IGNORED

Bad 18/19 for the Rams?

BCFCGav

They announced around Christmas that due to the high wage bill, they’ll be offloading players IF they fail to gain promotion. They have, so losses are looking inevitable. Apparently we’re looking at a certain Striker but that’s a whole other thread. 

Today they appointed Lampard, a bloody good player, but a managerial debut in a league like the championship seems a trial by fire to say the least. 

Bottom half finish next season? Worse? 

9 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

They will be at the front of the queue when it comes to the pick of Chelsea starlets on loan thats for sure!

Thought they were gonna have to cut back on expenditure?

35 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

They announced around Christmas that due to the high wage bill, they’ll be offloading players IF they fail to gain promotion. They have, so losses are looking inevitable. Apparently we’re looking at a certain Striker but that’s a whole other thread. 

Today they appointed Lampard, a bloody good player, but a managerial debut in a league like the championship seems a trial by fire to say the least. 

Bottom half finish next season? Worse? 

Interesting to see that Jody Morris has gone with him, I really thought he would take an experienced assistant. 

Like others have said Derby have really pushed the boat out over recent years and I think Rowett knew this season would be tough, hence why stoke became a popular choice 

1 hour ago, daored said:

Interesting to see that Jody Morris has gone with him, I really thought he would take an experienced assistant. 

Like others have said Derby have really pushed the boat out over recent years and I think Rowett knew this season would be tough, hence why stoke became a popular choice 

The media have been  giving Jodie Morris a lot of credit for each success with Chelsea under18s. See it as an astute move for Frank to take Jodie with him  Can see a few of these young players  being loaned to Derby for some championship experience. If Fulham can play a 17yr old why can't Derby?

2 hours ago, daored said:

I would think that there may be unofficial roles for Frank Snr and Uncle 'arry.

12 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I would think that there may be unofficial roles for Frank Snr and Uncle 'arry.

"Arry unofficially in charge of the cash.

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

They’ve bankrolled over sensibility for a few seasons hoping it’ll pay off and it hasn’t. It may be tough times ahead, pending their FFP status.

Listening to some on here, if we went chucking loads of money around we would have guaranteed promotion, shows that there are no guarantees in football whatever you spend, especially in the Championship

8 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Listening to some on here, if we went chucking loads of money around we would have guaranteed promotion, shows that there are no guarantees in football whatever you spend, especially in the Championship

No guarantees of course not, but had we pushed the boat out a bit in Jan, I think we would have made the playoffs.

Overarching point though I agree- Derby found this out, Sheffield Wednesday likewise- Villa, Boro potentially (depends on next season). Birmingham nearly dropped this year.

The big exception is Wolves. I would say though, and yeah they spent more than most- the way Wolves spent, their strategy to go with the money? Cleverer than Derby, Villa and Sheff Wed by far IMO...(Putting aside the ethics of the Wolves strategy, Mendes etc).

8 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Tammy on loan to Derby then next year

Derby have NO money, their chairman has said they have to cut down the wage bill massively and get rid of a number of players. I can't see him sanctioning a player on big money when he has just said that.

5 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I'm sure Chelsea will give super Frank a discount on loans and wages.

Access to loans maybe but not at a discount.

Appointing FL is interesting from both sides. Lampard will know that Derby are skint but he obviously sees management with a very limited budget as a challenge.

Derby themselves are taking a huge risk in taking on a guy with zero managerial experience. That said all mamangers have to start somewhere.....

37 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

Derby have NO money, their chairman has said they have to cut down the wage bill massively and get rid of a number of players. I can't see him sanctioning a player on big money when he has just said that.

So they are trying something else as they can’t spend so much anymore. They have got a ‘name’ manager and players will be likely eager to join and work with him. As others have said they have a route from the Chelsea academy players and maybe others through Jodie Morris.

Will be interesting to see who they get and will it work. There is so much inexperience within the management team though, not sure having good players are enough if you don’t know what to do with them

50 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

We get central news and they had an interview with Lampard yesterday.

It was noticeable how gagey Frank became when asked about how much money he has to spend on new players. His comment was that he had had discussions with the chairman/owner about that, but would not go into any detail at all.

If he does well then, good luck to the guy, but can't help feeling that this might be too big  job too soon and at the wrong time, in terms of Derby's financial position.

38 minutes ago, downendcity said:

We get central news and they had an interview with Lampard yesterday.

It was noticeable how gagey Frank became when asked about how much money he has to spend on new players. His comment was that he had had discussions with the chairman/owner about that, but would not go into any detail at all.

If he does well then, good luck to the guy, but can't help feeling that this might be too big  job too soon and at the wrong time, in terms of Derby's financial position.

There will be a lot of pressure for him to produce using his contacts and mates rates deals, but business is business and how many will commit themselves to working for a mates for thousands and thousands of pounds less then they could get elsewhere. 

Like you said, too big a job too soon. 

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

No guarantees of course not, but had we pushed the boat out a bit in Jan, I think we would have made the playoffs.

Overarching point though I agree- Derby found this out, Sheffield Wednesday likewise- Villa, Boro potentially (depends on next season). Birmingham nearly dropped this year.

The big exception is Wolves. I would say though, and yeah they spent more than most- the way Wolves spent, their strategy to go with the money? Cleverer than Derby, Villa and Sheff Wed by far IMO...(Putting aside the ethics of the Wolves strategy, Mendes etc).

problem is people wanted us to push the boat out and sign a striker in jan (which we did) when goal scorer was never the problem, defending was

47 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

problem is people wanted us to push the boat out and sign a striker in jan (which we did) when goal scorer was never the problem, defending was

Our defence was pretty sound first half of season- especially in the 4-4-1-1 configuration (I know, I know Villa- but that was a game too far).

When we went to 4-4-2 that is when there was a clear and quite drastic decline IMO. 4-4-2 leaves us too open.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Our defence was pretty sound first half of season- especially in the 4-4-1-1 configuration (I know, I know Villa- but that was a game too far).

When we went to 4-4-2 that is when there was a clear and quite drastic decline IMO. 4-4-2 leaves us too open.

we aren't strong enough for a 4-4-2 the midfield is too week, which is why the 4-4-1-1 worked so well as we had an extra midfielder at times 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we aren't strong enough for a 4-4-2 the midfield is too week, which is why the 4-4-1-1 worked so well as we had an extra midfielder at times 

Exactly- agree with that.

Don't think we'll progress on the pitch if we play a 4-4-2 in any case- this division has changed and is still changing. Look at the top 6- how many of them played a straight 4-4-2 week in week out?

Would even argue that the 4-4-1-1 with Paterson behind Reid was at times a strikerless formation.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Exactly- agree with that.

Don't think we'll progress on the pitch if we play a 4-4-2 in any case- this division has changed and is still changing. Look at the top 6- how many of them played a straight 4-4-2 week in week out?

as much as i like fammy, his inclusion coincided with our run of form as we tried to fit him in, (understandable with what we paid for him) we need some combative midfielders, pack and smith are workman like and busy but they are too similar and not good enough defensively, the last few games you could count on one hand the amount of tackles going in outside the 18 yard box  

The bit that I don’t get is if we play 442 and the opposition play say 433, they will have advantages in certain areas, and we will in others.  There is no magic formula / formation, it’s about getting the best out of your individuals and overall the team.  If you know you are playing 442 against 433, you should be trying to exploit your positions of advantage and minimising the opportunities the opponent has to take advantage of theirs.

The biggest problem I see is where we stay rigid to our set-up, often allowing overloads, e.g in the wide positions (against say Joe), yet 2 players (sometimes 3) aren’t marking anyone.  Leaders on the pitch and astute head-coaches stop that happening, or react quickly, either altering something or imposing their strengths further.

Archived