IGNORED

Meeting footballers in unexpected places.

cidered abroad

LJ and Gerks at an open day. LJ made my then 2 year old cry. The git.

Tinman and Flapper down town in what used to be Reflex. Tins was in a right mood but Steve was happy as Larry and spent ages chatting to me and my mate about football.

Tins again at David Lloyd by the P&R. He was on the cross trainer. I was on a step machine. Years ago now.

Scotty numerous times down town on a Saturday night or KFC on a Sunday morning. First time ever though was Natwest in North St. He had that shit yellow Renault Megane soft-top. Told him the car was frigging awful but it was some sponsorship deal with the club iirc.

My best one was Trundle. Came into my shop looking for a power lead for a Samsung TV. He gave me his address and everything when I tried to trace his receipt. Managed to order him one from a parts company.

Just remembered few more. 

Jeremy Goss in a KFC in Sheffield. This was in his Norwich days, no idea what he was doing up here (other than eating KFC of course) 

Worked at Capita in Sheffield a few years ago, Carl Asaba had rented the office upstairs so would see him most days. 

Kevin Pressman doing unbelievable dives off the 7 metre diving board at Chesterfield Swimming baths. He was like a fat Tom Daley. 

Neil Warnock in a petrol station. 

Russell Slade shopping in Asda in Leyton. 

I sat next to Howard Wilkinson on a flight back from Geneva once. He was very interesting.

Mark Lawrenson and Ray Stubbs sat in the row in front of me on a short flight from IoM to Manchester, they seemed in high spirits.

A friend was at business school with Emilio Buetragano and I was introduced to him a couple of times including on a flight to Geneva (far too much flying.....), though his English was worse than my Spanish.

Dad knew Chris Garland quite well so met Chris a few times when I was a youngster. Dad’s boss had been a City goalkeeper in the 1930s and was well-known at the club in the 1960s/70s so I met most of the players from then at some time or another.

My grandparents’ milkman in the mid-1970s was an ex-Gas player from the 1950s, sorry don’t know who he was but guess that means my grandparents bought their milk from the Dunfords.

Met Cheese in a pub in Chipping Sodbury not long after he was forced to pack in.

Played cricket in the same team once as Biff and also against him. He could really hit a ball.

2 hours ago, Rich_s said:

Frankie in the gents at the top of House of Fraser in Cabot Circus. Not sure how unexpected that is though as we're both blokes and it is Bristol. Didn't strike up conversation though as it was only him and me in there at the urinals and it may have seemed a bit weird.

Did he put it straight down the middle or did it go flying off to the side?

On 22/05/2018 at 14:25, Lordofthebling said:

Met Junior Bent in Kingswood in the 80s.

Met Nigel Clough on holiday in Alcudia in the early 90s.

Was celebrating Bristol City's recent promotion to the championship in San Carlos, when one by one, in came the Bristol City squad. Scott Murray held the toilet door open for me too. 

....so that you could watch him ?....now THAT'S a real fan....

A Friday morning in December 2004. I've woken a bit late and blurry-eyed after a Christmas party, look out of my window and see someone who looks like Clayton Fortune taking furniture out of a van outside the house. Decide I'm hallucinating and need more sleep before going out again that evening. Forget all about it until a couple of days later my 12 year old City-mad daughter excitedly tells me that Danny Coles is in next door's back garden. Turns out he's our new next door neighbour and Clayton had been helping him move in. My daughter still hasn't forgiven me for not accepting DC's invitation (by polite note popped through door apologising in advance for the noise) to go round for his New Year's party a couple of weeks later, with lots of City players in attendance.

Never did meet Clayton Fortune.

Saw Dennis Law in the King's Head Pub on Bridgewater Rd many moons ago. It was at the time Gordon Lowe (who was his cousin apparently) was playing for City and he lived around the corner. Watched Dennis who was in his prime at the time, downing the pints and smoking heaps and thought,as a young lad, if it's good enough for him etc. Thanks Dennis!

Met Bobby Moore in St Jean De Luz, 1982. 

We were staying there before travelling to Bilbao for the England games. One day him and his missus just wandered down the street, we had a quick chat. He, and his missus were sound. What a privilege.

Perhaps not so unexpected but in the 70's when Arsenal played in the Midlands on their return trip about half the team were dropped off in the White Hart Pub ,Southgate North London..

As I recall Alan Ball use to get particular stick from the Tottenham fans with cries Of "Hello Alan" in  squeaky high pitched voices.

I saw him confront one particular lairy individual and told him " be original  son"and just walk off. 

4 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

:cool2: Stolen telly then.. ?   @JulieH   

Can confirm he did purchase said telly from certain electrical company named after an Indian cuisine.

Said he lost the power cable on the move from Wales to Bristol. I was about 7 months pregnant at the time and I was searching everywhere for a spare (sometimes we kept old stock parts).

Sat opposite Richard Keogh on the 41 going through Eston. Didn't recognise him at first when he strolled on, just thought who is this tryhard kid in City shorts and City tracksuit and bag, did baby just have a birthday? then i saw how ridiculously huge his legs were, realized who it was then and wished him luck getting games. 

Bumped into Marvin Elliott at a bar in Bali, end of last year. 

It was his birthday so him and his missus had gone out for a few drinks but on the way they had a "Barney Rubble" (to quote him) and she walked off.

Some bird on the table next to us overheard our conversation about him playing for City and they ended up talking/drinking at the bar all night. :whistle2:

Archived