IGNORED

Bowls at Ashton Gate

Davefevs

No, but I used to play in the Dolman Hall. Two rinks of three with pillars between the two playing areas. I remember it being a pretty stale place.

The newish indoor rink off South Liberty Lane is far superior in every way. Nine rinks, decent bar and good food. Can't go wrong!

Saw the subject line and thought this would be about the new finger food offering from the Sports Bar. All food in bowls so can be eaten whilst stood up, so no need to provide more seating.

Chicken straws in a bowl.

Cheese straws in a bowl.

Chips in a bowl.

Fruit in a bowl (for the sweet toothed City fan).

How disappointed I am. Thanks @Davefevs:disapointed2se:

29 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

My Mum used to refer to it as 'Old Man's Marbles' :)

I love it when people disparage professional sports like that, every time the baseball comes on when we are in the States my wife, just says "they are getting paid to play rounders??"  :) 

My late uncle might well be one of those pictured. He played for Greville Smyth in the local leagues for decades and they used the indoor rinks at AG during the winter.  Harry Dolman was a great supporter of local bowls and was key in having the club housed in the new stand he'd built. 

4 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I thought it was about when Stan Bowls played at the Gate after being rather disparaging about us.

He had much to be disparaging about. His leg went off like a shotgun just in front of me and the 'treatment' fans gave him whilst he was unceremoniously dumped waiting for transport to the hospital was shocking. 

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

He had much to be disparaging about. His leg went off like a shotgun just in front of me and the 'treatment' fans gave him whilst he was unceremoniously dumped waiting for transport to the hospital was shocking. 

My memory of it was that he got that 'treatment' because of the disparaging he'd done before the game. Hence the 'treatment'.

38 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

My memory of it was that he got that 'treatment' because of the disparaging he'd done before the game. Hence the 'treatment'.

Much was said afterwards but have never read or heard anything to suggest Bowles, possibly the quietest and most reserved player off the pitch, ever said anything disparaging beforehand. Certainly doesn't make mention in 'Stan The Man', his first biography.

The incident occurred just before the final whistle and was an innocuous challenge with Gary Collier. He planted his leg and you could hear it explode. Problem was in severe agony and strapped to the gurney he was left in the car park for all City fans to walk past and several abused him.

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Much was said afterwards but have never read or heard anything to suggest Bowles, possibly the quietest and most reserved player off the pitch, ever said anything disparaging beforehand. Certainly doesn't make mention in 'Stan The Man', his first biography.

The incident occurred just before the final whistle and was an innocuous challenge with Gary Collier. He planted his leg and you could hear it explode. Problem was in severe agony and strapped to the gurney he was left in the car park for all City fans to walk past and several abused him.

He was seen by many as a Rodney Marsh Mk2, not just for his skill but also for his liking for a bet, but he was certainly less vocal. One of the most skilful players of his day, I seem to recall he had a good game until the unfortunate incident. The way his leg exploded made some be concerned it could be a career ending. He didn’t deserve the abuse he received which was bang out of order. 

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

He was seen by many as a Rodney Marsh Mk2, not just for his skill but also for his liking for a bet, but he was certainly less vocal. One of the most skilful players of his day, I seem to recall he had a good game until the unfortunate incident. The way his leg exploded made some be concerned it could be a career ending. He didn’t deserve the abuse he received which was bang out of order. 

Bowles verged on the pathologically shy and though he'd be found in the boozers and betting shops around Shepherds Bush it was rarely with anyone other than locals.

The only animosity I know of is told in his book - Sunderland hated him. 

"I can remember it like it was yesterday. It was May 1973. QPR's game at Sunderland had been delayed, because of the cup final, which Sunderland had won that year with a flukey win against Leeds, the best team in the country. We had to play them the Monday afterwards. They paraded the Cup around their ground and then they left it on a table on the halfway line. A guy called Tony Hazel and I had a little bet who could hit it with the ball. It was just a spontaneous thing. I did it during the warm-up and it didn't go down very well. I ran straight across the park and then, bang! the FA Cup goes shooting up in the air. I believe it got dented."

9 hours ago, myol'man said:

Didn't he get carried off on a stretcher?

Remember it really well. The EE were singing Stanley where’s ya wife gone. She buggered  off that week. He looked at us and just shrugged. Hilarious  Then he broke his leg. Clapped off. Looked bad!

Archived