Facilities embarrassing. The club was run like a pub team. 

I think the present regime has dropped loads and loads of clangers, but City had to modernise, just like all other professional clubs. We'd die if we didn't.

I think much of the criticism in the OP is correct, but let's not get all misty eyed about the "good old days" - when only a financial manoeuvre that wouldn't be accepted these days saved the club from extinction.  

Football HAS changed. On the pitch, but even more so off of it.  But it's not just at this club - it's at every club. 

And part of that change reflects the fact that society has changed, finances have changed, demographics have changed and consumer preferences have changed.  We might not like it, but it's a fact.

Very much agree with a lot of this @Red-Robbo elements of rose tinted spectacles maybe. Wasn't always well run in the past at all.

You are right too, many clubs are in the same boat as us- to varying levels. Particularly ambitious, upwardly mobile ones as we apparently are.

However, even all that notwithstanding- was there any need to dispense with the services of Adam Baker, and indeed last year Tim Shires? Plus the Jon Lansdown thing when he seemed to taunt the fans about Cardiff flag debacle last year?

The most arrogant thing is 'Bristol Sport' which ignores the fact that there are a host of decent non league teams in the city, a county cricket side .... and Bristol Rovers of course who (I await the abuse) have as long and distinguished a history as the Robins (a term that doesn't sit comfortably with the new branding).

1 minute ago, Jarman said:

The most arrogant thing is 'Bristol Sport' which ignores the fact that there are a host of decent non league teams in the city, a county cricket side .... and Bristol Rovers of course who (I await the abuse) have as long and distinguished a history as the Robins (a term that doesn't sit comfortably with the new branding).

Come off it :rofl2br:

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Very much agree with a lot of this @Red-Robbo elements of rose tinted spectacles maybe. Wasn't always well run in the past at all.

You are right too, many clubs are in the same boat as us- to varying levels. Particularly ambitious, upwardly mobile ones as we apparently are.

However, even all that notwithstanding- was there any need to dispense with the services of Adam Baker, and indeed last year Tim Shires? Plus the Jon Lansdown thing when he seemed to taunt the fans about Cardiff flag debacle last year?

In a word, Mr P,  no. There wasn't.

To clarify perhaps, like yourself, I have no problem with the fact the club has to become a modern business. 

However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't call them out on their **** ups!  :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Mkelly said:

Hi Nick, it’s an offer that includes flights, transport, accommodation, golf and food, the idea is (alongside the general invite to come watch the team play / train) experience the insights of pre season. I Understand it’s not for everyone, that’s why we advertised the general dates alonside it where the team will (tbc) so open sessions 

Always amazes me how quick club officials are onto posts when it comes to correcting fans.. especially when there is money to be made... But deathly silence concerning positive discrimination price hikes

Funny that.

Ho hum

On 19/05/2018 at 08:22, Drew Peacock said:

Hmm, so the ticketing was a PR and communication disaster and so was getting rid of the person in charge of PR and communication. Nice one.

Perhaps it would be useful to consider whether the person in charge of communication and PR takes orders from above?

10 hours ago, Jarman said:

Too right.  Makes my blood boil.  What about Manchester United?  Surely it's not united when there are other teams in Manchester.  Sheffield Wednesday seem to play every day of the week these days.  Surely Bolton and Wolverhampton shouldn't have a home ground at all.  Aston play in a stadium, not a flipping villa.  And don't get me started on Accrington ....

I don’t have a problem with the corporate side of things. If businesses or people with more disposable income want to spend silly amounts of money then fair play to them. There should be price structures for all pockets tbh. What I got angry about and tweeted JL redarding is the price hikes for kids and disabled carers , it’s a joke and alienating a section of our fan base especially kids who are the lifeblood for decades to come. Personally my season ticket hasn’t gone up in years then when it did for next season it was pretty minimal . The club has to maximise its revenue but there’s was of going about it. 

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don’t have a problem with the corporate side of things. If businesses or people with more disposable income want to spend silly amounts of money then fair play to them. There should be price structures for all pockets tbh. What I got angry about and tweeted JL redarding is the price hikes for kids and disabled carers , it’s a joke and alienating a section of our fan base especially kids who are the lifeblood for decades to come. Personally my season ticket hasn’t gone up in years then when it did for next season it was pretty minimal . The club has to maximise its revenue but there’s was of going about it. 

No response from anyone Re my tweets either, nor the subsequent tweets and replies by kind twitter followers too.

Wasnt expecting it to be honest.  It won’t create anywhere near the fiasco of the season tickets either.

59 minutes ago, red panda said:

Too right.  Makes my blood boil.  What about Manchester United?  Surely it's not united when there are other teams in Manchester.  Sheffield Wednesday seem to play every day of the week these days.  Surely Bolton and Wolverhampton shouldn't have a home ground at all.  Aston play in a stadium, not a flipping villa.  And don't get me started on Accrington ....

And Plymouth don`t play in the west of Scotland either.

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No response from anyone Re my tweets either, nor the subsequent tweets and replies by kind twitter followers too.

Wasnt expecting it to be honest.  It won’t create anywhere near the fiasco of the season tickets either.

They don’t have any moral obligation but it’s a pr disaster. The statement the club has come back with is laughable 

13 hours ago, Mkelly said:

Yes I get that Mark.

I've just never previously seen an explicit message that an "executive package" gives a "supporter" the "opportunity" to "interact" with players and coaches.

I don't suppose the days of the 50's (before my time) will ever return where the players travelled to games on the bus with the fans, but nevertheless it wasn't so long ago where for example many of the players went into the Supporters Club after each game and had a pint and a chat with the fans, just for the enjoyment of it. That seems to be deliberately discouraged now, in the interests of finding new ways to squeeze every last drop of income from what are now not fans, but customers.

33 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Yes I get that Mark.

I've just never previously seen an explicit message that an "executive package" gives a "supporter" the "opportunity" to "interact" with players and coaches.

I don't suppose the days of the 50's (before my time) will ever return where the players travelled to games on the bus with the fans, but nevertheless it wasn't so long ago where for example many of the players went into the Supporters Club after each game and had a pint and a chat with the fans, just for the enjoyment of it. That seems to be deliberately discouraged now, in the interests of finding new ways to squeeze every last drop of income from what are now not fans, but customers.

The Bris Rugby players do mix with fans after the matches. Perhaps it's something that the Rugby team could encourage the City players to do. 

56 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The Bris Rugby players do mix with fans after the matches. Perhaps it's something that the Rugby team could encourage the City players to do. 

I know it’s on a much smaller scale, but the Basketball players mingle with the fans after the game, signing autographs, photos and generally chit-chatting too.

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

Yes I get that Mark.

25 years ago when my company was sponsoring games the players would be in the sponsors lounge scrounging drinks and food.

6 hours ago, RonWalker said:

Perhaps it would be useful to consider whether the person in charge of communication and PR takes orders from above?

Perhaps as a journalist you should actually find out instead of wrapping up opinion and tittle tattle from otib and twitter and presenting it as fact. A job beckons for you at the Evil Post!

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 16:21, Shtanley said:

Malaysian betting site as our new kit sponsor a mate told me. If true I’m not sure how I feel about it, extra money obviously but would rather it was a local company like Lancer Scott or Thatchers. 

This is true. As Lancer Scott have just  completed the 2nd of four seasons as main sponsor and are being pressured to end their term now with no compensation, it has got quite nasty between BS and LS.

On 18/05/2018 at 20:11, Alessandro said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, because you've not told us anything we don't know, just dressing it up for effect and or maybe personal gains (you don't have a book coming do you @Michael McIndoe?!) and you've contradicted yourself.

We all know the club is clearly changing. Or you could call is Modernising. As i've said elsewhere this isn't unique to Bristol City. 

But, sorry, maybe our older members can tell me of a time when the fans were consulted on decisions, or put first? I mean, name me one institution that consults 20,000 on every daily business decision. 

Basically what you've told us is the club is looking to improve it's revenue - well THANK **** FOR THAT. Because if it does that it's better for the Bristol City. 

And don't anyone say, well more profits means more money for the Lansdown's, because the yearly revenue of BCFC is about the same as a small Tesco Extra, so if they really only cared about money, they'd knock down Ashton Gate and put the supermarket here after all and making a killing.

You say the club aren't listening to fans...well they listened over season tickets, regardless of the way you paint it, so.....? 

Look i'm not saying every thing is great and rosy, but I think you overestimate how much the average fan cares about a conspiracy, because if all this business sense helps the club develop, they won't be worrying about Ron Walker if we get promoted - and that surely must be their goal.

Otherwise what's the point - BS serves solely to annoy the Bristol City fans? 

EDIT - Small detail. Did the BS employee say "who scored?" as in I didn't see? or "What is the name of that player?".....

15 years of Lansdown 

23 hours ago, NickJ said:

Yes I get that Mark.

A lovely notion - but name me one football club in the top 2, even 3 divisions where something like this actual goes on - or has even gone on for about 20 years?

In my opinion, choosing this example to criticise BS is, quite frankly ridiculous. It is the way of the world, you pay for what you get, like it or not. Expensive fan experiences are a revenue stream. Is it fair? Well ask society, is it fair richer people get better seats on trains and planes, at the theatre, better rooms in hotels or back stage access at concerts? 

Eitherway - IMO the reason your example here is an awful is because it’s not like BS are suddenly charging £7k for something they used to give away for free. Training has been done behind closed doors for years and the best an average fan could do to meet a player was to wait outside for a quick autograph or bump into one shopping (or clubbing). 

This is clearly a new bespoke thing for people willing to pay, not an over charging of something that already existed, because it doesn’t and hasn’t for decades.

Also as an aside to other posters comments about ‘Bristol City people’ being pushed out the club - what about Scott Murray kitman, Brian Tinnion youth coach, and former players LJ and JMac in the management team. 

Just now, ciderwithtommy said:

Not sure if mentioned on this thread, however Jon Lansdown has liked a tweet calling out the users of this forum, he is of course entitled to his opinion, but a poor PR message from a guy who needs to do better in this regard. 

Link?

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Link?

Someone better with IT skills needed for that, tweet is by a guy called Will Jones though. It's an interesting way to conduct yourself for sure. Text as per below...

Saw someone claiming "the truth about Adam Baker is easy to find on Otib".

Went to Otib.

Read FOURTEEN PAGES of bile, innuendo, gossip, and the most astonishing misogyny.

Came away none the wiser but feeling soiled.

Remembered why I never go on Otib any more.

2 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Someone better with IT skills needed for that, tweet is by a guy called Will Jones though. It's an interesting way to conduct yourself for sure.

Got it now.

Saw someone claiming "the truth about Adam Baker is east to find on Otib". Went to Otib. Read FOURTEEN PAGES of bile, innuendo, gossip, and most astonishing misogyny. Came away none the wiser but feeling soiled. Remembered why I never go on Otib any more."

Some *** having a rant about Dolly and a few sly digs at S82 in the comments and all mind.

55 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Got it now.

Saw someone claiming "the truth about Adam Baker is east to find on Otib". Went to Otib. Read FOURTEEN PAGES of bile, innuendo, gossip, and most astonishing misogyny. Came away none the wiser but feeling soiled. Remembered why I never go on Otib any more."

Some *** having a rant about Dolly and a few sly digs at S82 in the comments and all mind.

Saw this earlier. Jon Lansdown is a bit of a div for liking it mind. 

25 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Saw this earlier. Jon Lansdown is a bit of a div for liking it mind. 

Half of its true but it hardly befits the powers that be to be bashing fans.

I saw the tweet over the weekend

to be honest there was a lot of crap over the 14 pages, but you can’t tarnish a whole forum based on that. 

I gloss by the stuff I have no interest in, get involved in the stuff I am. You don’t have to read or comment on everything, even when you’re close to 10k posts!!!

Archived