IGNORED

Championship next season- stronger or weaker?

MC RISK77

7 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Discuss?

depending on whether Shrewsbury or Rotherham go up?

my view is stronger with 3 strongly established prem teams coming down...burton gone Barnsley gone.

lools on paper harder than ever

I think on paper it will be. Blackburn & Wigan should be stronger than Barnsley & Sunderland. Shrews or Rotherham will be a bit like Burton. We`ve lost Wolves, Cardiff & Fulham but gained Swansea, Baggies and Stoke - marginally a bit weaker than the three that went up but not by much IMO. It really depends how many (if any) of the relegated clubs prove to be in freefall like Sunderland.

Think it's about the same. Wolves / Fulham going up, is kind of replaced by Stoke and Swansea coming down. Wigan and Blackburn in my opinion no stronger than 2 of the teams going down.

The difference is a couple of teams next year are on final parachute payments so will really go for it in the summer. 

Looks stronger to me.

Doubt that Blackburn & Wigan will repeat their mistakes from last time & think Stoke & West Brom will make a better job of challenging than Hull or (obviously) Sunderland did.

46 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

Think it's about the same. Wolves / Fulham going up, is kind of replaced by Stoke and Swansea coming down. Wigan and Blackburn in my opinion no stronger than 2 of the teams going down.

The difference is a couple of teams next year are on final parachute payments so will really go for it in the summer. 

Villa & Norwich are with Hull & Boro in their second season of three. With the three coming down that`s seven with parachute payments next season.

It`s all the unknowns that you have to factor in too. Will Reading & Brum be shite again? Will Blades & Millwall perform as well again? Will the likes of Wednesday & Forest get it together?

The one I think will do well next season is Leeds. They finally seem to have stopped being the car crash of a club they`ve been for years and I think this might be their season.

My opinion, FWIW, is something like this;

Top 8 (in no particular order)

Baggies, Stoke, Villa, Boro, Swansea, Leeds, Brentford, Hull

Mid table 8

Norwich, Us, Wednesday, Blackburn, Blades, Derby, Brum, PNE

Bottom 8

Wigan, Shrews/Rotherham, Reading, Bolton, QPR, Ipswich, Millwall, Forest

Personally don't think the teams coming down will be that strong, all will lose a good amount of their squad so unless they recruit well I'm not sure any will be challenging for the title straight away. 

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It`s all the unknowns that you have to factor in too. Will Reading & Brum be shite again? Will Blades & Millwall perform as well again? Will the likes of Wednesday & Forest get it together?

The one I think will do well next season is Leeds. They finally seem to have stopped being the car crash of a club they`ve been for years and I think this might be their season.

Mid table 8

Bottom 8

Think Villa might struggle  as they could lose a few players to the prem.  Also their financial issues with fair play may mean having to sell some players. Could see them in free fall if they don't get a good start next season. 

I think those coming up make it stronger but those coming down are weaker. 

Blackburn & Wigan will be vastly better than any of the 3 relegated, Burton, Barnsley & Sunderland. 

In Wolves & Fulham we’re losing 2 of the best teams this division has seen for years.

Of the relegated Prem teams, West Brom will be up there and look the best ones capable of bouncing straight back up. Stoke & Swansea have squads which I have absolutely no time for. They are not strong at all, and their strongest players (such as Shaqiri & Butland) will be gone. 

Overall, 2 decent teams coming up, but neither will be top 10. 1 decent team coming down. The other 2 will not be top 6. 

But. Sheff Weds will be better. Leeds will be better. Villa will be up there. Derby should do better. Boro will be better. Norwich ought to be better. Reading might be a bit better. Forest should improve. Brum should improve. 

I don’t think it’s those teams joining the league we need be too concerned of, but improvements to those already here. 

Edit. Forgot, Hull & Brentford will also be better. 

Whilst in the scheme of the division Cardiff might not seem that strong a side, for us that's always a horrible fixture we rarely get anything from.  Losing that means more to us in particular. 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

I think those coming up make it stronger but those coming down are weaker. 

Blackburn & Wigan will be vastly better than any of the 3 relegated, Burton, Barnsley & Sunderland. 

In Wolves & Fulham we’re losing 2 of the best teams this division has seen for years.

Of the relegated Prem teams, West Brom will be up there and look the best ones capable of bouncing straight back up. Stoke & Swansea have squads which I have absolutely no time for. They are not strong at all, and their strongest players (such as Shaqiri & Butland) will be gone. 

Overall, 2 decent teams coming up, but neither will be top 10. 1 decent team coming down. The other 2 will not be top 6. 

But. Sheff Weds will be better. Leeds will be better. Villa will be up there. Derby should do better. Boro will be better. Norwich ought to be better. Reading might be a bit better. Forest should improve. Brum should improve. 

I don’t think it’s those teams joining the league we need be too concerned of, but improvements to those already here. 

Edit. Forgot, Hull & Brentford will also be better. 

I agree with a lot of this except Derby & Norwich really. Derby have an ageing squad of high earners so I can see a major rebuild on the cards there with a couple of seasons of consolidation and Norwich appear to already be doing that - they`ll lose Maddison and one or two others and won`t replace them with world beaters IMO.

13 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Mid table 8

Bottom 8

And the biggest unknown is? 

City, of course. A start like a branch line milk train, and we'll be hitting the buffers before Christmas. 

12 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Stronger every season with more money coming into the championship, Blackburn and Wigan are two big Clubs. We’re definitely a little fish in a big pond.

Blackburn have history, mostly in the 19th century. 

Wigan a big club? Really? 

10 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Stronger every season with more money coming into the championship, Blackburn and Wigan are two big Clubs. We’re definitely a little fish in a big pond.

Whatever Blackburn and Wigan are, or have done in the past, they are not as well supported as us. 

I think it will be very similar.

A barometer of our progress could be how we done against the sides promoted alongside us and those promoted since us:

14/15

Preston - done consistently well

MK Dons - Down, Down, deeper on Down (definitely not kept the Status Quo)

15/16

Barnsley - down 2nd season

Wigan - Down 1st season

Burton - Down 2nd season

16/17

Millwall - great first season back

Sheffield Utd - very good first season back

Bolton - survived thanks to Wilbs

17/18

Blackburn - let’s see

Wigan - yo-yo team so let’s see

Shrewsbury or Rotherham

So, 3 Of the 8 Other sides promoted have done well. 4 have gone down either straightaway or the following season, 1, survived in the final minutes. 

Will be interesting to see how Millwall and Sheffield United do in their second seasons, and one of this seasons promoted clubs will probably keep their momentum, probably Blackburn.

So a tough division....again

It's inevitable that the championship will continue to become a more difficult division to get out of.....it's the end result of the parachute payment system. As more and more clubs come down from the premiership with ever increasing 'rewards for failure' it means that the rest of us will be fighting an uphill battle....simples !

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think on paper it will be. Blackburn & Wigan should be stronger than Barnsley & Sunderland. Shrews or Rotherham will be a bit like Burton. We`ve lost Wolves, Cardiff & Fulham but gained Swansea, Baggies and Stoke - marginally a bit weaker than the three that went up but not by much IMO. It really depends how many (if any) of the relegated clubs prove to be in freefall like Sunderland.

The 3 coming down won’t be weaker though because it’s another 3 clubs with parachute payments 

11 minutes ago, Crisis what Crisis ? said:

It's inevitable that the championship will continue to become a more difficult division to get out of.....it's the end result of the parachute payment system. As more and more clubs come down from the premiership with ever increasing 'rewards for failure' it means that the rest of us will be fighting an uphill battle....simples !

You say that but the number of clubs receiving some sort of parachute payment is broadly similar year on year.

I might have missed one or two but;

16/17  Cardiff, Norwich, Villa, Fulham, Hull, Newcastle, QPR, Derby (8)

17/18  Cardiff, Norwich, Fulham, Sunderland, Villa, Hull (6)

18/19  Swansea, Stoke, WBA, Villa, Norwich, Hull, Boro (7)

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Villa & Norwich are with Hull & Boro in their second season of three. With the three coming down that`s seven with parachute payments next season.

Villas parachute payment has been cut hugely https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-parachute-payments-when-11161706

I guess its the same for 'boro and Hull

I understand what you mean but that's still almost a third of the division in receipt of millions of pounds of extra funds that give them an advantage in the transfer market. Luckily a lot of them are ' basket case' clubs like Sunderland that would need bottomless pit of money to save them because of recklesss transfer dealings when they were in the top flight but others will be more than capable of using the payment to get a 'leg up' and unless three from that group you've highlighted below go up next year then the number will increase year on year. ...( I think we could easily see at least two of the promotion places going to teams on this list unfortunately)

26 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You say that but the number of clubs receiving some sort of parachute payment is broadly similar year on year.

I might have missed one or two but;

16/17  Cardiff, Norwich, Villa, Fulham, Hull, Newcastle, QPR, Derby (8)

17/18  Cardiff, Norwich, Fulham, Sunderland, Villa, Hull (6)

18/19  Swansea, Stoke, WBA, Villa, Norwich, Hull, Boro (7)

On 27/05/2018 at 10:06, Jack Dawe said:

Whatever Blackburn and Wigan are, or have done in the past, they are not as well supported as us. 

Not comparing them to us as I think we’re on a par with both clubs, just trying to say that their bigger than most clubs that could possibly come up from division one.

Archived