IGNORED

Bristol City Top flight side

Red Army 75

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

There's another thread which shows the difficulty of comparing players from different eras. 

All I can say, having seen all of them play is that  would have Collier and Merrick over Flint and Baker in a heartbeat. 

All day long Downend, all day long! 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I could have sworn it was afterwards! A lot`s happened since then mind!

hoc is correct RRH. If you watch the match video of the Arsenal game, Brian Moore does say that they had tried to buy GM and TR but City turned them down.

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The majority of that side were good (don't get me wrong) but were a lot better as a collective. Trevor Tainton and Jimmy Mann were consistently good and often overlooked. Sweeney and Gillies were hard as nails and with Norman Hunter alongside them, we were never found wanting in the 'war' stakes. 

The outstanding individuals to me, were:

Gerry Gow (obviously, what a player) who would be suspended all the time in the modern game. He wasn't just tough, he was granite tough but boy could he play!

Gary Collier was, as I've described him before, a rolls royce of a defender, never flustered and one of those class players who always seemed to have more time than he actually did. He could handle a row just like they all could but he just oozed class.

Sir Geoff Merrick, the leader, captain and another classy footballer. As a centre half he was quite small but he was never found wanting. I often think his move to left back to accommodate Norman was a bad move but there's been an awful lot of water under the bridge since then.

Clive Whitehead. The baby of the bunch but he could really shift and his crossing stats would be obscene in the modern day, a sublime crosser of a ball. 

Tom Ritchie. He didn't really look particularly strong but by god he was! All movement and must have been such a pain in the arse to play against. Very good feet for one so tall and a great foil for the Cheese.

Paul Cheesley. What a beast he was in the air, totally unplayable. When you think, the 'big' England forwards at the time were Paul Mariner and latterly Bob Latchford, the Cheese was head and shoulders (literally) above them. I doubt David O'Leary and Willy Young ever had such a battering as big Paul gave them in our first game up and, as mentioned, he was giving Shilton and the Stoke defence all kinds of problems before he was injured.

I've missed a few out, Cashley, Shaw, Brian Drysdale, David Rogers, even Keith Fear. All good players but as a collective, they were very, very good and would go to war for each other.

It's just a pity that the first City side some of us saw, will probably be the best City side we'll ever see but it wasn't half a pleasure to watch them!

The team of the late 70s would never have conceded a 3 goal lead.

Cheelsey "lead" the line up front, Gow was the midfield engine that made the team tick  and Merrick at the back was skipper. How we could do with such leaders throughout the team these days.

21 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The majority of that side were good (don't get me wrong) but were a lot better as a collective. Trevor Tainton and Jimmy Mann were consistently good and often overlooked. Sweeney and Gillies were hard as nails and with Norman Hunter alongside them, we were never found wanting in the 'war' stakes. 

The outstanding individuals to me, were:

Gerry Gow (obviously, what a player) who would be suspended all the time in the modern game. He wasn't just tough, he was granite tough but boy could he play!

Gary Collier was, as I've described him before, a rolls royce of a defender, never flustered and one of those class players who always seemed to have more time than he actually did. He could handle a row just like they all could but he just oozed class.

Sir Geoff Merrick, the leader, captain and another classy footballer. As a centre half he was quite small but he was never found wanting. I often think his move to left back to accommodate Norman was a bad move but there's been an awful lot of water under the bridge since then.

Clive Whitehead. The baby of the bunch but he could really shift and his crossing stats would be obscene in the modern day, a sublime crosser of a ball. 

Tom Ritchie. He didn't really look particularly strong but by god he was! All movement and must have been such a pain in the arse to play against. Very good feet for one so tall and a great foil for the Cheese.

Paul Cheesley. What a beast he was in the air, totally unplayable. When you think, the 'big' England forwards at the time were Paul Mariner and latterly Bob Latchford, the Cheese was head and shoulders (literally) above them. I doubt David O'Leary and Willy Young ever had such a battering as big Paul gave them in our first game up and, as mentioned, he was giving Shilton and the Stoke defence all kinds of problems before he was injured.

I've missed a few out, Cashley, Shaw, Brian Drysdale, David Rogers, even Keith Fear. All good players but as a collective, they were very, very good and would go to war for each other.

It's just a pity that the first City side some of us saw, will probably be the best City side we'll ever see but it wasn't half a pleasure to watch them!

I saw Drysdale’s son Jason today....looks just like his dad.  Was Keegan’s first signing at Newcastle IIRC.

49 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

All day long Downend, all day long! 

The Collier that played  in the top flight would get close to this year's world cup squad.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The Collier that played  in the top flight would get close to this year's world cup squad.

He probably would Downend, the Cheese as well I should think. Whether we could have kept them we'll never know but those 2 would have been just as good in the modern day.

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I was there too in the Open End where Cheesley sustained his career ending injury in, I think, the 13th minute. In that time he terrorized the Stoke defence with his aerial presence.

I can't think of many players who had their greatest moment in football one match and then minutes into their next match sustained a career ending injury. That is what makes it so sad seeing Cheesley being interviewed on the Big Match knowing what was in store for him literally just a few footballing minutes away. I remember at the time seeing the interview and feeling as proud as punch. Then years later seeing it on DVD and reflecting upon it with sadness.

Yes what might have been. Still one of my most vivid memories at Ashton Gate - I can picture it now; Cheesley going up with Shilton and getting injured. I was in the Dolman aged 9.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Can you imagine Sir Gerry going in for a 50/50 with Jack Grealish?:yawn:

Grealish would have bottled it and ran the other way I expect! Most modern day players would to be fair. 

Imagine Keane and Sir Gerry!!! :redcard:

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Grealish would have bottled it and ran the other way I expect! Most modern day players would to be fair. 

He`d do a Forrest Gump right out of the stadium I should think!

Are there any players today that you reckon could go toe-to-toe with the great man without coming off worst? I can`t think of any.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Arsenal wanted to buy Tom Ritchie & Geoff Merrick afterwards for what was big money at the time but (I think) we turned them down.

It was £500k for the pair IIRC.

It was £250k for the pair, during our promotion season.

A lot of money then, either player leaving would have been our record transfer fee.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

He`d do a Forrest Gump right out of the stadium I should think!

Are there any players today that you reckon could go toe-to-toe with the great man without coming off worst? I can`t think of any.

Imagine getting past Gerry in one piece (not many did)  only to see Norman Hunter charging at you! :10_1_108:

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

That would be a sight to see! Pity it would only last ten minutes before they both got sent off.

I don't think there would be any doubt TBH. Either leaving via a red card or on a stretcher. 2 properly tough players.

32 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I can remember thinking once or twice that Gerry would slightly look to Mis control an early pass just so he could frighten some poor little muppet in a 50/50. 

Gerry was the class act of a very good team. As the bloke said above they would never have thrown away a 3 goal lead. 

Someone mentioned Jason Drysdale above. I had dinner with my Mrs, Brian Drysdale and Jonathon Pierce as well once. TOP BLOKE. Got nearly all of that team to sign a shirt for me. It’s hanging on the wall at home!!

Gary Collier was a class act, and still very young when he impressed everyone. Who knows what he could achieved if it wasn't for injury...much like Paul Cheesley. A tier below that came Clive Whitehead ,Tom Richie and Geoff Merrick. All of those would survive in todays Premiership. Taints was hugely underrated...he may well have played in todays Premiership. A  complete 90 minute player!! I'm surprised no one has mentioned John Shaw.. he may have done too. 

34 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You mean a 90/10 don't you?  :)

35 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Imagine Keane and Sir Gerry!!! :redcard:

I've said before that Gerry would get sent off in the warm up these days.

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Sir Gerry may well have done OK in the days of Vinnie and Roy Keane...but definitely not in 2018 where the main plan seems to hurl yourself to the deck clutching your head (much like the Madrid Hatchet Man on Saturday evening)

I think the difference back then is that by and large the hard men could dish it out but also took it.

Players like Ramos are snide and cheats. They are more than happy to dish tout but like babies when it comes there way. Also they tend to know exactly how to kid referees. There was absolutely no kidding back in the day - if you got hit by Gow you knew it , the crowd knew it and the referees knew it

Amidst all the talk about how hard Gerry Gow was I wouldn't want those who never saw him to think that was all there was to him.

He grew into a very fine midfield player, what in the even older days would have been called a half back.

He moved to Man City of course and I have an old friend who is a Man City fan who reveres Gerry to this day as one of his favourite ever players.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think the difference back then is that by and large the hard men could dish it out but also took it.

Players like Ramos are snide and cheats. They are more than happy to dish tout but like babies when it comes there way. Also they tend to know exactly how to kid referees. There was absolutely no kidding back in the day - if you got hit by Gow you knew it , the crowd knew it and the referees knew it

doesnt even have to come back their way....he went like a ******* jack in the box on Saturday without a player within 3 feet of him. It's well gone time that sort of thing could be reviewed and a player given a million year ban

6 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

doesnt even have to come back their way....he went like a ******* jack in the box on Saturday without a player within 3 feet of him. It's well gone time that sort of thing could be reviewed and a player given a million year ban

Imagine how long a ban our players would get from the EFL on reviews :shocking:

Does anyone remember the flying Dutchmen we signed and scored in his debut within 10 seconds of kick off. He received the ball from the kick off ran down the wing and put it in the net from the side... unbelievable start.my most memorable goal ever.

Don't remember him doing much after that..:laugh:

49 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Gary Collier was a class act, and still very young when he impressed everyone. Who knows what he could achieved if it wasn't for injury...much like Paul Cheesley. A tier below that came Clive Whitehead ,Tom Richie and Geoff Merrick. All of those would survive in todays Premiership. Taints was hugely underrated...he may well have played in todays Premiership. A  complete 90 minute player!! I'm surprised no one has mentioned John Shaw.. he may have done too. 

I was at a game once and some bloke shouted niggers go home and a bloke shouted back does that mean Jon Shaw has to go back to Mars!!

39 minutes ago, Limey said:

Does anyone remember the flying Dutchmen we signed and scored in his debut within 10 seconds of kick off. He received the ball from the kick off ran down the wing and put it in the net from the side... unbelievable start.my most memorable goal ever.

Don't remember him doing much after that..:laugh:

Geert Meijer 

Archived