IGNORED

Looking forward to the World Cup ?

I'm looking forward to it and always do, even though in recent years I've become increasingly indifferent about England and have pretty low expectations of our chances in this tournament.

I don't think any World Cup will compare to the 1982 one, though. It was the first one I watched (I was 8) and I remember being captivated with how exotic it all seemed. There was also that wonderful game between Italy and Brazil. 

12 minutes ago, just like watching brazil said:

I will  hopefully be sitting next to a Brazilian supermodel as I’m going to see Brazil v Costa Rica.

Will you be updating your username after the world cup once it has been proven to you that watching Bristol City really is nothing like watching Brazil?

9 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Will you be updating your username after the world cup once it has been proven to you that watching Bristol City really is nothing like watching Brazil?

Or to just like staring at a Brazilian?!!!?

I am simply as excited as I was at every previous World Cup. Which is like I was when I started watching them in 78. This is despite all the usual corporate sh*** around it and lack of home expectations.

Would love to see Russia humiliated though, just to see the look on Putin's face. Must be a chance with Uruguay and Salah's Egypt in their group. Can only hope. 

6 hours ago, Rob k said:

Few of us out to Kaliningrad so looking forward to that - love going out to watch the England games, hopefully these young lads will do us proud 

We're heading to that one too; can't wait for it now (ticket arrived yesterday). I think england will surprise a few, feeling good about the squad.

6 hours ago, North London Red said:

Yes. Only 24 days now until I arrive in Volgograd ahead of England v Tunisia - can't believe how quickly it has come around.

Looking forward to seeing some other Russian cities (having only previously been to Moscow), especially St Petersburg during the white nights.

Hoping for a better showing from England than the disappointment of Brazil four years ago.

St Petersburg at night, make sure you go on the bus tour and see the bridges being raised,  that's if the river is not too rough.  Then after that in August you can come to Tallinn and see the Super Cup if you can get a ticket.  The capacity at The A  Le Cog Arena is usually 9,800,  but they are extending it to 15,000 for this game.

5 hours ago, Coppello said:

I was looking at the Croatia squad the other day and was thinking about how special their midfield is. I'd swap their squad for ours any day of the week. 

And at 33's somewhat better value than England !..

May have a cheeky tenner..

7 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but the games aren't as exciting as they were when I was a kid, it's all about not getting beaten now rather than winning. That being said I can remember a few boring games, usually involving Italy or Germany when I was younger

Brazil 82 and France 84 (if I can add a Euro's in here as well) were just a delight to watch

As for England, if we get to QF I'd see that as progress. I like the young squad that Southgate has picked, shouldn't be too much fear about them. Just hope we let the lads play

Something lovely about settling down for a game at 8pm. Kids in bed, cold drink or two, still warm outside. Lovely

I remember 82 in Spain,we had a really good team,ithink we stuffed the frogs 3-0 and Platini never forgave us for that.

We didnt even lose a game but ithink we had to beat Spain and ended up drawing and we were all over them.

Looking forward to it. Sweden are in the same group as Germany, Mexico and South Korea. We have not a strong team so I think Germany and Mexico take the nr1 and 2. It will be very interesting, think Argentina can go all the way. We will play boring as usual with hopefully a strong defence. Zlatan is not going to play so I dont know who can score for us.

8 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I love everything about the World Cup:

The fans; the sun-soaked pitches; the foreign directors stuck in the 70's who still zoom in on that gaggle of Brazilian/Danish/Icelandic supermodels in the crowd every time there is a lull in play.

The dark horse who makes it out of the group; the middleweight South/Central American/African team that plays swashbuckling kamikaze football all the way to the quarters.

The cosiness of the BBC studio, Gary Lineker in chinos; Glenn Hoddle destroying the English language the Penalty Shootouts; trying to spot a City flag at England matches.

In short, nope!

standard England failure and German machine-like dominance again!

Maybe it's because I am an old duffer and getting older: things don't seem to be so exciting or captivating as they used to. Generally. But I now feel almost guilty that I don't have the same feeling that I had in the 80's or 90's. Have the national team been so detrimental and desperate that I have become conditioned to the continual disappointment. It's made me, a proud Englishman, less.

I will still fly the flag, regardless. :englandflag:

Starting to get excited.

Tickets came through this week for the Panama game in some well off the beaten track city east of Moscow that I certainly can't spell without looking.

Looking forward nervously to a 20 hour train ride from Moscow to Kaliningrad for the Belgium game although we don't have tickets for that one.

3 hours ago, FramptonRed said:

I remember 82 in Spain,we had a really good team,ithink we stuffed the frogs 3-0 and Platini never forgave us for that.

We didnt even lose a game but ithink we had to beat Spain and ended up drawing and we were all over them.

Sounds about right too me. Brought a half fit Keegan and Brooking on to try and break them down in that game. Failed!

Used to get right up and look forward to World Cups/Euro Championships but over the past 10/20 years that’s fading away, unsure why, maybe a few reasons, England being shite, players not caring as much as they used to, more of a chore to some of them these days. Having said that I’m quietly confident that we will suprise a few at this World Cup (probably thought the same before the last one too mind).

Went to all of England’s group games in Germany 06’ and had the time of my life over there, the least fun I had was actually inside the stadiums watching the Football, fair play to the Germans they had everything spot on, fan zones they had were incredible, the locals were brilliant, police actually shut off streets where England fans were congregating and not allowing German fans through, all without one bit of trouble, sadly the way FIFA now ‘decide’ who and how gets chosen to host these tournaments (whoever pays them the highest bribe) we’ll never have a World Cup hosted like that again.

6 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Starting to get excited.

Tickets came through this week for the Panama game in some well off the beaten track city east of Moscow that I certainly can't spell without looking.

Looking forward nervously to a 20 hour train ride from Moscow to Kaliningrad for the Belgium game although we don't have tickets for that one.

15  caps will get you a ticket mate if you are a member of the etc

2 hours ago, Markred said:

Rubbish England squad, give me one player with the exception of Harry Kane who's club would suffer massively if they were injured...

Nope not one, its a travesty that players like Wilshere & Shelvey aren't in that squad..

There was an interesting article by Martin Samuel a few days ago on the England squad. He made the point that Shelvey’s pass completion rate is actually relatively low (even though he often looks decent on a Match of the Day highlights reel). Something like 1 in 4 of his passes go to the opposition - and you just can’t afford that against the better teams you’ll come up against in a World Cup. 

As for Wilshere, England will play three games in eleven days - and hopefully four in fourteen or fifteen days if we progress out of the group. Can you honestly see Wilshere being (and staying) fit enough to play a meaningful part? I don’t think he helped his case by pulling out of the squad for the recent friendlies against Holland and Italy, either. 

The one omission I do have an issue with is Lallana - I can’t see how he’s deemed to be fit enough to be on the standby list but not fit enough to be in the main squad (especially if he plays in Kiev on Saturday). 

Still love the WC. Hate the England games. Too bloody stressful nowadays for me as love my country too much!

Had too many disappointments over the years, like many on here, went away with England lots years ago including the Italia 90 WC.

Nowadays, get the impression that the players are disinterested in England games, (there managers certainly are, especially the foreign ones). Years ago the WC was a massive thing for me. We ain't even got a song this time round! England away in Europe is still a good crack though on the right games.

Come on England!!!

Noticed on sky sports this morning that 3 of the 5 top scorers in the premiership this season are i in the England squad and should play,also this squad has no Gerrards, Lampards,Rooneys etc so might just go under the radar. Hope that the last group game is a shootout for who takes top spot then go from there.

as with city  every year you always have to be optimistic and who knows with a little luck and momentum get through to the quarters then anything can happen

how ever it pans out it can’t be no worse then 4 years ago when we never got out the group and the last game was a dead rubber.........

23 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Starting to get excited.

You will easy get one id have thought 

I have never been less interested in a World Cup to be fair. I am not sure if it still bitterness around the suspect corruption of Russia and quatar being awarded these world cups ahead of England. The Russian hooligans of last year also make me think life could be in danger this summer.

but most of all is that being half Italian a World Cup without azzuri does not feel the same. The best national anthem that lovely blue kit and the romance of Italy at a World Cup :-(

I’ve just started picking up interest in the last week, putting the group games in my outlook calendar and then tentatively putting the next phase games for winning and finishing second in the group.

All England games are at good viewing times, although there is something about being in work and having a 3 hour lunch break / late start / early finish to achieve watching a daytime game.

No expectations of going deep into the tournament, but I’ve started to enjoy the way we playing under Southgate and he’s not picked anyone on name.  You’re never gonna agree with all 23, but I reckon I agreed with 21 of them 100%.  I don’t see a sterile performance that we’ve had to endure in previous tournaments.

Archived