IGNORED

Meeting footballers in unexpected places.

cidered abroad

A lightweight subject for a close season thread. 

On holiday in Corfu sometime in the 1980's, walking around central Corfu town and spot Harold Jarman a few feet away. A couple of moments to exchange a bit of City/Rovers banter and on our way. 

Three or four months later in the car park behind the Williams, we met again. He laughed and just said "Corfu. Are you following me?" He was scouting for Man City. 

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

A lightweight subject for a close season thread. 

On holiday in Corfu sometime in the 1980's, walking around central Corfu town and spot Harold Jarman a few feet away. A couple of moments to exchange a bit of City/Rovers banter and on our way. 

Three or four months later in the car park behind the Williams, we met again. He laughed and just said "Corfu. Are you following me?" He was scouting for Man City. 

Corfu? How did he know your code name?

In February/March last year I sat next to Harry Redknapp on a flight to Dubai. As we were in the middle of our losing streak, I asked him if he fancied the Bristol City job and he replied saying 'I'm not really looking to get back into management at the moment y'know'. A few weeks later he was appointed as the Birmingham manager...

Met Junior Bent in Kingswood in the 80s.

Met Nigel Clough on holiday in Alcudia in the early 90s.

Was celebrating Bristol City's recent promotion to the championship in San Carlos, when one by one, in came the Bristol City squad. Scott Murray held the toilet door open for me too. 

Pee’d next to Jamie Redknapp at Stamford Bridge.

Saw half the Newcastle squad at Newcastle dogs once and had a brief chat with Jermaine Jenas. Later, after putting £1 on a race over heard the next person saying “£2000 for Mr Dyer on his dog please”

Our old favourite Andy Tilson  who bought a pick up truck from us to start his gardening business when he retired. Just before he took delivery of the truck i cut numerous jokes about Rovers from the Bountyhunter fanzine and placed them in the ashtrays service books and glove box. He loved it and i have helped him out on a number of occasions. He is a really nice bloke.

He told me a great story about John Ward trying to sign him from Rovers when he was manager here.

I was checking in to a hotel in Lyons and my Mrs says  what’s Juventus. I said they are a football team....She said all those blokes behind us have it written on their blazers....The entire Juventus squad were behind me ion the queue to check in. They had a Champs league game that night!

Juventus, Brian Clough, Frank Lampard... well I can top that!

Once saw Danny Coles having a full English in a farmshop near Exeter.

It was at the time when he was in hot water for his tweets when ecfc captain

I was in a night club in Watford a few years ago when Ashley Young (playing for Watford at the time) knocked into me causing me to drop my beer. He was very apologetic and bought me a new one and we had a quick chat about football.

Also met Nathan Dyer in Westfield Shopping Centre. No-one else new who he was but I did and we chatted for about 20 minutes. It was the season Swansea got promoted to the Prem, and for some reason he didn't fancy coming to join us on my recommendation...

I was in South Spain in a quiet village and there was a summer fete, went up to the bar and saw 3 fellas having a drink and one of them was Shay Given (this was literally the middle of nowhere) , the summer he signed for Man City. Shay is the one on the left! ;)

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, selfie

I was on a trade jolly to a Charity Shield match.  There were several retired "names" in the party.  I asked Bob Paisley to sign my programme for my son.  He said "how do you spell Benjamin"?  I said Ben will be fine.  Bobby Moore was also there - no surprise, he was a lovely man.  Also spoke to Kenny Dalgleish but have no idea what he said.

Archived