IGNORED

Brian Moore , Beards & Pitch Invasions - The Big Match

BobBobSuperBob

I know it will have little if any interest save all except a largish 50 ish plus contingent but BT Sport if you have it re run  (Mornings) episodes of the old (till 11am)

‘The Big Match’ 

Personally preferred The Big Match to Match Of Day as I liked Moore , the regional commentators Hugh Johns , Gerald Sinstadt etc , and the fact it was the only chance to see anything else than First Div Football

This mornings highlights have been a Derek Hales hat trick for Charlton , Grey haired Alan Woodward for Sheffield United and a Div Four encounter between Bury and Brighton where at each Bury goal there is a large pitch invasion by dozens of boys aged 6-14 !!!!!!! :laughcont:

Fantastic watch with a morning coffee for anyone who remembers those days

:ill:

BT sport 1

(Sky 413)

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I know it will have little if any interest save all except a largish 50 ish plus contingent but BT Sport if you have it re run  (Mornings) episodes of the old (till 11am)

‘The Big Match’ 

Personally preferred The Big Match to Match Of Day as I liked Moore , the regional commentators Hugh Johns , Gerald Sinstadt etc , and the fact it was the only chance to see anything else than First Div Football

This mornings highlights have been a Derek Hales hat trick for Charlton , Grey haired Alan Woodward for Sheffield United and a Div Four encounter between Bury and Brighton where at each Bury goal there is a large pitch invasion by dozens of boys aged 6-14 !!!!!!! :laughcont:

You think young lads then having harmless fun, now people on here would be calling for lifetime bans for them.

Some of the football is exceptional and interesting to look back on when comparing to the modern day

Currently a QPR side on with Masson , Bowles , Hollins ,a flying Dave Thomas with his ankles round his ankles - the skill and technique still breathtaking at times and plenty of players around that would shine in the modern era

4 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

You think young lads then having harmless fun, now people on here would be calling for lifetime bans for them.

It was actually funny because it was literally only 6-14 year olds running amok laughing and twirling their scarves around :laughcont:

Absolutely no bad intent , just innocent young lads having the time of their lives in undiluted joy

I don’t believe that many young lads growing up following football get that level of excitement now

I believe you should never waste an opportunity to go off at a tangent, during the summer, when there are no league matches. So, as Brian Moore has been mentioned, Gillingham used to have a fanzine called “Brian Moore's Head Looks Uncannily Like London Planetarium”.  Was there ever a better title. Sorry to say it but “OTIB” is true but rather dull. I rather have “Adge Cutler’s dad is a champion dung spreader”

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

‘The Big Match’ 

Good thread! 

Takes me and probably the older guys on a trip down memory lane. 

My favorite back then was the Saint and Greavies show, especially when Greavsie started on about Scottish goalkeepers..........:rofl2br:

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good thread! 

Takes me and probably the older guys on a trip down memory lane. 

My favorite back then was the Saint and Greavies show, especially when Greavsie started on about Scottish goalkeepers..........:rofl2br:

I’m transfixed RR with a big smile on my face mumbling ‘Blimey Tony Towers , Don Givens’ :laughcont:

Enjoyed it far more than any recent game I’ve watched

The commentators then we’re all unique and made it 

the best bit is , because it was pre video recorders you actually watch games  that you may have seen once before but other than the odd goal , have never seen since 

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

‘The Big Match’ 

BT sport 1

(Sky 413)

Got a few autographs on an old City v Sheff Utd  program,  Alan Woodward and Tony  Currie among them.

Christ makes you feel old!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Before my time yet always interested in football of the past- hopefully it will be repeated.

Pitch invasions on Big Match... Google 'Brentford 3-3 Watford 1979' and go tp Part 4 I think- scroll forward until reach final whistle. 

Different world tbh, looked it anyway.

It’s on BT Sport regularly on a morning Mr P

Different episodes and years

53 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

‘The Big Match’ 

BT sport 1

(Sky 413)

With you on this Bob, especially the regional commentators. In addition to the ones you mention, John Helm was a favourite of mine. Though was he later?

Being one of your 50ish plus contingent by some margin my memory is not what it was. :sad26:

5 minutes ago, eardun said:

Looked at the schedule and looks as though 2 of our 1977 matches are on on Thurs, 6am and 8am.

Thanks eardun

@1960maaan might be interested to add to his collection (If you have access to record BT mate ?)

You get to see stuff I’ve not seen ever repeated 

Looks like they are currently working through 76 so in coming weeks/ months  it might be that we are on a few times 

51 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Some of the football is exceptional and interesting to look back on when comparing to the modern day

Currently a QPR side on with Masson , Bowles , Hollins ,a flying Dave Thomas with his ankles round his ankles - the skill and technique still breathtaking at times and plenty of players around that would shine in the modern era

Thomas , with his ankles round his ankles ! 

Where should they  be ? 

:laughcont:

The Big Match was great fun - Brian Moore maintained a schoolboyish enthusiasm for football that shone through in his presenting.

He was always grinning to the point of stifling laughter even when only introducing the next game.

Not annoyingly OTT like someone like Sue Barker though, a real and genuine love of the game and his job.

I always looked forward to the Big Match as the last highlight of the weekend after City and MOTD on the Saturday before the reality of school the next morning sunk in and the 3 lots of homework I still had to do.

Remember he had some co presenters for a while, the similarly grinning baldie Terry Mancini being one of them. Possibly Alan Ball too for a Christmas Special.

As for pitch invasions, when City were featured on West Match Plus there were always City fans who 'invaded' the pitch at the end and made their way to the centre circle to display a flag/scarves as the camera panned away from the ground as the players  left the pitch.

No question of them being arrested or banned, in fact no hassle from police or stewards at all iirc.

Was watching this earlier and have done for a while. I love the football from before my time but it did get me thinking about highlights shows.

will the bbc ever release previous match of the day back catalogue to public domain?

also this brilliant big match series only ever seems to cover 2 seasons...1975-76 and 81-82...will they also release more.

10 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

This is a bit random but, anyone else remember that The Big Match used to follow a farming program on Sunday and there always this weird advert for Ivomec just before the show. From memory Ivomec would kill Ringworm, Sarcoptic Mangemites and some others nasties. 

Just looked it up and the company`s still going - they do have stuff to treat some very unpleasant sounding things though!

10 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

This is a bit random but, anyone else remember that The Big Match used to follow a farming program on Sunday and there always this weird advert for Ivomec just before the show. From memory Ivomec would kill Ringworm, Sarcoptic Mangemites and some others nasties. 

yes what the hell are sarcoptic mange mites, enough to give a child nightmares!!

Archived