IGNORED

Looking forward to the World Cup ?

I love everything about the World Cup:

The fans; the sun-soaked pitches; the foreign directors stuck in the 70's who still zoom in on that gaggle of Brazilian/Danish/Icelandic supermodels in the crowd every time there is a lull in play.

The dark horse who makes it out of the group; the middleweight South/Central American/African team that plays swashbuckling kamikaze football all the way to the quarters.

The cosiness of the BBC studio, Gary Lineker in chinos; Glenn Hoddle destroying the English language the Penalty Shootouts; trying to spot a City flag at England matches.

1 minute ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I love everything about the World Cup:

The fans; the sun-soaked pitches; the foreign directors stuck in the 70's who still zoom in on that gaggle of Brazilian/Danish/Icelandic supermodels in the crowd every time there is a lull in play.

The dark horse who makes it out of the group; the middleweight South/Central American/African team that plays swashbuckling kamikaze football all the way to the quarters.

The cosiness of the BBC studio, Gary Lineker in chinos; Glenn Hoddle destroying the English language the Penalty Shootouts; trying to spot a City flag at England matches.

So, almost everything except the football. :clapping:

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but the games aren't as exciting as they were when I was a kid, it's all about not getting beaten now rather than winning. That being said I can remember a few boring games, usually involving Italy or Germany when I was younger

Brazil 82 and France 84 (if I can add a Euro's in here as well) were just a delight to watch

As for England, if we get to QF I'd see that as progress. I like the young squad that Southgate has picked, shouldn't be too much fear about them. Just hope we let the lads play

Something lovely about settling down for a game at 8pm. Kids in bed, cold drink or two, still warm outside. Lovely

Yes. Only 24 days now until I arrive in Volgograd ahead of England v Tunisia - can't believe how quickly it has come around.

Looking forward to seeing some other Russian cities (having only previously been to Moscow), especially St Petersburg during the white nights.

Hoping for a better showing from England than the disappointment of Brazil four years ago.

I like how optimistic I am now ahead of the tournament every time. Then watch us fail, promise I will not let myself get drawn in by the hype around England again then next World Cup comes round and am certain we will win it! 

I look at our squad objectively and think no chance but then think - well Harry Kane is one of the best strikers in the world, Pickford can play out from the back, Trent A-A burst onto the scene and we have lots of pace etc, our group is very achievable (second at very least) and then once in the knock out rounds you never know! Am so senselessly optimistic and still will be after the inevitable 0-0 drawn with Tunisia!!

Certainly makes the close season so much more exciting though! 

As an aside I am excited to see the greatest international attack vs defence duel since Pele vs Moore when Messi takes on Mags!

• Admin

What I do enjoy is watching a game of football and supporting the same team as my mates

We all support different club sides and spend the season ribbing each other etc, so nice to share the ups and downs with these people

England should be good enough to get to the quarter finals, then it is the luck of who we get 

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

Yes. Only 24 days now until I arrive in Volgograd ahead of England v Tunisia - can't believe how quickly it has come around.

Looking forward to seeing some other Russian cities (having only previously been to Moscow), especially St Petersburg during the white nights.

Hoping for a better showing from England than the disappointment of Brazil four years ago.

What are England's ticket sales looking like for the first 3 games?

4 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

England to lose in R16 on penalties to Colombia.

Rate Croatia as a dark horse, very good side. Argentina and Neymar to disappoint. 

I was looking at the Croatia squad the other day and was thinking about how special their midfield is. I'd swap their squad for ours any day of the week. 

I love the World Cup. It's by far the best tournament in football for me.

Hell, I don't even mind that England are shit. We still get a solid three games in the group stages, and if we're lucky a draw against a country that is going to spank us in the knockout stages.

Those first few weeks are magical. Football is on all the time, and the weather is lovely for either watching it outside or in a pub. After that, when the knockout stages are on, it's more casual. England are out, the pubs are a bit quieter, and you get some legitimate surprises (i.e. Germany destroying Brazil).

I think we might do reasonably well, I think I'd be fairly happy with Quarter Final.

I think the good thing about this squad is that we seem to have picked players with a certain system in mind.. not just picked players because they're deemed good.

We've seen how often an unspectacular looking squad can overachieve by playing a particular system effectively.. maybe this time it could be us.

I know it's not exactly fashionable to say this, but we do also have some very good players, Kane, Sterling, Walker.. on their day Alli, Lingard and Vardy can be match winners too.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We've seen how often an unspectacular looking squad can overachieve by playing a particular system effectively.. maybe this time it could be us.

As more of a neutral (ish) I have a feeling England will surprise people. Hungrier younger set of players and in my memory the lowest expectations I can ever remember this close to a tournament. Play without pressure and no early meltdown from the tabloids and I reckon England have the ingredients to pick up some momentum. And there's something fateful about it being in Russia what with all the recent shenanigans, you can write the script now. 

I did a world cup predictor when I was bored at work once the groups were released. Had us go out in the quarter final to Brazil.... Which is the same night that I am an usher at my friends wedding (bad planning) 

Argentina to win. They'll set a record for most goals conceded for a winning country. With their attacking prowess, they'll just out score everyone. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What are England's ticket sales looking like for the first 3 games?

The only one of the three that required a ballot to be run among travel club members is (perhaps unsurprisingly) the Belgium game, for which 44 or more caps were required to be guaranteed a ticket.

I haven't seen any official figures of how many tickets were sold for the games in Volgograd or Nizhny Novgorod, but I suspect there will be a decent number of England fans at both games. From memory, only one of our three games in Brazil required a ballot, but there was an excellent turnout in each of Manaus, Sao Paulo and Belo Horizonte - both through the travel club, and from fans who'd bought tickets independently.

1 hour ago, Coppello said:

I was looking at the Croatia squad the other day and was thinking about how special their midfield is. I'd swap their squad for ours any day of the week. 

Front 2 sn't bad either, Mandzukic and Perisic are great. Shockingly Iceland qualified ahead of them! 

49 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Front 2 sn't bad either, Mandzukic and Perisic are great. Shockingly Iceland qualified ahead of them! 

They had a bloke who could throw the ball a long way.

4 hours ago, Xspence said:

I like how optimistic I am now ahead of the tournament every time. Then watch us fail, promise I will not let myself get drawn in by the hype around England again then next World Cup comes round and am certain we will win it! 

I look at our squad objectively and think no chance but then think - well Harry Kane is one of the best strikers in the world, Pickford can play out from the back, Trent A-A burst onto the scene and we have lots of pace etc, our group is very achievable (second at very least) and then once in the knock out rounds you never know! Am so senselessly optimistic and still will be after the inevitable 0-0 drawn with Tunisia!!

Certainly makes the close season so much more exciting though! 

As an aside I am excited to see the greatest international attack vs defence duel since Pele vs Moore when Messi takes on Mags!

Italia 90 And wasn’t a great deal of optimism at getting out the group with Holland and a decent Ireland team in our group but things just clicked and a certain Gazza entered the world stage - you never know, a bit of luck and we could do ok and then.......

Archived