IGNORED

Bowls at Ashton Gate

Davefevs

12 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Had the joy of having my season ticket seat right behind Mr Brimble for 18 years!!!

I was also sat close to him in Dolman when it opened and until 1980 when I went back to standing in a very quiet corner of the Covered End. 

You're correct Maltshoveller. What a pain! 

On 30/05/2018 at 11:33, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Indoor bowls however is boring. Much better when played outside. 

That's a common debate amongst us bowlers!  

Many bowlers I know feel that the 7/12 of indoor leads to players getting stale, usually around Feb/March each year and start looking forward to outdoor. Not many look forward to the long indoor season.

Same game of course but outdoor is more challenging with the different weather conditions altering the green during a match. Generally the wetter it is the less the bowl will swing but as the surface dries the lines change as will the pace so it's crucial to be able to adapt. Evening outdoor matches on a lovely summer evening is a simply wonderful experience before retiring to the clubhouse for supper and a beer.

Indoor the carpets don't change and once you've found the pace and line that's  it!. If I lived in a country where the climate allowed all year round outdoor bowling that's what I'd do.

On 29/05/2018 at 23:27, Robbored said:

No, but I used to play in the Dolman Hall. Two rinks of three with pillars between the two playing areas. I remember it being a pretty stale place.

The newish indoor rink off South Liberty Lane is far superior in every way. Nine rinks, decent bar and good food. Can't go wrong!

I’ve quite fancied taking it up myself for a while.  

Went to a place called Potters(?) near Norwich for a long weekend a few years back where I believe they hold Euro championships and there were loads of indoor and outdoor greens to have a go on, which I did.

Whilst I wasn’t particularly good I did enjoy it massively. 

Is it just a game for when I retire in around 25 years or do you get many young bucks kicking it up amongst the old duffers?

48 minutes ago, 54-46 said:

I’ve quite fancied taking it up myself for a while.  

Went to a place called Potters(?) near Norwich for a long weekend a few years back where I believe they hold Euro championships and there were loads of indoor and outdoor greens to have a go on, which I did.

Whilst I wasn’t particularly good I did enjoy it massively. 

Is it just a game for when I retire in around 25 years or do you get many young bucks kicking it up amongst the old duffers?

I took up bowls after I stopped playing football - got too slow to cope with 17years old wingers................:facepalm:  been bowling ever since.

Marked a national singles match  last night between two guys, one 29 and the other 30. The  29 yr old took up bowls aged 7! His dad is a bowler and that's how he started so young,

In our area there are lots of younger guys. The youngest at our club is just 18 so it's not entirely accurate that it's a game for the elderly.

I really enjoy the game. Bowls and football are my hobbies and with bowlers it's like being a member of a fraternity. It's rare if I'm around Nailsea that i don't bump into someone who I know and played against many times. It's the same if I'm in Possett.

Within a 10 mile  radius of Nailsea there are 9 bowls clubs who all play each other. There are four clubs in Weston-s-mare who we also play. 

Witnout checking I don't know how many bowls clubs there are in Bristol but at a guess I'd say around 10 -12. Right behind the Dolman Stand is Bristol BC. There used be another club in Grenville Smyth Park but folded a few years ago.

Its a very popular sport  as the number of local clubs tells you.

On 30/05/2018 at 10:57, Super said:

9780002185233-uk.jpg

I had a rather embarresing situation with Tony Alcock one night. I was in a very nice pub near to where we live a bit worse for wear for cider when I went for a pee. A bloke come and stood next to me and I looked at him and said hey your Tony Alcock while I was pissing on his Hush Puppies!

He wasn' pleased

Archived