IGNORED

Ed Balls on watchdog fighting for standing sections

Maggersno1Fan

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Didn’t realise standing was only banned in the top two divisions.

So IF them over the road did get promoted to the championship, what the hell would they do about a ground?!

I think that promoted clubs are allowed 3 seasons to comply with all seater ruling.  Not sure if tents are allowed though. 

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

So IF them over the road did get promoted to the championship, what the hell would they do about a ground?!

Never watch Watchdog but it happened to be on the tv so I was interested in the safe standing feature. They said Shrewsbury had some safe standing installed for next season, but IF they get promoted in a few days time they won’t be able to use it.

Regarding the Gas, don’t teams in this situation get a bit of leeway if they have plans to relocate or redevelop? All they got to do is dig out their pie in the sky plans and they are covered...for a while

13 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Put out a few fold up chairs

21 minutes ago, RedM said:

Never watch Watchdog but it happened to be on the tv so I was interested in the safe standing feature. They said Shrewsbury had some safe standing installed for next season, but IF they get promoted in a few days time they won’t be able to use it.

Regarding the Gas, don’t teams in this situation get a bit of leeway if they have plans to relocate or redevelop? All they got to do is dig out their pie in the sky plans and they are covered...for a while

They got that wrong about Shrewsbury.  Under current rules they could use it for three seasons before having to go all seater. But hopefully things will change before then.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

But if a club is already all seater because more than three seasons in top two leagues, they cannot revert to standing areas. 

That is right but I believe that Shrewsbury are not technically an all seater stadium because they were not forced to go all seater having not met this 3 year criteria in the past.. @Blagdon red will be able to explain 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

* They’d be ****** as Wally would have to put up or shut up, and we all know (apart from them who lap everything they are told up) what would happen.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

more plastic chairs evolution not revolution.   

19 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Brentford is standing in the away end. So can’t be entirely banned, promoted team or not. 

Brentford have received dispensation from the FA as they are currently building a new all-seater ground. Cardiff had the same dispensation for Ninian Park when they were building their new lego stadium.  

Safe standing is a lot safer than standing in a seated stand, everyone can see that and you don't need any report to tell you. In this day and age I am more surprised they haven't brought in on the spot fines for standing in seated areas due to "health and safety"!!! It is safer, people want it, clubs want it, it would stop potential arguments when some fans want to stand and others want to sit. An absolute no brainer for anyone with any common sense, yet not here in England.

15 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

They wouldn't stand for it!

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Big piece on the Guardian's site about Shrewsbury's new rail seat area

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/24/shrewsbury-safe-standing-league-one-rail-seating-rotherham-play-off-final

This bit seemed odd though "The seats at Shrewsbury are unlikely to be used during matches..." Anyone know why this is the case?

They will probably be locked up - will stop problems with people standing on the seats .

24 minutes ago, Barkhamred said:

They will probably be locked up - will stop problems with people standing on the seats .

Ah...my mistake. When they said the seats wouldn't be used I read it as meaning the entire area would not be used.  Obviously you're correct and the seats will be locked up so technically won't be used.

10 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Big piece on the Guardian's site about Shrewsbury's new rail seat area

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/24/shrewsbury-safe-standing-league-one-rail-seating-rotherham-play-off-final

This bit seemed odd though "The seats at Shrewsbury are unlikely to be used during matches..." Anyone know why this is the case?

The football at Shrewsbury is so boring it only attracts poor crowds - even the man in the coracle has disappeared. Seriously, I think the article is trying to say that the 'saets' will be locked up.

Also from the same article, and for those that aren't aware, the Jon Darch mentioned below is, in fact, Blagdon Red, from this parish, and, it would seem from the highlighted section, quite possibly the founder of our own 'Forza and Ultras'.   

“We spoke with Jon Darch and thought this could work for us.”

Darch is the evangelist of safe standing. He says he is “someone who hates things that are illogical” and that denying fans the choice to stand at football grounds is one such thing. For the past decade he has devoted his life to the subject, driving a van fitted with a small sample of rail seating up and down the country. He is at the launch, in aviator shades and a fawn shirt looking like a lower-ranking member of the Corleone family. “It’s backbreaking stuff, I can tell you,” he says of his passion.

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The football at Shrewsbury is so boring it only attracts poor crowds - even the man in the coracle has disappeared. Seriously, I think the article is trying to say that the 'saets' will be locked up.

Also from the same article, and for those that aren't aware, the Jon Darch mentioned below is, in fact, Blagdon Red, from this parish, and, it would seem from the highlighted section, quite possibly the founder of our own 'Forza and Ultras'.   

“We spoke with Jon Darch and thought this could work for us.”

Darch is the evangelist of safe standing. He says he is “someone who hates things that are illogical” and that denying fans the choice to stand at football grounds is one such thing. For the past decade he has devoted his life to the subject, driving a van fitted with a small sample of rail seating up and down the country. He is at the launch, in aviator shades and a fawn shirt looking like a lower-ranking member of the Corleone family. “It’s backbreaking stuff, I can tell you,” he says of his passion.

Yeah, evidently I'm one of the mafia now!

As someone above said, Watchdog were wrong about Shrewsbury not being able to use the rail seats if they go up. As others have said, they can do so for 3 seasons, by which time the rules will almost certainly have changed.

They've been able to put in rail seats because they are not subject to the all-seater legislation. They built their new ground as an all-seater 11 years ago by choice, not because the law required it.

Clubs are normally required to go all-seater after 3 seasons in the Championship, but the govt does not have to issue a "seating order" and can exercise discretion. They did this for Cardiff when they were building their new stadium (and so Cardiff played for 5 seasons with terraces at Ninian Park in the Championship) and they are doing so again for Brentford, who will start their 5th season with terraces in the Championship in August (and will probably play a 6th in 2019/20, assuming they stay in the division, as Lionel Road is unlikely to finished before then).

STFC are not being allowed to use the rail seats as seats for football games (not that they'd want to), but will probably use them as seats for a Lionel Richie concert that they have coming up in a week or two.

I don’t get their argument about safety, I’ve just found this pic I took at the Etihad. We were front row upper, the seats in front were very low and far more dangerous and easy to trip over. Yet that’s ok. Someone standing with a support and dedicated seat isn’t. I hope they see sense soon

E482AE63-FE7F-46AC-BD9F-80E929ADECD9.jpeg

On 25/05/2018 at 00:30, Blagdon red said:

They've been able to put in rail seats because they are not subject to the all-seater legislation. They built their new ground as an all-seater 11 years ago by choice, not because the law required it.

Clubs are normally required to go all-seater after 3 seasons in the Championship, but the govt does not have to issue a "seating order" and can exercise discretion. They did this for Cardiff when they were building their new stadium (and so Cardiff played for 5 seasons with terraces at Ninian Park in the Championship) and they are doing so again for Brentford, who will start their 5th season with terraces in the Championship in August (and will probably play a 6th in 2019/20, assuming they stay in the division, as Lionel Road is unlikely to finished before then).

When we were building the new South Stand, (we weren't in the Championship) I thought the rules were that you couldn't revert to standing from an all seater stadium. I had just assumed things had moved on - Shrewsbury's being more tolerable etc. It would be interesting to see how quickly the consensus of parliament and the football league will change, I am sure it will at some point. 

Archived