IGNORED

The new Ashton Gate

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

Anyone got any ideas as to when we might see provisional plans for all the land that's been purchased alongside Ashton Gate? I had City on the phone last week asking if I'd like to renew my parking in Wicks, so any immediate bulldozing of those buildings isn't likely to be immediate. 

I think the Wickes lease still has at least a year to run.

58 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Went to walls and ceilings next to the cherry picker hire place and there is a massive steel structure going up on the old bmw show room . Is that for the basket ball?

See below, nothing being built for Basketball or concerts just yet.

15 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think that`s probably the steel frame for the flats that are going on that site - I think it`s about the only bit SL doesn`t own.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

There is no “promised land” though.

I presume your talking about a place where there are 6-7 big clubs and 13-14 fighting to avoid relegation. Where a successful season means ending 4th from bottom and playing a weakened team to go out of both cup competitions as early as possible. 

It really isn’t something I strive to become part of!

It's the journey, Bill, as much as the destination/outcome. Better to travel.....etc etc.

Winning promotion from this division to the top one - for only the third time in our history - would be bloody brilliant, massive, epic even, for all City fans under 30. Or under 40, even (and even some who have "been there before.") Because they've never witnessed such a thing before. It'll merit a bus around the heartlands on a warm day in May and a civic reception. And a big, big **** you to The Few tossers.

And such an achievement hopefully will cement in them - a younger generation - a long lasting bond with the club like many that witnessed 76-80 have. 

It'll be for them, as much as us older ones. Don't spoil it when it comes (!) with yer "the Prem is sh1te." There would've been miserable old buffers around in the 70s (and in 84, and 90, and 98 etc) when we was young saying "bah humbug. Not like it used to be" only we didn't notice because we were too busy having a bloody great time.

Be happy for the young 'uns, when (!) it happens. I think they - and we - have seen enough Div3/Div 2 yo-yo sh1te now.

:thumbsup:

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Backless seats” in the East End...sorry mate but the proper East End didn’t have any seats....gutted for you that you’re obviously too young to remember the proper East End in its pomp.....what a place to be, utter bedlam, deafening support, a seething mass of Bristol’s finest....not a seat in sight, a proper old school terrace, I am so grateful to have been there in those days...

Utterly my favourite times seeing characters who have long since passed on the noise singing "Your never walk alone" like a mini Anfield, but mainly feeling that on the day we could beat any team at the Gate just didn't have that oh we are so lucky to be playing so and so today it was all about Bristol City FC and f##k the other side,all this hype and  building a fake happy slappy souless customer based stadium is fine if the so called pinnacle of Premiership football rocks up with its countless pieces of gold funding a new era for a new kind of supporter . 

14 hours ago, That Louie Donowa goal said:

I agree your right but expectations seem to have changed this time since our promotion with Cotts. Previous we were happy to just stay up and there was not clubs with premiership payments back then. It’s such a competitive league.

We should be happy to consolidate and had we done so last season with a more patchy run as opposed to the abysmal record breaking run then most fans would have been happy.

same this season, everyone would be happy with 11th if we’d just been a bit inconsistent (even without the cup run). Instead being 2nd before Xmas have elevated expectations and then that terrible run after January was baffling and worrying.

it also doesn’t help when Lee came in and said he saw us in Europe in 5 years. 

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

I would - despite City losing most weeks just the experience of seeing PL football at AG would excite me. I'd definitely start attending away games regularly again after years of not traveling away that often in recent years.

I feel the same, but I fear that away fan allocations at some grounds would be a problem. Even at big grounds like Old Trafford I think they only allow something like 3000 away fans. If we did ever get promoted demand for some games would be quite high, especially in the first season.

Regarding Ashton Gate, my main feelings of nostalgia about the ground are from when there were terraces. It was never quite the same after the seats were put in and the ground was looking very tired before the redevelopment. Lots of great memories but I don't think I'd like to return to the old facilities - those open air toilets in the EE were something to behold.

It is simply awesome. Match days in a fantastic stadium blows away the old. I remember the old fondly but times change. Attending the New AG is simply a good experience and go back if you had the chance, forget it.  

Look at the last game of the season, a dead rubber and still 24k v Sheff Utd.  That speaks volumes .  Old East End v South Stand ? That South stand from my seat in Dolman in full voice is a great sight.  Just hope Atyeo rises as well 

12 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I agree with you mate. Apart from the obvious financial reasons where would be the pleasure in being in a league we could never win (OK, Leicester I know) and where your only real target is staying up each season? Southampton are probably a good case in point - used to play some lovely football but now just grind out results to keep their premier league place. I`ve got friends who have STs down there and some are starting to wish they were back in the championship so they could start enjoying their football again.

I make no secret of the fact that I love the championship and am happy going toe-to-toe with the likes of Derby, Leeds & Boro rather than wondering how many Liverpool are going to put past us this week.

I remember talking to a Derby fan after we beat them this season and asked him about their one season up there and whether he enjoyed it - his answer was `not really, I`m glad we`re back in the championship and competitive again`. Says a lot really, be careful what you wish for I suppose - perhaps the best for us is to go up for one or two seasons and come back down again with all the dosh, who knows?

Fair point, a mate of mine is a West Brom fan who has been bored shitless the past few years, particularly during the dire Pulisball phase. He is gutted to be relegated, but at the same time excited at the prospect of competing again in the championship.

However...

11 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

It's the journey, Bill, as much as the destination/outcome. Better to travel.....etc etc.

Winning promotion from this division to the top one - for only the third time in our history - would be bloody brilliant, massive, epic even, for all City fans under 30. Or under 40, even (and even some who have "been there before.") Because they've never witnessed such a thing before. It'll merit a bus around the heartlands on a warm day in May and a civic reception. And a big, big **** you to The Few tossers.

And such an achievement hopefully will cement in them - a younger generation - a long lasting bond with the club like many that witnessed 76-80 have. 

It'll be for them, as much as us older ones. Don't spoil it when it comes (!) with yer "the Prem is sh1te." There would've been miserable old buffers around in the 70s (and in 84, and 90, and 98 etc) when we was young saying "bah humbug. Not like it used to be" only we didn't notice because we were too busy having a bloody great time.

Be happy for the young 'uns, when (!) it happens. I think they - and we - have seen enough Div3/Div 2 yo-yo sh1te now.

:thumbsup:

Totally this. I started going to City in 75/76 and the following four seasons in the top flight were indescribably fantastic for a young lad following his home town club. That was a lifetime love affair forged with my team right there. Potentially a huge number of youngsters will get hooked on Bristol City for life if we get to the premier league (poor them!). And as has been discussed, we really need to bring the average supporter age down by a decade or two.

In about May 1980 I had to do a detention at school because I had scrawled on my classroom desk 'CITY WILL RETURN'. The aggrieved teacher made me write an essay on 'why I think Bristol City will return to the first division'. Well, I wrote the best piece of my whole academic career, going into many impassioned pages about how my heroes Geoff Merrick, Kevin Mabbutt, Tom Ritchie and the rest would storm the second division and get us promoted again at first attempt. Didn't quite go to plan, as it turned out.

The point is, almost 40 years later, I still really can't wait to get back up in the top flight. I totally understand the point of view of those who are happy to carry on kicking around in the Championship forever, but frankly, **** off, I've wanted this since 1980 FFS!

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Fair point, a mate of mine is a West Brom fan who has been bored shitless the past few years, particularly during the dire Pulisball phase. He is gutted to be relegated, but at the same time excited at the prospect of competing again in the championship.

However...

Totally this. I started going to City in 75/76 and the following four seasons in the top flight were indescribably fantastic for a young lad following his home town club. That was a lifetime love affair forged with my team right there. Potentially a huge number of youngsters will get hooked on Bristol City for life if we get to the premier league (poor them!). And as has been discussed, we really need to bring the average supporter age down by a decade or two.

In about May 1980 I had to do a detention at school because I had scrawled on my classroom desk 'CITY WILL RETURN'. The aggrieved teacher made me write an essay on 'why I think Bristol City will return to the first division'. Well, I wrote the best piece of my whole academic career, going into many impassioned pages about how my heroes Geoff Merrick, Kevin Mabbutt, Tom Ritchie and the rest would storm the second division and get us promoted again at first attempt. Didn't quite go to plan, as it turned out.

The point is, almost 40 years later, I still really can't wait to get back up in the top flight. I totally understand the point of view of those who are happy to carry on kicking around in the Championship forever, but frankly, **** off, I've wanted this since 1980 FFS!

didn't quite go to plan has to be the understatement of the century!!

As a stadium it looks good. but I still don't like it.

It doesnt feel like home. No reference to Bristol City Football Club in the seats apart from in the old Atyeo. When (if)that comes down the seats will be just red.

When i enter the Lansdown its full of rugby history. No reference to Bristol city whatsoever.

The Dolman is full of non football sports. one annoying example is a dinghy olympian from Bath!!??

And as several away fans have said on a football ground site "If you walked in with your eyes closed you wouldnt know who's stadium you were in.

On 20/05/2018 at 17:59, cidered abroad said:

I started on Good Friday 1950.

Before the Williams was built. The Cowshed where the Dolman is. The Park end where you always got wet. 

And the largest toilet in Bristol which the Club used to advertise as "Covered accommodation for 20,000".

It was what it was, atmospheric on good days, a miserable place to be on bad days when it was cold and we lost. 

So would any of you prefer to live in a 1950's house? No central heating, tin baths in front of a fire in the kitchen because the outside loo was frozen. No TV, no Internet, food rationing. 

We don't live in caves anymore, so why should we have to watch our football in a stadium where one end had a kiosk for tea that served about a couple of dozen during half time and one small toilet. 

No thank you. I'm not a Neanderthal! 

Did you bathe in the toilet when it was warmer then?

16 hours ago, Keepers Ball said:

As a stadium it looks good. but I still don't like it.

It doesnt feel like home. No reference to Bristol City Football Club in the seats apart from in the old Atyeo. When (if)that comes down the seats will be just red.

When i enter the Lansdown its full of rugby history. No reference to Bristol city whatsoever.

The Dolman is full of non football sports. one annoying example is a dinghy olympian from Bath!!??

And as several away fans have said on a football ground site "If you walked in with your eyes closed you wouldnt know who's stadium you were in.

Personally I think the stadium is the best it’s ever been, It was hardly individual and different before, I can’t remember too much in respect of club badges on the outside of the ground when I first went in 1989, or following the various renovations over the years.  In fifty years it will probably have a new couple of stands and fans will moan that it isn’t the same as when they first started going in 2017 when they saw us beat Man Utd.  You know who plays there cause it’s in Bristol on the same patch of land we’ve played in for 100 odd years, who cares what other fans think?

Although I have been a season ticket holder for 30 + years and stood in the enclosure before that, I am not sure I look back at the old stadium of matches in the late 70's 80's etc with such rose tinted glasses. I like that you can now have a pint at the game, the fans village with bands playing, being actually able to get food at half time or have a piss in a decent toilet, sit in the stands and watch the game without a big RSJ partially blocking my view, watch action replays on TV and whilst we can always find things that were better or can be better I am quite happy with the way it is.

On 20/05/2018 at 00:35, ZiderEyed said:

Give me the old one every day of the week.

Prefer it personally. Had everything I grew up with. Wooden seats in the Dolman. East End backless seats nobody dared sit on. Massive graffiti of Ernie. Proper deafening racket under the old tin roof. Tinpot dugouts and cider company branding everywhere. Wouldn't have fallen in love in the same way I did walking in to the South Stand as I did going in the East End for the first time.

However if we're set on making the Premier League I suppose it's necessary. I don't think anyone is adamant we should be a top 6 side, but the noises from the club imply that that's our goal so it's only natural that the fanbase start looking up rather than down.

At the moment we're sacrificing the 'club' for a midtable finish. I think we'd all be alright with it if we sacrificed parts of the 'club' for the PL.A part of the sacrifice has been the feel of the old AG. If the club think that needed to happen to give us a better shot at promotion then so be it.

The club are the ones responsible for fans being demanding now though.

These are the same memories of the east end I have, I’m gutted I missed the era before as was too young. But I remember the passion, noise, graffiti, flags, crap seats, walking up the steps. Personally my best time remembering watching city. Certain games stand out Leeds when we were locked in at half time, getting slaughtered by Cardiff & programs raining down, beating the gas in the jpt, getting relegated against brum. Obviously this is nothing on the east end in 70s & 80s from what I’ve heard but I would take this any day of the week to the new “singing section”. Unfortunately as mentioned the redevelopment had to happen for progress just feels like a part of the club has died in doing so. 

It`s the same at most clubs and in most parts of the entertainment world in truth. For instance, I used to love going to Glastonbury in the eighties when it was still edgy and didn`t cost the price of a season ticket to get in but wouldn`t want to now with it all so sanitised. I used to enjoy watching films at our local fleapit for a quid or so but don`t get the same feeling at some huge out of town Imax.

We can never go back to the EE experience of the seventies and I doubt really that many of us who were there would really want to - we were all a lot younger and dafter then.

Football`s the same and it`s only because BCFC are so deeply ingrained in our hearts that we`ll put up with an awful lot to still watch them - that`s not to say a lot of things didn`t need upgrading at AG because they did and most have been for the better - but unfortunately it`s been at the cost of some others, atmosphere being the main example.

We`re all guilty of a bit of rose tinted nostalgia IMO, which isn`t necessarily a bad thing (and I wouldn`t have missed those days for the world), but things have to move on.

29 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It`s the same at most clubs and in most parts of the entertainment world in truth. For instance, I used to love going to Glastonbury in the eighties when it was still edgy and didn`t cost the price of a season ticket to get in but wouldn`t want to now with it all so sanitised. I used to enjoy watching films at our local fleapit for a quid or so but don`t get the same feeling at some huge out of town Imax.

We can never go back to the EE experience of the seventies and I doubt really that many of us who were there would really want to - we were all a lot younger and dafter then.

Football`s the same and it`s only because BCFC are so deeply ingrained in our hearts that we`ll put up with an awful lot to still watch them - that`s not to say a lot of things didn`t need upgrading at AG because they did and most have been for the better - but unfortunately it`s been at the cost of some others, atmosphere being the main example.

We`re all guilty of a bit of rose tinted nostalgia IMO, which isn`t necessarily a bad thing (and I wouldn`t have missed those days for the world), but things have to move on.

Issue is, what have the young and daft lot got now?

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Issue is, what have the young and daft lot got now?

A question I can`t answer I`m afraid. Anything that has any excitement or element of risk attached to it seems to have been sanitised out of existence it seems.

My point about Glastonbury is relevant I think - back in the old days when you were there you really felt as if you were outside the system but now? 

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

A question I can`t answer I`m afraid. Anything that has any excitement or element of risk attached to it seems to have been sanitised out of existence it seems.

My point about Glastonbury is relevant I think - back in the old days when you were there you really felt as if you were outside the system but now? 

Totally agree.

Wider point imo is young people are totally disenfranchised and have been let down. Ashton Gate suits the over 40s and 50s down to the ground, but does a teenager go to football for a comfy seat?

With Glastonbury you had a way of rebelling, you could escape the machine for a while and get high and trip your nuts off, that has been wrung out of society by gentrification and the Health and Safety crusaders. Sad, sad times to be young in the UK.

3 hours ago, Libertine Dream said:

These are the same memories of the east end I have, I’m gutted I missed the era before as was too young. But I remember the passion, noise, graffiti, flags, crap seats, walking up the steps. Personally my best time remembering watching city. Certain games stand out Leeds when we were locked in at half time, getting slaughtered by Cardiff & programs raining down, beating the gas in the jpt, getting relegated against brum. Obviously this is nothing on the east end in 70s & 80s from what I’ve heard but I would take this any day of the week to the new “singing section”. Unfortunately as mentioned the redevelopment had to happen for progress just feels like a part of the club has died in doing so. 

Glad you liked it. The sterile Ashton Gate we have now was in the post years back and one of reasons behind the graff, flags was that people knew what was coming and were trying to push it back a bit and hoping that parts could be taken forward with the redevelopment. Club controlled singing sections are part of what makes modern football so dull. Redevelopment and progress didnt have to be this way but when you have people like BS running the show it has to be!!

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 00:35, ZiderEyed said:

Give me the old one every day of the week.

Prefer it personally. Had everything I grew up with. Wooden seats in the Dolman. East End backless seats nobody dared sit on. Massive graffiti of Ernie. 

You feeling the BS paint job in the SS?

Looked at with different sets of eyes, cider eyes, one eye closed.

Gave my head a wobble.

Not feeling it.

The Andy Council part.

Could be a bird, could be a plane, could be a chicken bird plane ...

But it does feel like somebody trying to get all street and ending up like David Brent.

A lot of the ground is like that.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yep, you are part of the system now. 

32 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

You feeling the BS paint job in the SS?

Looked at with different sets of eyes, cider eyes, one eye closed.

Gave my head a wobble.

Not feeling it.

The Andy Council part.

Could be a bird, could be a plane, could be a chicken bird plane ...

But it does feel like somebody trying to get all street and ending up like David Brent.

A lot of the ground is like that.

Shout that. 

Metaphor for the whole development. Some like it, some hate it, some think they might get used to it the longer it's there, some couldn't care less and will keep looking at it no matter what.

Tbf I like Andy Council a lot but it just looks weird. It's like they've tried to replace the Ernie graffiti with that, and it's come across way too clean and polished.

At least they tried.

22 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Personally I think the stadium is the best it’s ever been, It was hardly individual and different before, I can’t remember too much in respect of club badges on the outside of the ground when I first went in 1989, or following the various renovations over the years.  In fifty years it will probably have a new couple of stands and fans will moan that it isn’t the same as when they first started going in 2017 when they saw us beat Man Utd.  You know who plays there cause it’s in Bristol on the same patch of land we’ve played in for 100 odd years, who cares what other fans think?

Thats because grounds or stadiums as we call them now were individual. Plus over the past 20 odd years the name of the club was emblazoned across the seats.

41 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

Thats because grounds or stadiums as we call them now were individual. Plus over the past 20 odd years the name of the club was emblazoned across the seats.

Still is in the Atyeo and it looks rubbish as it always has, when people are sat on the seats you don’t see it anyway so I don’t understand the comment from away fans.

as much as I love the club I’m not blinkered enough to not see that the old stadium was pretty poor, yeh I’ve had great memories there over nearly 30 years but it doesn’t make it better for me

On 28 May 2018 at 10:11, Tinmans Love Child said:

Still is in the Atyeo and it looks rubbish as it always has, when people are sat on the seats you don’t see it anyway so I don’t understand the comment from away fans.

as much as I love the club I’m not blinkered enough to not see that the old stadium was pretty poor, yeh I’ve had great memories there over nearly 30 years but it doesn’t make it better for me

There is some rose tinted glasses when it comes to atmosphere as well. It is pretty simple - if City are very near the top of any division or in the top half of the championship (seen as par or above par) then the place will be rocking. If City are struggling in the championship or not doing extremely well in League one (below par) the atmosphere will suffer. People talk about the 80s, I was there in 82 with 4500 in a 30000 stadium in division 4 and trust me it wasn't rocking. I could hear Terry Cooper from the Dolman.

Ah the good old days.

Bring back the old Wembley, too. 

Even though it was dreadful.

We have probably lost something in the changes, but we've gained, too. The new ground is more child friendly and accessible, so sets up our future better.

I really want to see more signs that Bristol City play there, whether that be a huge badge on the front of the Dolman Stand roof like they do at Loftus Road, or a pattern in the seats saying ROBINS or something like that. Along with the appalling sound quality in the Dolman, that’s my only problem with the new stadium.

Archived