IGNORED

Multi-Story Car Park at Ashton Gate

myol'man

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Odds on complaints of congestion/increased traffic of people trying to park there, spoilt views etc. Let's not forget dog walking routes. 

+ squatters rights in the old Dreams bed shop 

Makes sense.

No prospect of Portishead rail line now (good old Liam Fox & North Somerset council, eh?).

Metrobus not ready yet so need to do something & as usual City have had to do it themselves..

Bloody expensive way of delivering car parking at cost per space.

if they’re looking to go upwards would have thought best way would be a single deck on LA P&R with some thought given to additional access /egress points. Levels work and could be a shared cost with Council/operator option...that said the Council’s are friggin useless at decision making/project delivery up your way so maybe best to go alone with something else.

18 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Bloody expensive way of delivering car parking at cost per space.

if they’re looking to go upwards would have thought best way would be a single deck on LA P&R with some thought given to additional access /egress points. Levels work and could be a shared cost with Council/operator option...that said the Council’s are friggin useless at decision making/project delivery up your way so maybe best to go alone with something else.

LA P&R is a no go for well documented reasons thanks to the council, the multi story option is pretty much our only option, it will also bring a bit more revenue in with park permits being sold etc

This is a piece of a bigger puzzle, and I believe that the council have been dragging their heels about allowing the multi-storey as part of the bigger development plan, hence the club now mentioning it to residents to try and get them onside methinks. 

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The problem with building a multi-storey car park there is that a car park of this type has to be filled 7 days a week to make any money.

If it is only used on matchdays, I can't see it being viable.

Maybe if it was built on top of or below another facility, it could work.

Not if there were other things in the surrounding areas. . . 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Odds on complaints of congestion/increased traffic of people trying to park there, spoilt views etc. Let's not forget dog walking routes. 

North Street hipsters might complain about how this will endanger the lives of rare ants and woodlice and prevent organic tofu markets taking place every weekend.  

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

So multi storey car park and an apparent arena for basketball on the wickes site . Doesn’t seem big enough. Or have I got that wrong about the arena 

Depends, if it's literally just an arena/concourse area multi story could be built around edge/on top of it, or if even more spent then could be underground car park.

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

So multi storey car park and an apparent arena for basketball on the wickes site . Doesn’t seem big enough. Or have I got that wrong about the arena 

You'll be surprised what could actually fit on that footprint 

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Depends, if it's literally just an arena/concourse area multi story could be built around edge/on top of it, or if even more spent then could be underground car park.

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

You'll be surprised what could actually fit on that footprint 

Cheers. Interesting 

16 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Brilliant news for all Ashton based dog walkers. 

Keep in the dry- can walk both up and down the levels and in a few years -hey presto: it's another village green.

My dog was expressing his outrage at the prospect of having to view a multi-storey car park whilst taking his customary morning dump on the village green. I read him your post and he thought for a moment before saying "actually.........".

56 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The problem with building a multi-storey car park there is that a car park of this type has to be filled 7 days a week to make any money.

A brave move would be top operate their own park and ride in the week

Not sure whether the demand would be there though

I take it , it wouldn’t be NCP size and would service (basketball / music) arena and the other things planned 

12 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Hotel, shops, pub, small basketball arena.  Would all bring people to the area who need to park somewhere, and not outside the neighbours houses.

I have often wondered whether they have considered buying and taking over the shopping complex next door (KFC bit),  a larger club shop could go there and incorporating the parking as well as additional food outlets would make enormous sense to me.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Makes sense.

No prospect of Portishead rail line now (good old Liam Fox & North Somerset council, eh?).

Metrobus not ready yet so need to do something & as usual City have had to do it themselves..

Sorry but the club has a responsibility to provide car parking.  Same as any venue does (eg the Mall or Cabot's circus).   I imagine it will be bolted onto the indoor arena and hotel. Residents will support it if whoever is responsible actually enforces the parking regulations in the residential area.  Some of the parking was unbelievable yet nothing was done about it.

Was thinking, why don't City arrange some kind of discount with Metrobus.  Pay a supplement on top of your season card and get free travel to and from the gate on matchdays?  Make it a no brainer for anyone coming into town on their way to the game to get Metrobus.  Tag it onto Railtravel for virtually nothing.

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Sorry but the club has a responsibility to provide car parking.  Same as any venue does (eg the Mall or Cabot's circus).   I imagine it will be bolted onto the indoor arena and hotel. Residents will support it if whoever is responsible actually enforces the parking regulations in the residential area.  Some of the parking was unbelievable yet nothing was done about it.

Was thinking, why don't City arrange some kind of discount with Metrobus.  Pay a supplement on top of your season card and get free travel to and from the gate on matchdays?  Make it a no brainer for anyone coming into town on their way to the game to get Metrobus.  Tag it onto Railtravel for virtually nothing.

It has a responsibility to provide some parking but it also probably hoped that at some point a local authority or two (North Somerset being barely a mile away) might help out.

Metrobus is looking increasingly less likely to be much of the answer, some of the South Bristol routes look like being mothballed before it even starts.

As with Ashton Vale the club is being left again having to provide more of the solution than elsewhere..

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Doesn't Lansdown have plans to build a Mega Hotel at Ashton gate, with a Retail Park and Entertainment centre. Those places need ample parking you know .....

18 minutes ago, The Bard said:

When there was talk about building the arena at Temple Meads, there was concern that there wasn't any on site parking, and the Councils response was something along the lines of "there's an agreement in place that to try and reduce the reliance on the car in the City, they'd never go above amount of parking spaces in the City." - this meant that if they did wish to cater for say 2000 car spaces at the arena, they'd have to take 2000 spaces away from somewhere else in the city !!

Does this same situation apply to Bristol City FC as a private enterprise, or was this purely a council arrangement?

A second worry of mine, is that they may build a new car park at Ashton Gate, and it will have a finite number of spaces, but there will still be an excess of cars turning up on matchdays, but the council would probably use the new car as justification for putting RPZ's all around without providing any alternatives.

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I was under the impression SL bought some of the land currently occupied by Babcock. Not sure if there's any truth in that, nor can i remember where i read it.

Would be an ideal place for a carpark though.

Archived