IGNORED

JT promotion clause...

SecretSam

2 minutes ago, Dman_Red said:

This. I wouldn't put it past JT doing something like this, as he has previous form for cringe worthy "look at me" moments like the full kit champions league celebrations and his personally organised staged 26th minute substitution in his final Chelsea game. I'm no fan of JT, but let's see if it actually happens before having a go.

Iniesta has said he didn't want to play in Europe to avoid playing Barcelona (or was it the new $30 million a year contract?!) and I didn't see much criticism of him?

Read that while JT might want such a clause, Villa are not prepared to let him have it.

Quite right too - If he's their employee he can't then pick and chose who he plays against.

Out of curiosity, could any of you play against Bristol City competitively as a footballer? Say it was the last game of the season, you’re a decent striker, 93rd minute, 1 on 1 with the keeper knowing if you score you’d send us down.... would you slot it in? 

Sounds bad but if that was me i’d deliberately miss. I could play against us but couldn’t send us down. 

I can see where Terry is coming from but it’s an absolutely ridiculous decision from him. 

6 minutes ago, Negan said:

Out of curiosity, could any of you play against Bristol City competitively as a footballer? Say it was the last game of the season, you’re a decent striker, 93rd minute, 1 on 1 with the keeper knowing if you score you’d send us down.... would you slot it in? 

Sounds bad but if that was me i’d deliberately miss. I could play against us but couldn’t send us down. 

I can see where Terry is coming from but it’s an absolutely ridiculous decision from him. 

I'd spank it in to outer space.

33 minutes ago, Negan said:

Bloody right I would then celebrate in style in front of the Dolman.

54 minutes ago, Negan said:

Dennis Law done it for Man City playing against Man Utd although I think it was something like the 80 min

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Christ knows I’ve no desire to defend the racist ephitet-spouting serial blue badge parking space abuser over anything but everyone seems to be ignoring the fact John Terry has NOT actually said anything of the sort.

Steve Bruce has given a hypothetical answer to a question about whether Terry would extend his contract due to his desire not to play Chelsea and said that is what he would do to keep Terry IF he were asked to do so. It does not mean Terry has asked for it or will ask for it. It is complete speculation on Bruce’s part that had bee taken woefully out of context.

In realty I don’t think Premier League rules would allow this in a contract as it would unfairly give an advantage to one team (in that a team is picking a weaker aside against them and nobody else) and, now Bruce has said it, Villa could get fined if they do it. If JT did want this, the more sensible thing all round would be to quietly have him injured for those games as someone mentioned above.

With loan players, there has to be a clause you do not play your parent club to avoid a conflict of interwar but I am near certain it is not permitted for permanent transfers. I remember Man Utd tried to do it when they sold Howard to Everton and were told it was not allowed. So we are speculating on something that John Terry has not asked for and which would probably not be sanctioned anyway.

You mean a situation such as Matty Taylor playing against Rovers and scoring a last minute winner in an end of season match to send them down?

Not that such a scenario would be likely in the near future. 

7 hours ago, Simon79 said:

You mean Coventry, but I get what you mean. Let me ask you this, would you say the same if Taylor said he couldn’t play against the Gas? Just a thought! COYR 

Taylor isn’t a City legend, so no comparison here.

I simply don’t get the Terry hatred, a lot of which is down to his orchestrated departure from Chelsea. Yes, it was cheesy, but not from Chelsea fans’ perspective, who welcomed the opportunity to see off a true legend.

If the hatred is related to the race incident, then fair enough.

3 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

I simply don’t get the Terry hatred, a lot of which is down to his orchestrated departure from Chelsea. Yes, it was cheesy, but not from Chelsea fans’ perspective, who welcomed the opportunity to see off a true legend.

Plenty of reasons. Offending American tourists about 9/11, beating up hotel staff, racist ****, allegedly taking money for training ground visits that should've been used for charity, parking in disabled bays, cheating on his best mate with his wife. And that's before being a full kit ******* :facepalm:  Don't hate him personally as it's a massively strong word but you can see why people really don't like him! 

The other month Steve Bruce said out of all his signings John Terry was the most astute. His influence in the dressing room and on the pitch has been worth every penny of his contract. Just the type of player City need to target next season as our lack of a leader (as LJ has bemoaned) has probably prevented us taking that final step up., and why Fulham if they fail to win would like in their team. He's earnt  a new deal , and there are ways round him not being picked for games against Chesea . 

6 hours ago, Robin TBW said:

If Terry is employed by Villa he should play against whoever he is fit to play against. It's his job.

Too obvious to be written into any contract (and probably would be against the spirit of the game and fair play) Suspect he won't be fit for those games or at least will only be on bench , along with another defender who would be first choice substitute if the need arose.  

3 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

Firstly, I don’t hate him or anyone I’ve come across. But as @lenred has pointed out, there are plenty of reasons to not want your daughter to turn up with him! As for the substitution in his last game, do it on 89 minuets like most people do. The 26 minuets thing, is a bit too much for me. My point with regards the Taylor comment, Is about trying to look at it from a different point of view ( a Villa fans if you like ). And yes, Taylor is no more a City legend than Terry is a Villa legend! COYR 

9 hours ago, Negan said:

I would score, wonder where the defense was as they would have had 20 minutes to catch me up.

Staggered at the ones saying what loyalty etc, yes fair enough it’s his boyhood team who’s seen as a legend by their supporters, but he signed a contract to play for Aston Villa whoever that may be against and for Villa to even think about putting this clause into his contract is a joke and they are just as bad as him. What must his team mates think of it? £80k a week or whatever it is but can’t or won’t play against his former club because it would be emotional :facepalm:

Some footballers need to grow a pair nowadays.

21 hours ago, Negan said:

You have to do your job for the club who pays your wages .

Who is to say that City going down would have been a bad thing ? 

All sorts of conjecture but fate is rarely in the hands , or feet , of just one person so don't fret .

Don't celebrate like Greg Cunningham though .

:disapointed2se:

On 25/05/2018 at 10:53, Negan said:

I really don’t know....closest I’ve known to a situation like this is when my mate (a manic Hearts fan) was signed by Hibs - he played against Hearts a few times and always gave his all....I asked him about it and he said as a pro footballer you owe it to the fans to give everything, especially against their rivals...great attitude....dunno how many could do the same thing...

On 25/05/2018 at 10:53, Negan said:

Many years ago (1974) Denis Law, the Man United legend, scored the goal that sent United down whilst playing for Man City. Never seen anybody look so upset about scoring a goal and he went off shortly afterwards. He got no aggro for it though - everybody recognised him as a complete pro and he's still a hero at United.

JT should do the right thing by the fans and club that pay his wages.

On 25/05/2018 at 02:53, Negan said:

The kind of luck I have I'd try to miss and end up delicately chipping it into the top corner!

22 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

The other month Steve Bruce said out of all his signings John Terry was the most astute. His influence in the dressing room and on the pitch has been worth every penny of his contract. Just the type of player City need to target next season as our lack of a leader (as LJ has bemoaned) has probably prevented us taking that final step up., and why Fulham if they fail to win would like in their team. He's earnt  a new deal , and there are ways round him not being picked for games against Chesea . 

Whilst I see your point the most conservative estimates put him on 60,000 a week (so about 3.1m a year - higher reports suggest he is closer to 75,000 a week) which would be crazy for us and really just serves to remind you how uneven a playing field we are on. He is on at least 3 times what we would consider a top earner. 

12 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Staggered at the ones saying what loyalty etc, yes fair enough it’s his boyhood team who’s seen as a legend by their supporters, but he signed a contract to play for Aston Villa whoever that may be against and for Villa to even think about putting this clause into his contract is a joke and they are just as bad as him. What must his team mates think of it? £80k a week or whatever it is but can’t or won’t play against his former club because it would be emotional :facepalm:

Some footballers need to grow a pair nowadays.

This and also hhahahahhahahahhaha

Archived