IGNORED

New Shirt Sponsor to be announced

Red Army 75

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Can't be exact on that one TM, it wasn't very long ago though.

I'm surprised to hear that and don't recall him saying it.

I'd sort of assumed the name Ashton Gate will be dropped for a sponsor within a couple of years. He had no qualms about changing the name of the rugby team so a stadium 'rebrand' should be fairly straightforward. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd sort of assumed the name Ashton Gate will be dropped for a sponsor within a couple of years. He had no qualms about changing the name of the rugby team so a stadium 'rebrand' should be fairly straightforward. 

I don’t ever recall him saying that either. Not to say he didn’t but I don’t remember it. 

5 hours ago, willadams said:

Might be a shame there’s no more local sponsor etc, but maybe they’d step aside because there’s two new training grounds, allegedly an arena, and according to the post yesterday now a multi story car park, all in the works. And they are a local building company described as the club’s principal construction partner in that statement. I’m sure they’ve extracted as much value as possible out of stepping aside, but if they end up with all those building projects as well as the unexpected cup run/gif value out of the shirt sponsorship last season, I don’t think we need to feel too sorry for Lancer Scott!

12 hours ago, tommy_b said:

Does your moral high ground over contract duration apply to any players who you might not rate and want the club to ship out?

Because it’s exactly the same...

That would all be well and good if it didn't sound very much like they had been forced out with as little goodwill from the club as legally possible. Sure others will decide the only way we can make money or "progress" is by acting like complete pricks, but ask yourself - could we retain some semblance of decency at the same time?

The same people bemoaning a betting website sponsor and saying they wished we had a local company sponsor us are the ones who attacked Johnson for not signing bigger name players in January and wanting big name free agents now. You want to compete with Villa or Boro over transfers? This is what it looks like

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you about the wider game and what it’s become. But we are where we are and clubs are largely needing to adapt or suffer. Those who cling to the ‘good old days’ are the ones left behind.

No industry is the same as it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. 

We keep talking about how all these other clubs are getting their day in the sun and we’re not - spurning high profile commercial opportunities certainly isn’t going to get us any closer. 

I'm not advocating spurning the opportunity and I appreciate the need to adapt to the times in order to compete.  I understand the business case in favour.  I just think it's a shame we need to deal with these businesses.

I also understand the alcohol comparison and agree with it to a point.  I just think there's something particularly distasteful about the growing influx of foreign betting companies set up purely to capitalise on the popularity of gambling in order to create massive profits, often at the expense of those who can least afford it.  I would like to think when Mr Heineken set up his brewery in 1864 and created a popular drink, his intentions were at least a little more honest and less cynical.  Maybe that's rather naïve, but I think you can see what I'm getting at.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Can't be exact on that one TM, it wasn't very long ago though.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don’t ever recall him saying that either. Not to say he didn’t but I don’t remember it. 

IIRC I think it was actually the opposite.......that at some point it is likely that the stadium would have naming rights

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

It's not SL but Bristol Sport's Martin Griffiths is recorded as saying: "It will always be called Ashton Gate" in SC&T minutes...

I'm fairly sure I remember SL saying it himself, perhaps on RB, but as Martin Griffiths said it it probably comes down to the same thing anyway.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

The same people bemoaning a betting website sponsor and saying they wished we had a local company sponsor us are the ones who attacked Johnson for not signing bigger name players in January and wanting big name free agents now. You want to compete with Villa or Boro over transfers? This is what it looks like

I find this quite a lazy argument.

Have you noted a number of posters attacking both?

Can you list a few? :dunno:

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you about the wider game and what it’s become. But we are where we are and clubs are largely needing to adapt or suffer. Those who cling to the ‘good old days’ are the ones left behind.

No industry is the same as it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. 

We keep talking about how all these other clubs are getting their day in the sun and we’re not - spurning high profile commercial opportunities certainly isn’t going to get us any closer. 

Yep, you only have to look at Burnley and see how bad they're doing to realise that keeping with tradition leaves you miles behind. Ah wait..

2 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

You mean, a club with a betting company as their logo.

My mistake, was reading the thread upwards and had initially read BRISTOL86's posts that he wouldn't mind the stadium being renamed, so that's what my post was referring to, not the idea of a betting sponsor on the shirt which I have no issues with.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

even if the ground does get sponsorship it will still be ashton gate, it's nether really bothered me to be fair

If someone gets naming rights then obviously it will no longer be known as Ashton Gate. The media would take on the new name, as will fans of other clubs and new City fans, and it would only be an ever diminishing band of diehards who continued to refer to it as Ashton Gate. If we ever sell naming rights the name Ashton Gate will be consigned to history, simple as that.

6 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

They can call AG what they want, most people will still refer to it the same

Look at St James' park: they renamed that the "Sports Direct 50% off arena" or something and no-one cared

What nonsense.  

It was only temporary until the end of that season and they kept the St.James Park name, i.e. it was known as the 'SportsDirect. com.@ St. James Park Stadium'. Newcastle fans were in uproar and made their feelings known by protests and demonstrations in an attempt to preserve the previous stadium name. Such was the outcry there was even an early day motion tabled in Parliament to prevent the name change becoming permanent.

When Wonga purchased the naming rights they announced the St. James Park name would be restored as part of the deal.

Never mind the new shirt, what about the training kit, I want to know which new font boy wonder has discovered on Microsoft Word this year.

My money is on Arial Black or Impact.

4 hours ago, lenred said:

Alcohol is far more widely used and in my experience is far more socially acceptable as a result. Booze has been around since the beginning of time and as a result society accepts it.  Alcohol is also a far more open and visible vice.  Online gambling is a new phenomenon and is far far easier to hide and therefore the results can materialise too late for people to get help.  But the effects of both are devastating if the addiction ever gets that far. But I would wager (!) that there are far far far more issues per user with gambling than there is with alcohol. And it’ll only get worse imho. 

I think the other thing is the way that the two products are marketed. Alcohol advertisers are now required to be extremely careful not to promote harmful levels of drinking and, with any alcohol advert you care to name, the subtle implication it gives are that night outs are an occasional treat and I can't think of an advert that promotes daytime drinking, for example.

What disturbs me with gambling adverts - especially around sport - is the way they give the impression gambling is an essential part of the experience, everyone else is doing and you are missing out if you're not putting a bet on every result, every goalscorer etc. I think they are banning the in-play betting adverts next season and I think that will make a huge difference. But I do think the adverts we see normalise things and, with the number of kids watching, I don't personally think betting - or indeed alcohol, chocolate or sugary drinks - should be advertised or associated with football coverage.  

Personally, if we have a gambling company on our shirt, I'll skip off buying a shirt this year and continue to wear last season's shirt. 

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

Never mind the new shirt, what about the training kit, I want to know which new font boy wonder has discovered on Microsoft Word this year.

Comic Sans or GTFO

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

Wingdings is the way forward.

5 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Comic Sans or GTFO

I still find it fun to go into Google Images and search "comic sans jokes" just so I can remind myself of the 1,000,000 memes about Comic Sans that boy wonder evidently missed out on in life.

Archived