IGNORED

Paul Hurst -Ipswich

Port Said Red

I see that Paul Hurst and his Shrewsbury assistant have taken on the Ipswich job, I understand they are supposed to play a very dour type of football so it will be interesting to see what the Ipswich fans make of them.

It seems Cole Skuse is settled there and not expecting to move, (for those who thought Lee would be bringing his mate back here)......

Skuse excited to work under new manager

Ipswich midfielder Cole Skuse believes Hurst's appointment will be a "fresh start" for the squad, who were last in the Championship play-offs in 2015.

"It's a great appointment, brilliant for the club and nice to get it done," he told BBC Radio Suffolk.

"Paul's CV kind of speaks for itself and he's very highly thought of within the football world with three or four promotions under his belt.

"I watched the play-off final at the weekend and I thought Shrewsbury were very unlucky not to get a result. Paul seems to conduct himself very well and there's exciting times ahead."

Skuse signed a new contract at Ipswich in January so it's clear he won't be moving this summer.

Bit harsh to describe Shrews football as 'very dour'. They play good, passing football. They just didn't have the quality of player in the final third to bang in as many goals as the likes of Wigan and Blackburn. 

That said, Hurst did set them up with a 'we're not going to be beaten' mentality first and foremost and I expect he'll employ similar tactics at Ipswich. He built his reputation at Shrewsbury based on getting the best out of a limited bunch of players and he'll have to repeat the trick at Portman Rd. Be interesting to see how he gets on...

31 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

I find it amazing that this is only Ipswich's 16th Managerial appointment in their history. Leeds must be on course for that in the last 10 years. 

They got into the league comparatively late (1938) which might help explain it. They had two very successful mangers in Ramsey and Robson covering 25 years between them. It's worth noting that Hurst is their 6th Manager appointed this century, which is not bad, but not as impressive as the previous century.

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Skuse signed a new contract at Ipswich in January so it's clear he won't be moving this summer.

Bit harsh to describe Shrews football as 'very dour'. They play good, passing football. They just didn't have the quality of player in the final third to bang in as many goals as the likes of Wigan and Blackburn. 

That said, Hurst did set them up with a 'we're not going to be beaten' mentality first and foremost and I expect he'll employ similar tactics at Ipswich. He built his reputation at Shrewsbury based on getting the best out of a limited bunch of players and he'll have to repeat the trick at Portman Rd. Be interesting to see how he gets on...

I think he'll do ok, decent club who will give him time - if not funds - but he's used to that. With the recent movement and appointments there are now just 4 managers in the Championship without a promotion (Clement, D.Smith, LJ and Lampard if he gets it) on their CV.  Interesting also that if Lampard gets the Derby job their local paper reporting a certain Jody Morris will be his No 2.............what could possibly go wrong there?

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

I think he'll do ok, decent club who will give him time - if not funds - but he's used to that. With the recent movement and appointments there are now just 4 managers in the Championship without a promotion (Clement, D.Smith, LJ and Lampard if he gets it) on their CV.  Interesting also that if Lampard gets the Derby job their local paper reporting a certain Jody Morris will be his No 2.............what could possibly go wrong there?

Morris has actually done a very good job with the Chelsea youth team - has won the FA youth cup both seasons he's been in charge. 

Think you may be right on Hurst. The problem at Ipswich is they've been treading water for so long under Evans. Supporters want Premier League football but dwindling crowds and lack of money mean they're more likely to finish in the bottom half of the table than the top.

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Morris as a No.2. Reckon there would be unanimous agreement about that amongst City fans. Sounds like he's done well at Chelsea, though. Maybe we should have had him coaching not, ahem, playing?

I loved it when the Shrews were 4-0 up at half time last season in their home game against the tinpot club in da quarters ...how the travelling army of a couple of dozen sags complained after that!

#MassiveAwayFollowing - it’s what they do.....

Just thought I’d mention it, cos it made me laugh for hours at the time....

Archived