IGNORED

Best Assists/Minutes Ratio and Pass Completion

BRISTOL86

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Just for a bit of fun....and without looking!

Of players who have played more than once this season, who would you say has both the highest % of successful passes and the best assists to minutes ratio in the entire squad?

It may surprise you! 

It's easier to get a disproportionately high ratio if you have not played much so I reckon somewhere who has played less than 10 games.

I want to go for Kelly but I think I'm probably wrong. Failing that it might be a striker. Taylor, maybe?

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bound to be someone weird.. Luke Steele? Ryan Kent?

Is the correct answer :o

And yes I agree with the above, a small number of appearances makes reading anything into it very difficult. 

But I found it interesting. 

For a player who was lambasted for being wasteful in possession, his pass completion is considerably higher than anyone else in the squad.

And to be fair he played 6 hours of football here so I expect that’s fairly representative of what it’d be over a whole season. 

As I said just found it interesting/surprising. 

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

And yes I agree with the above, a small number of appearances makes reading anything into it very difficult. 

For a player who was lambasted for being wasteful in possession, his pass completion is considerably higher than anyone else in the squad.

And to be fair he played 6 hours of football here so I expect that’s fairly representative of what it’d be over a whole season. 

Liés, damned lies and statistics -

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Is your figure x possession? 

A passing accuracy is not necessarily a reflection of being effective or wasteful. Its  a measurement of passing. His passing % is slightly higher than Packs and Reids. Pack passes the ball further.

The interesting thing about Kent is Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan create more chances than Kent, but  there appears to be a real anomaly in Ryan Kents assists v chances created. Chances created is normally far higher for Wingers(?) to assists.

That is a bit weird and highly unlikely to continue. 

Kents passing accuracy is higher than Gareth Bales and Ronaldos. So is his assist v chances created ratio!!. 

10 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Is your figure x possession? 

A passing accuracy is not necessarily a reflection of being effective or wasteful. Its  a measurement of passing. His passing % is slightly higher than Packs and Reids. Pack passes the ball further.

The interesting thing about Kent is Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan create more chances than Kent, but  there appears to be a real anomaly in Ryan Kents assists v chances created. Chances created is normally far higher for Wingers(?) to assists.

That is a bit weird and highly unlikely to continue. 

Kents passing accuracy is higher than Gareth Bales and Ronaldos. So is his assist v chances created ratio!!. 

I wasn’t suggesting there was much to read into it over such a small number of games, I just found it highly surprising that he was statistically our most successful passer by some way (Pack not too far behind but Kent way out above the squad average).  

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I wasn’t suggesting there was much to read into it over such a small number of games, I just found it highly surprising that he was statistically our most successful passer by some way (Pack not too far behind but Kent way out above the squad average).  

I think its interesting to unpick it. 

If Kent is passing it less his passing can be skewed. If he is not crossing it much that figure is again skewed.

Joe Bryan is a better passer of the a ball than Aden Flint?  But due to crossing his % success is lower. Norms say it should be.

Kents passing length is shorter than Bryans. Too short. Too few crosses.

Marlon Packs passing is only slightly lower in accuracy v Kent but his passes are longer. There is the  -%.

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I think its interesting to unpick it. 

If Kent is passing it less his passing can be skewed. If he is not crossing it much that figure is again skewed.

Joe Bryan is a better passer of the a ball than Aden Flint?  But due to crossing his % success is lower. Norms say it should be.

Kents passing length is shorter than Bryans. Too short. Too few crosses.

Marlon Packs passing is only slightly lower in accuracy v Kent but his passes are longer. There is the  -%.

Maybe it's just me - but your posts always read like a Haiku.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

A largely irrelevant statistic though, mainly Kent lost balls through being tackled and his passes were about 5 yard easy passes to someone else while he ran on into space. Wasn't Cauley Woodrow right up there in terms of goals per minute played as well?

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's only 4% higher than Korey (and Eliasson), 5% higher than Marlon (and Woodrow), and 6% higher than Reid (and Walsh, and Leko). Those ones not in brackets obviously have all played considerably more football to achieve that record last season, so personally I wouldn't say that Kent's record was considerably higher in the circumstances.

As others have pointed out, it's skewed in Kent's case because he simply didn't attempt many passes (that was part of the problem) - Kent's lack of end product won't show up in these statistics at all as they're recorded as attempted dribbles (or attempted shots). For attempted dribbles, there is a record of how frequently the player lost possession, and Kent lost possession more frequently than anyone bar Woodrow or Leko (every 30.4 minutes)!

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Is that because he only passed the ball to a team mate once which gives him a 100% rate

30 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Is that because he only passed the ball to a team mate once which gives him a 100% rate

Ha, actually a good point. He passed less often so you could argue that if he’d passed more his stats would suffer. You could also argue that accuracy is relative and that he could have passed 5x as much and maintained his accuracy. 

Unless you bring in the perceived difficulty of pass and weight the stats accordingly then it’s hard to read much into it. 

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Ha, actually a good point. He passed less often so you could argue that if he’d passed more his stats would suffer. You could also argue that accuracy is relative and that he could have passed 5x as much and maintained his accuracy. 

Unless you bring in the perceived difficulty of pass and weight the stats accordingly then it’s hard to read much into it. 

If you are really interested in looking at further details have a browse of squawka (it is free). 

Marlon Packs passes are longer than Kents and he is going forwards with passes around 40% more. Ryan Kents passes are shorter than the team average, and he is a far less likely to play forward passes v numerous team mates. He is generally passing the ball very simply, short and often backwards (50% + of his passes).

Archived