IGNORED

Meeting footballers in unexpected places.

cidered abroad

Glenn Humphries had a few beers in my house. I went to my cousins house for a party and went out into the conservatory and bumped into Wayne Allison. I bumped into Louis Carey on a flight back from Scotland and had a good old chat, Bob Taylor in Woolworths in Weston High Street. Rob Newman in the Nut Tree in Worle, Ray Cashley in Asda, Brian Drysdale at The Man In Space, Scott Murray at another cousins birthday, John Shaw and Kevin Mabbutt at my school, Tom Ritchie in Clevedon, Gerry Gow in my mates driveway. There are probably a few more...

6 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Glenn Humphries had a few beers in my house. I went to my cousins house for a party and went out into the conservatory and bumped into Wayne Allison. I bumped into Louis Carey on a flight back from Scotland and had a good old chat, Bob Taylor in Woolworths in Weston High Street. Rob Newman in the Nut Tree in Worle, Ray Cashley in Asda, Brian Drysdale at The Man In Space, Scott Murray at another cousins birthday, John Shaw and Kevin Mabbutt at my school, Tom Ritchie in Clevedon, Gerry Gow in my mates driveway. There are probably a few more...

bloody hell, you had a hell of a day there pal!

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I met Pat Bonner in the toilets of Castro’s

Just about to post that went on a lads holiday 20 plus years ago and packie bomber was staying at our hotel.

alan mcinally was in the same hotel in lanzarote as us two years ago.

but the one to top it off was I was in vip area with Pele at the gala dinner for the grand opening of Gordon banks statue at stoke city.

oh and shook hand with becks ringside at Hatton v mayweather.

Had a chat with Craig Bellamy in a hospital!.. lovely fella..

Also bumped into Bob Wilson at Christchurch priory (Bournemouth)..he was walking the dog..nice bloke but I'm not keen on labradors (Darrel's dustbin thread,maybe!)..

Also Scott McGarvey in same hotel in Majorca... top lad!..

Ex-City man, and son of Joe, Andrew Jordan in a pub on the outskirts of Chester. Alan Mahon, then of Burnley, in the same pub a couple of years later.

Alan McInally at Bangor on Dee races a couple of years ago.

Robbie Savage at an ODI cricket match at Old Trafford.

Sam Allardyce at Manchester airport, he was going to Sweden to do punditry for ITV on an England friendly.

Ian Dowie on a flight from Manchester to London. On the return flight a couple of days later, I was sat in the row behind Franco Baldini, at that time Capello's assistant with England, who was on his way north to go to Man Utd v Arsenal that afternoon (the 8-2 game).

On a train between Manchester and Crewe last year, stopped at Stockport and the Burnley squad got on (in first class, natch) heading to an away game in London.

Several of the Notts County first team squad at Nandos in Carlisle, the night before an away game for them there a few years ago. Then discovered they were also staying in the same hotel as me.

3 hours ago, Lordofthebling said:

Scott Murray held the toilet door open for me too. 

I hope you mean the door to the toilets and not he cubicle :blink:

1 hour ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

I am in touch daily 'Professionally' with Mark Aizlewood. Has some interesting stories regarding his time here.

So, you’re a Lawyer then are you :whistle:

I think we're stretching the definition of "unexpected" a little when mentioning them in pubs, bars, holiday resorts or planes...

These are footballers we're talking about! Has anyone actually met a footballer in a library, a museum, or a spiritual retreat? 

How about Lois Diony driving towards you on the wrong side of the road filming himself? That would be more unexpected.

Met Wayne Allison in a club in Sheffield when he was playing for the pigs. Their entire squad was there and he was by far the friendliest. Lovely chap. Michael Brown was the complete opposite. 

My cousin went to school with Kevin Davies, had a night out with him once. He wouldn't let anyone buy a drink and put £200 behind the door of the club. He got chucked out for fighting after about an hour. :laugh:

See Carlton Palmer and Chris Waddle around Sheffield quite often. 

Mark Draper, ex-Villa / Southampton / Leicester player in our hotel in Kavos in early 90s.  He was expecting to sign for Liverpool, and constantly on the phone trying to get updates.  Fell through and went to Villa.  My mates didn’t believe it was him, until I showed them my 442 mag!  Nice guy, down to earth, but shit at penalty shot out stalls on Kavos high street when pissed!

Grant McCann on holiday in Majorca a few years back when he was playing for Peterborough.

John Ward at Windsor hotel with Carlisle team, we’d been to Legoland.

My favourite one though is not who I saw, but a mate, who bumped into Sven in a hotel somewhere abroad whilst travelling to watch England.  It wasn’t when Sven was England manager, about 5 years back.  As he was “on tour” he asked to pose with Sven and his George Cross flag....but the best bit was he asked Tord Grip to take the photo!! :D

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I was checking in to a hotel in Lyons and my Mrs says  what’s Juventus. I said they are a football team....She said all those blokes behind us have it written on their blazers....The entire Juventus squad were behind me ion the queue to check in. They had a Champs league game that night!

Something similar but smaller, stayed in same hotel as West Ham, when Zola was in charge. Was in lift with him (he's tiny!) but didn't have bottle to talk

8 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Just noticed the 'Unexpected Places' part. 

Mark Viduka in a WH Smiths in Leeds. Des Walker outside my house. Tony Currie used to block our drive quite often with his van. Typical United. 

My bruv-in-law lived next door to Gilles de Bilde, and in the same Close as Ian Hendon and who was the other Dutchman.....Jonk, in Oughtibridge.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

My bruv-in-law lived next door to Gilles de Bilde, and in the same Close as Ian Hendon and who was the other Dutchman.....Jonk, in Oughtibridge.

My grandson loves him...

Oh no, that's Bob de builder.

Junior Bent in my local newsagents in Horfield about 94.

Adam Locke in The Showboat pub on Glos Rd just a few hundred yards from The Mem not long after he signed. I did have to ask him if he realised how deep into enemy territory he was.......he didn't, one swift coke and he was off!

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nice.

Amazed Hendon could afford the same place as Jonk and De Bilde, both were on huge wages and turned out to be two of the worst signings we ever made.

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Nice.

Amazed Hendon could afford the same place as Jonk and De Bilde, both were on huge wages and turned out to be two of the worst signings we ever made.

Wasn’t your typical mock tudor footballer’s “estate”.  Nice, but house prices up north nowhere near down here.

Who was the young, winger you had, very short, Irish lad, I think....he was a regular in the local pub!!!

Bumped into Donnie Gillies at a trade show in Sutton Coldfield many years back....had a good chat.....had a wazz in the bog next to Ron Atkinson at the same show....he was Villa manager at the time....he’s bloody tall...

Had a drink with Paul Reaney at the Pontins Holiday Camp in Brean Sands zillions of years sgo....

Sat next to John Hartson on an EasyJet flight...

Was in a lift at a Glasgow hotel when in stepped Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen and Henrik Larsson...

Was in the lift at another hotel in Lancaster Gate many moons ago...a guy got in and I said “Are you going down?” - “I certainly hope not!” came the reply.....I looked up and saw it was Man Utd Chairman Martin Edwards....

Sat next to Tommy Docherty at a posh charity lunch in London....what a top geezer he is...

Saw Louis Carey in the Co-op on Redcliff Street not so long ago too.....

Fair few other instances too.....but don’t wanna be boring!

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t your typical mock tudor footballer’s “estate”.  Nice, but house prices up north nowhere near down here.

Who was the young, winger you had, very short, Irish lad, I think....he was a regular in the local pub!!!

Owen Morrison? Could also have been Alan Quinn. Both naughty boys. 

Archived