IGNORED

Brian Moore , Beards & Pitch Invasions - The Big Match

BobBobSuperBob

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I know it will have little if any interest save all except a largish 50 ish plus contingent but BT Sport if you have it re run  (Mornings) episodes of the old (till 11am)

‘The Big Match’ 

Personally preferred The Big Match to Match Of Day as I liked Moore , the regional commentators Hugh Johns , Gerald Sinstadt etc , and the fact it was the only chance to see anything else than First Div Football

This mornings highlights have been a Derek Hales hat trick for Charlton , Grey haired Alan Woodward for Sheffield United and a Div Four encounter between Bury and Brighton where at each Bury goal there is a large pitch invasion by dozens of boys aged 6-14 !!!!!!! :laughcont:

Fantastic watch with a morning coffee for anyone who remembers those days

:ill:

BT sport 1

(Sky 413)

Brian Moore was THE master. He was THE voice; I grew up wanting it. Unfortunately i sound more like the shrill voiced J Pearce who is humungously overrated no doubt by some City fans especially.

Spoke to him once as well not that long before he passed away in a radio question and answer program.

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I know it will have little if any interest save all except a largish 50 ish plus contingent but BT Sport if you have it re run  (Mornings) episodes of the old (till 11am)

‘The Big Match’ 

Personally preferred The Big Match to Match Of Day as I liked Moore , the regional commentators Hugh Johns , Gerald Sinstadt etc , and the fact it was the only chance to see anything else than First Div Football

This mornings highlights have been a Derek Hales hat trick for Charlton , Grey haired Alan Woodward for Sheffield United and a Div Four encounter between Bury and Brighton where at each Bury goal there is a large pitch invasion by dozens of boys aged 6-14 !!!!!!! :laughcont:

Fantastic watch with a morning coffee for anyone who remembers those days

:ill:

BT sport 1

(Sky 413)

I loved listening to some of those old school commentators on The Big Match too....incidentally, wasn’t Spurs 9 Gas 0 on Match of the Day? They didn’t just show top flight games....could be wrong though

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I loved listening to some of those old school commentators on The Big Match too....incidentally, wasn’t Spurs 9 Gas 0 on Match of the Day? They didn’t just show top flight games....could be wrong though

Yes BS4 was on MoD

I was wrong about only chance to see , Big Match tended to have more would have been more accurate 

9 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+big+match

A selection from YouTube. 

Number 3 is the one I remember most…

The one that starts at 8.00 minutes was the one that was used when the Big Match first moved to the Saturday night slot that the BBC Match of the Day lost,  which ruffled a few  feathers at the Beeb.  This happened around 1980 IIRC.

21 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

The one that starts at 8.00 minutes was the one that was used when the Big Match first moved to the Saturday night slot that the BBC Match of the Day lost,  which ruffled a few  feathers at the Beeb.  This happened around 1980 IIRC.

22 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

around that time it always seemed to be palace on the big match....

36 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You were totally right about the regional commentators on The Big Match though....loved listening to Brackley, Sinstadt, Johns etc! 

Can anyone remember  the Franki Worthinton  goal that was used for a couple of years in the opening credits ?

Absolute classic goal. He's outside the box with his back to goal, lob volley over the center half then smashes the volley home.

I’ve just started watching these matches that I recorded. Fantastic programmes that show what it was like 40 years ago. Terrible pitches and poor grounds, but fun all the same. The part I really like is seeing players I’ve totally forgotten about. Thanks to the wonders of Wilki I can do a “where are the now” search.  

Archived