IGNORED

Platini World Cup cheating shock

Major Isewater

12 minutes ago, REDLEE said:

Makes me wonder about 2002. That South Korea v Italy match was pretty controversial at the time! 

I still say that game was fixed, there was just too much wrong with it for it to be legit. Whether it was `official` or some sort of betting thing who knows?

I really felt sorry for Francesco Totti that day, he was robbed.

51 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Placing Brazil in pot C on purpose is hardly a huge scandel.

Indeed. Don't know if it still happens but for most of the last two decades in Europe  the tournament qualifying group draws all have a pre-condition that the 4 biggest TV audience countries go in the smaller sized groups to smooth their passage, cut their number of games played, and spare them dead rubber fixtures against minnows.

2 hours ago, David Brent said:

And vs Spain, who had a perfectly good goal ruled out, too.

I can see Russia getting to the semi-final.

Remember that, cross was headed in lino gave a goal kick said the ball was out before the cross.  was about a foot from the dead ball line.

I had lumped on Spain that year!!!

2 hours ago, REDLEE said:

Makes me wonder about 2002. That South Korea v Italy match was pretty controversial at the time! 

Stick UEFA in there too alongside Fifa. 

The Chelsea vs Barcelona game in 2009 was obviously fixed so Chelsea didn't win for a repeat of the champions league final the year before. That ref gave Chelsea nothing in the game. Platini always hated the English anyway. 

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

Placing Brazil in pot C on purpose is hardly a huge scandel. That is the total of it.

Cue being called naive....

Was my thoughts as well.

The story also says every WC since has had the same draw keeping the favourites and hosts apart until the final if they win their groups.

Hardly cheating on a grand scale

On 20/05/2018 at 18:21, richwwtk said:

Was my thoughts as well.

The story also says every WC since has had the same draw keeping the favourites and hosts apart until the final if they win their groups.

Hardly cheating on a grand scale

Platini thinks that he is a genius .

He is/was adored in France and thinks he can do or say anything he wants and get away with it .

In my view he is hinting very strongly that ,although he was  caught out , this sort of thing is/was rife and therefore his wrongdoings were nothing exceptional. 

He is sneering at that naivety of honest brokers whilst trying to play down the importance of all this cheating .

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Platini thinks that he is a genius .

He is/was adored in France and thinks he can do or say anything he wants and get away with it .

In my view he is hinting very strongly that ,although he was  caught out , this sort of thing is/was rife and therefore his wrongdoings were nothing exceptional. 

He is sneering at that naivety of honest brokers whilst trying to play down the importance of all this cheating .

Cheat Bleating, Sir Bender Monkey springs to mind......

On 19/05/2018 at 11:41, Punkymatt said:

I read the title as Panini World Cup cheating shock. Thought there was some sticker scandal involving NTTDS.

Me too, and was then questioning whether this could be why Bailey Wright was left out of the WC squad, banged up for shoplifting stickers.

On 20/05/2018 at 19:01, wendyredredrobin said:

Brazil looked unbeatable until the final until Ronaldo suddenly got food poisoning and half of their team looked like they had been given tranquilizers. Nothing suspicious about that :)

Platini will be revealing revelations about that cunning plan after his media team assess the reaction to his group draw fixing statement. Time will tell if he can part the Red Sea a third time.

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Before we get all self righteous and jingoistic, I seem to recall that in 1966 England happened to play ALL their games at Wembley! Sheer chance?

Different times. England were allocated Wembley as hosts as in those days FIFA were skint and needed to maximize revenues (none of this multi-biliion sponsorship malarky of today and there were only 16 finalists.) It's true England's semi-final should have been played at Goodison but was similarly moved to generate extra income. Recall, those were the days when one Wembley fixture was moved as they forgot to tell Wembley greyhounds of the double booking and didn't want to let them down from their twice weekly fixtures. Similarly, the tournament was put back the best part of a month as the BBC, as host supplier of TV pictures, had insufficient cameras to cover the tournament plus all their usual summer events (Wimbledon, The Open et al.)

10 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Different times. England were allocated Wembley as hosts as in those days FIFA were skint and needed to maximize revenues (none of this multi-biliion sponsorship malarky of today and there were only 16 finalists.) It's true England's semi-final should have been played at Goodison but was similarly moved to generate extra income. Recall, those were the days when one Wembley fixture was moved as they forgot to tell Wembley greyhounds of the double booking and didn't want to let them down from their twice weekly fixtures. Similarly, the tournament was put back the best part of a month as the BBC, as host supplier of TV pictures, had insufficient cameras to cover the tournament plus all their usual summer events (Wimbledon, The Open et al.)

I never knew all that, thanks for sharing. As you say, different times indeed!

Archived