IGNORED

Meeting footballers in unexpected places.

cidered abroad

Met Wayne Allison doing the washing up at a friends party in  Bishopston. Watched England get knocked out of euro 96 with Frank  Clarke and his wife  in a bar in  Cascais . I think he was manager of Man City at the time . Sat next to Zola on a flight to Sardinia and a couple of years ago had a chat about  Mostar ( having been there earlier in the day ) over ice cream with Edin Dzeko in Dubrovnik . Very decent guy - multi lingual and a UNICEF ambassador .  I walk my dog occasionally in the Lickey hills and bump into Ron Atkinson occasionally. Jamie Smith lives near by and likes a Diet Coke at the local cricket club . 

Going back a few years, Mike Gibson I served him when he used to pay his 'leccy bill in Bemmie, used to queue up with all the old dears too, Keith Fear (and his Mum) sold him a new cooker in SWEB on the Centre,  Stewart Houston and his black and white eye on a London Tube after losing to City at AG.. the eye.courtesy of Gerry Gow of course.. :punish:

2 hours ago, 123red1 said:

Bumped into Joe Hart in a Macdonalds in Reading about 3 months ago. Literally the only person I've ever seen order a Fillet of fish. 

Joe Hart in Mac Ds eh?  … Not a 'bad scalp' to claim red1 … :cool2:… and at 6' 5" he must have been head and shoulders above most people there.  

• Admin

I bought a van from Jantzen Derrick, he’s still selling them in Feeder Commercials.

Used to have a beer or two with John Bailey in the Tap & Barrel to name but one Bemmie pub I used to see him in........ although that wouldn’t be an unusual place for John, same as seeing Jacki in the wine bar in Park St!

Have seen Jimmy Bullard match fishing.

3 hours ago, Olé said:

I think we're stretching the definition of "unexpected" a little when mentioning them in pubs, bars, holiday resorts or planes...

These are footballers we're talking about! Has anyone actually met a footballer in a library, a museum, or a spiritual retreat? 

Just back from theatre and Hollowhead was sat in row behind .... that was unexpected!!

A couple. Ray Wilkins with the manu squad in a Torquay  night club. They had played Southampton on the sat and had a charity game in Torquay Monday. Great guy signed a phot of our Mark for the Mrs.

Gerry Gow. On our way to Wembley for the first freight rover thing . In a café on the 303 I think. We gave him he's here he's there he's every ******* where Gerry Gow!!!

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Shared a breakfast table in a Paris hotel with Jose Luis Chilavert and Christian Karembeau (among others) when they played for RC Strasbourg.

Derek Dougan once asked me for directions to the County Hotel in Taunton.

Saw Alex McLeish scraping dogshit off his shoe at Cherwell services on the M40.

Walked past a café in Looe and Colin was sat at a window table having a full English.

That actually reminds me. I was walking through a shopping centre in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan in February (random enough) and happened to walk into Christian Karembeau parading the World Cup trophy. Photo evidence below...

BD7C9F06-CFD9-4FDE-9E09-ECA039773B07.jpeg

8 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Joe Hart in Mac Ds eh?  … Not a 'bad scalp' to claim red1 … :cool2:… and at 6' 5" he must have been head and shoulders above most people there.  

Very droll !

Should have seen that pun coming a mile off, he was nearly a good foot taller than me :laugh:

Aside from City players I have actually been on the piss with George Best.

He turned up 3 weeks late for an event. Fortunately I was there when he got out of the  car. 

I ran to the beach, told my mates and we proceeded to spend the next couple of hours in his exclusive company downing Whiskey like it was water before the word got round that Bestie was in town and then it was chaos.

Got him to sign my shirt before I left. Absolute quality day and **** me his ability to drink was frightening!

43AD8DEB-EEA1-4F89-9848-63155629BF37.jpeg

I was in a car park near Stourbridge a few years back, in the back seat of my fiesta with a lady I had met, having an interesting discussion about star gazing.

We were rudely interrupted by an enthusiastic knock on the window from Stan Collymore. As a comedy aside, his belt must have broken as he seemed unaware his trousers were round his ankles.

14 hours ago, Olé said:

I think we're stretching the definition of "unexpected" a little when mentioning them in pubs, bars, holiday resorts or planes...

These are footballers we're talking about! Has anyone actually met a footballer in a library, a museum, or a spiritual retreat? 

How about Lois Diony driving towards you on the wrong side of the road filming himself? That would be more unexpected.

Funny you should say that. Back in 2009 I chanced across some member of the Chelsea team in the National Portrait Gallery.

One of them said to me, 'What's that?'

I said, 'It's art Deco'

14 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Just noticed the 'Unexpected Places' part. 

Mark Viduka in a WH Smiths in Leeds. Des Walker outside my house. Tony Currie used to block our drive quite often with his van. Typical United. 

Oh jeez, I read that as "Tim Curry" thinking that would be particularly scary if you remember a certain film in the very early 90's oh and I don't remember him as a footballer :facepalm:

Image result for tim curry IT

14 hours ago, Olé said:

How about Lois Diony driving towards you on the wrong side of the road filming himself? That would be more unexpected.

I think meeting Alan Walsh at the top of the pineapple slide at The Tropicana is pretty special (and somewhat unexpected) :sun:

I stood behind Gareth Chilcott at the Whitchurch Sports Centre watching a City game (Millwall rings a bell but not sure).

I know he isn't a footballer, and since he is a City fan, seeing him at Whitchurch watching a City game is not unexpected, but I wanted to get in on the action and was feeling left out.

:sad26:

58 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Funny you should say that. Back in 2009 I chanced across some member of the Chelsea team in the National Portrait Gallery.

One of them said to me, 'What's that?'

I said, 'It's art Deco'

Art Deco ?  …. Who signed him,  and when did he play for Chelsea?  :ermm: 

(typical uncouth footballer asking the question too, should have asked  '' Who is that? " not ''What'' . :yawn:

Took a pee next to Michael Owen. He farted loudly. Tried to peek but he had it strategically covered.

See loads of footballers at my gym as I live in the footballer belt in Cheshire. Sick of the sight of Robbie Savage and Dwight Yorke.

in my Bristol days I once sold a pair of boots to Russell Osman’s son

18 hours ago, RT's Vaseline Tub said:

Met Lee Peacock outside his bar in Pallma Nova + Peter Beardsley in his duffle coat outside Selfridges on Oxford Street.

I frequently go to Palmanova. Which bar is his?

Used to see a lot of City players in Cheesleys pub in Pill back in the first division days.

Served Gerry Gow and Trevor Tainton with petrol at a garage in Whitchurch where I had a part time job as a youngster. 

Geoff Merick bathing naked on a beach in Zante also springs to mind.

Have frequently spotted Aden Flint arount Portishead and the Mall.

Also found myself sat next to Claudio Ranieri and his family on abeach at St Ives not long after he had been sacked by Chelski.

Not Football related but the Michael Owen story above made me chuckle, as about 5 ears ago me and the wife were in London to see Bruce Springstein at Wembley.

In our hotel we were staying at (treated ourselves to a stay at the Strand), Mel Gibson was there, he was stood with all his bodyguards and he was in the bar. Me being an idiot and rather drunk, stood up all of 4 foot from him and shouted I'm William Wallace and followed it with Freedom at the top of my voice. The whole bar just turned and looked at me as if I was sort sort of plonker, and Mel Gibson just looked at me and nodded . My Mrs who was unsuspecting of this childish attitude went bright red and quickly told me that I had, had enough to drink and it was bedtime. 

David James in Chudleigh Post Office.

John Galley in Rushcliffe Borough Council’s Planning Department.

Joe Royle in Oldham Planning Department.

Neil Warnock at Sedgemoor Services - very friendly.

Not football but

- few beers with Alex Higgins in corbieres cellar bar in Manchester.

Served petrol to Viv Richards Joel Garner regularly in Taunton. 

Few beers with Derek Randall in Masons Arms in Taunton- nice bloke. 

Archived