IGNORED

Magnússon on his way

foghornred

If we end up with the first team clearout of bryan, reid, flint, possibly pack and Magnússon I don't have much faith in our ability to recruit better players under the current regime, how many of Johnsons 30 odd signings regularly make the first team ?

I also feel like we should have held on until after the World Cup before selling. If he has a excellent tournament, bearing in mind he is up against Messi in the group stages, he could double his value. Even if he had a poor tournament I don't think his value will diminish significantly given that he's playing for 'plucky Iceland'. 

Bad decision imo, potential is there for him to be an excellent defender, he’d probably admit to himself that he’s adjusting to the pace of the English game having been schooled in Italy for the past few years, but given his age that’s easily sorted given the chance.

The ‘oh he’s great with the fans’ brigade will be the only ones pleased with this news.

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Heard on the grapevine that LJ and MA not happy about it but have no choice. 

Can assume from that either order has come from above or from Mags himself.

I would hazard a guess at the latter. Sorry Mags. Can't blame you tbf.

I doubt he is to happy with the way he has been treated here - so cannot blame him.

4 hours ago, SX227 said:

Massive mistake by the club.

Mags will end up being a very,very good player. The signs are there for all to see - we just dont play a system to bring out the best in him.

Personally feel this is a poor decision.

Good luck to the lad. 

He will definitely be a good player for someone else. You’re right, we don’t play a system that suits him so for that reason it’s a good decision to let him move on. I wish him the best.

21 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I doubt he is to happy with the way he has been treated here - so cannot blame him.

He hasn’t exactly taken his chances has he? There’s always a mistake in there waiting to happen.

5 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Heard on the grapevine that LJ and MA not happy about it but have no choice. 

Can assume from that either order has come from above or from Mags himself.

I would hazard a guess at the latter. Sorry Mags. Can't blame you tbf.

SL made it pretty clear we have to sell to buy so I suspect the former is the bigger factor.

Though the implication from the Post is that LJ did not want to sell this early in the window not that he didn't want to sell at all.

Possibly he wanted to bring someone in first - e.g. McQueen - or he thought we would get more for Mags later in the window.

7 hours ago, tts_city said:

If we end up with the first team clearout of bryan, reid, flint, possibly pack and Magnússon I don't have much faith in our ability to recruit better players under the current regime, how many of Johnsons 30 odd signings regularly make the first team ?

Don’t worry, SL has said we must do better next season than last. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

He’s ok but has a 50p head and a liability, I could be proved wrong and if he does well FairPlay but I’m not losing much sleep over this really

Ditto, if he was as good as some think he would have been a regular. Probably had a couple of good games out of the 50 odd he’s played.

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Another poor move my the club. Should have played more times in a settled back four.I for one feel 2.5 euros is bad businees, should be asking for 4 . Really sorry to see him go

Really ?

Where would you have played him , and in place of who ?

Echo the other remarks about his evident potential in the right system but lets face it, LJ blamed him for lots of things the season before last, dropped him whenever he had the chance, and couldn't wait to get rid of him - the attempted sale to FC Rostov (me either) in January was evidence of that.

It's no surprise that he's now gone, it always struck me that Johnson disliked him (there was no way Preston away justified the singling out he got) but perhaps the baby-faced looks and mild mannered attitude made him an easy target for Johnson's seething frustrations about his own coaching form.

With that said, despite the fun-loving social media I'm certainly not going to pretend Magnússon was one of our best players, nor get emotional about him leaving, BUT seeing a multi-million LJ signing sold for a little less than we paid for him (probably first of several), sums up the standard of transfers.

Sadly that's probably quite a good return versus where certain other Scandinavian signings are in their "ROI" - recruitment has been awful and they'll flip this money into someone equally "promising" who'll play for about 3 weeks until LJ needs to roll out the "players I can trust" line before binning them off.

We finished the season with 2 players going to the World Cup. A few weeks later and we now have no players going to the world cup! Selling Mags at a loss is another explicit failure of our stated player investment strategy, and the Chief Executive responsible earns £25k a month to keep overseeing it. 

2 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Cant cross for toffee.....Cost us points with panic decisions....opponents targetted him as weakness....nice guy but not good enough imo and clubs too it seems....2.5m euro sounds fair.....wish him luck...

His crossing is actually very good, look at the wolves game as an example... 

Really think he'd have suited being the left centre back of a back three, wouldn't have meant he'd have needed to be so physical and he'd have had more time in the ball. He'll become a very good player in the European leagues but don't think his game is suited to the pace of England 

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

Echo the other remarks about his evident potential in the right system but lets face it, LJ blamed him for lots of things the season before last, dropped him whenever he had the chance, and couldn't wait to get rid of him - the attempted sale to FC Rostov (me either) in January was evidence of that.

It's no surprise that he's now gone, it always struck me that Johnson disliked him (there was no way Preston away justified the singling out he got) but perhaps the baby-faced looks and mild mannered attitude made him an easy target for Johnson's seething frustrations about his own coaching form.

With that said, despite the fun-loving social media I'm certainly not going to pretend Magnússon was one of our best players, nor get emotional about him leaving, BUT seeing a multi-million LJ signing sold for a little less than we paid for him (probably first of several), sums up the standard of transfers.

Sadly that's probably quite a good return versus where certain other Scandinavian signings are in their "ROI" - recruitment has been awful and they'll flip this money into someone equally "promising" who'll play for about 3 weeks until LJ needs to roll out the "players I can trust" line before binning them off.

We finished the season with 2 players going to the World Cup. A few weeks later and we now have no players going to the world cup! Selling Mags at a loss is another explicit failure of our stated player investment strategy, and the Chief Executive responsible earns £25k a month to keep overseeing it. 

He made the same type of mistake three times last season, getting caught in possession when he should have just got rid of the ball, if I was the manager I would be wondering if he is capable of learning from his mistakes and if so when. He has attributes which were always going to make him a crowd pleaser, but he will have to work very hard to be good enough for Champions league football with a club like CSKA. 
It doesn't surprise me that he is leaving, last match of the season he looked like he was waving goodbye as the players made the pitch walk at the end.

33 minutes ago, Olé said:

Sadly that's probably quite a good return versus where certain other Scandinavian signings are in their "ROI" - recruitment has been awful and they'll flip this money into someone equally "promising" who'll play for about 3 weeks until LJ needs to roll out the "players I can trust" line before binning them off 

Aren’t they leaving this summer though!? 

Players I can trust = Frankie, Flint, Joe, Bobby, Korey and Marlon. Maybe Brownhill. 

Most of those will be gone by the time we kick off the season I’d expect. 

Archived