IGNORED

The Mass Exodus

123red1

So if you believe the papers and certain fans views it's conceivable that this summer we could sell;

Fielding
Baker
Flint
Bryan
Pack
Magnússon
Reid
Engvall
Taylor

That's just the ones the rumour mill or papers have suggested !

That's 9 players, of which 8 were very much around our first team last season, and 7 of them pivotal in our first half of the season success last year.

I just don't see how we could replace those players both first team and squad. A couple maybe, but if as feared a high number go, will we spend the money on the right replacements or will the youth be given a chance.

Could be a dangerous season I fear. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Didn't we have similar rumours last year?

Don't think so. We had a few players who were out of contract and left and obviously a couple of loans went, but think it was only the expected leavers who went re Tomlin.

I think Flint was the only rumoured leaver tbh and lets be honest, had Birmingham met our demands he would have been sold. 

3 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

So if you believe the papers and certain fans views it's conceivable that this summer we could sell;

Fielding
Baker
Flint
Bryan
Pack
Magnússon
Reid
Engvall
Taylor

That's 9 players, of which 8 were very much around our first team last season, and 7 of them pivotal in our first half of the season success last year.

I just don't see how we could replace those players both first team and squad. A couple maybe, but if as feared a high number go, will we spend the money on the right replacements or will the youth be given a chance.

Certainly we will need the new players to gel quickly .

The double winners know each other's game well but ultimately it was not enough to maintain a promotion push.

I believe most of them need to move on now , with our blessing. 

We will need to be patient and supportive of next season's team.'

The gamble is to bring in better players who hopefully move us up .

An interesting season awaits us , hold onto your hats .

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

To be honest , I'm at the end of my tether, LJ said judge him after 3 transfer windows this I think will be his 5th .

We cannot allow the manager to have ready made excuses - he is either up to the job and a decent manager or we have backed the wrong man.

If we start the new season like we finished the last, patient and supportive will be in short supply.

I wish LJ well, as when we are good we look really good but equally on our off days we resemble a pub team

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Who has said Baker and Taylor are leaving? 

There's been fans saying Baker isn't favoured by Johnson and one of the bad apples and Johnson has no confidence in him. Taylor was being heavily linked with Shrewsbury before the playoffs.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I am sure sometimes people just make stuff up on here.

Wouldn't surprise me. Personally I like Taylor, not sure on Baker as think Flint is better, but I kinda like Taylor as a player although I know I'm in the minority. 

23 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

To be honest , I'm at the end of my tether, LJ said judge him after 3 transfer windows this I think will be his 5th .

We cannot allow the manager to have ready made excuses - he is either up to the job and a decent manager or we have backed the wrong man.

If we start the new season like we finished the last, patient and supportive will be in short supply.

I wish LJ well, as when we are good we look really good but equally on our off days we resemble a pub team

He said after 3 windows he'd want to have a squad he could play the style of football he wanted, I think the majority of the season we showed that, just lacked the quality to get us over the line. There was nothing about play offs or promotion after three windows.

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

He said after 3 windows he'd want to have a squad he could play the style of football he wanted, I think the majority of the season we showed that, just lacked the quality to get us over the line. There was nothing about play offs or promotion after three windows.

I think this needs to be pinned at the top of the forum. I find it frustrating seeing how often a misinterpretation of this line gets thrown around. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

The double winners know each other's game well but ultimately it was not enough to maintain a promotion push.

I believe most of them need to move on now , with our blessing. 

Totally agree on if it did happen would need them to gel quickly but remember are double winning season that was basically a whole new team bar a few ;-)

1 hour ago, 123red1 said:

Fielding
Baker
Flint
Bryan
Pack
Magnússon
Reid
Engvall
Taylor

Its all over, we're doomed, best not wait to see what happens, just keep whining, FFS!

There has been nothing concrete about any of those mentioned bar Bryan and Magnússon really. 

Bryan- Links to Burnley not going away. I’d say likely he goes. Already linked with a new LB and we have Kelly. Count me as not worried.

Magnússon- CSKA Moscow seems a likely destination as linked with the Russian League before. 25 years old and won’t get in front of Baker. Not going to play over a new LB and would probably stifle Kelly progress. Count me as not worried. 

Flint- Always a faint link with bigger clubs due to his goal scoring record. The latest Fulham and Boro and fee around £9m. That would be a tidy return for a 28 year old. Though would be a loss. You’d think 9m we can cover the loss though. A worry but the funds make it right for the club. 

Reid- Some links to premier league clubs. Though seem speculative based on his contract. This one could go either way. A big loss but the club need to protect themselves and get a big fee for him if he flat out won’t sign. No one knows for sure so for me this is speculation. 

Engvall- Not close to first team so not a big deal. Cut losses

Pack&Baker&Taylor100% OTIB speculation. 99% all will be here next season. Pack may not sign a new deal but we won’t get a fee worth selling him for. He signs or leaves on a free. 

Fielding- Think similar to Pack. Some links but don’t think any fee will be worth losing for the upcoming season. 

Players come and player go. No need to fret over it. Our squad is large enough to cope with a few losses. Not to mention we will sign players too. Bryan and Reid go we have Kelly and Pato. Not to mention a good amount of money to buy replacements or to make us stronger in other positions. It always feels unfathomable to lose players but they go and teams always cope. Relax a bit and enjoy summer. We all know how stressed we will be come August regardless. 

It is not the players leaving that bothers me overmuch, after all we don't have an established star, with a value of £20m. in today's transfer market.

It is the players that will come in which is my worry.  What guidelines will the club be following for new signings?  Players who will kick on from the first half of last season or players who are brought in who might make a few bob at season's end, plus a group of 'ones for the future'.  Will we take the added risk of bringing more European players in who might have difficulty settling in to not just English football but living in England or will we take risks that a league 1/2 player can up their game from the start.

Lots of unanswered questions, but the biggest by far is the recent quality of recruitment under all categories

Lets face it anyone in the squad is up for sale if the price is right.

There ain't much loyalty in this mad game anymore and with the crazy money  being paid these days for average players who can blame them for making a few quid while they can.

This is the time of year where agents start rumours to get their players in the public eye to see if they can get them that big move.

The only loyalty in the game is the paying public like us in afraid.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Yes, it's a pity playing the style he wanted only lasted between his 3rd & 4th window.

I agree totally with the fact players come and players go,remember being devestated when Shaun And Bob Taylor left,but as all clubs we carried on and new heroes appeared,my biggest concern is trusting LJ with the ‘millions’ we will be getting for the players possibly going,not had a brilliant track record so far.

700 million are you listening, most of what you read is made of lies...

Personally, I doubt any more than 3 on the list will depart. Do we want them to go? Probably not but that’s football. Without departures it’s hard to envisage the arrival of new blood which we need. There was definite improvement last season and I would call it a qualified success, but we’re unlikely to improve further with the same crop. We may like our defenders, but we need another right back badly, and we ship a lot of goals. We like our midfield, yet we bemoan a lack of creativity. There is not much wrong with the forward line, and many want to see more of Taylor and chances given to players like Hines and McCoulsky (if fit to play) but we also want a replacement for Reid if he departs. 

The fact is that every departure or new signing is a gamble, no matter how much due diligence has been done. There is no such thing as a perfect recuitment policy. Whether it’s City, or the giants of the game, balls ups are made from time to time. You have st have to keep the faith and Always Believe. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Finishing 11was a long way from the line.Anyway he better hurry up because we're meant to be in Europe in 2 years time

2 hours ago, hodge said:

He said after 3 windows he'd want to have a squad he could play the style of football he wanted, I think the majority of the season we showed that, just lacked the quality to get us over the line. There was nothing about play offs or promotion after three windows

2 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

2 hours ago, hodge said:

where did AR say that

No excuses next season , .... well...... some will scramble round and find some

5 hours ago, 123red1 said:

Fielding
Baker
Flint
Bryan
Pack
Magnússon
Reid
Engvall
Taylor

a lot of them were part of our second half of the season collapse as well, said before on another thread you will be pleasantly surprised by how good some of the players at the club that have not really had there chance yet are, time to have more faith in our younger players, it will be difficult at first and we may find for some of them it's a step too far at this stage, but we at least should give them a chance before we shell out millions replacing them.

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I am sure sometimes people just make stuff up on here.

I've been on this forum for 14 years and now you tell me!

3 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Lets face it anyone in the squad is up for sale if the price is right.

There ain't much loyalty in this mad game anymore and with the crazy money  being paid these days for average players who can blame them for making a few quid while they can.

This is the time of year where agents start rumours to get their players in the public eye to see if they can get them that big move.

The only loyalty in the game is the paying public like us in afraid.

sad but oh so true, lost count of the times at the end of the season I've said that's it not renewing, but guess what I always do.

4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

It is not the players leaving that bothers me overmuch, after all we don't have an established star, with a value of £20m. in today's transfer market.

It is the players that will come in which is my worry.  What guidelines will the club be following for new signings?  Players who will kick on from the first half of last season or players who are brought in who might make a few bob at season's end, plus a group of 'ones for the future'.  Will we take the added risk of bringing more European players in who might have difficulty settling in to not just English football but living in England or will we take risks that a league 1/2 player can up their game from the start.

Lots of unanswered questions, but the biggest by far is the recent quality of recruitment under all categories

It is a genuine concern. Probably the biggest failing of the current regime is recruitment though I don’t think they are awful at it. I have said before if looks worse because we have signed so many to give us the squad depth. 

The interesting thing for me is if Flint, Reid and Bryan go. Perhaps Fielding too then LJ will actually have to play some players he has signed! Might get a better idea of their recruitment then.

Idk, I am still optimistic for next season for some reason. Not hugely but not dreading it. Think we will finish about where we did this season even if those 3 leave. That would be decent considering. We will need to be stronger in the future though when it comes to losing players. At some point we will have to stop selling our best players every season. 

7 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Nails and heads come to mind. 

8 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Makes it even more interesting to see who comes in and what money will be spent. Could be one of the biggest spenders this summer.

I honestly believe that you will be a million miles away from what we actually spend. Unless we sell a couple for lots of cash, I think we'll be one of the lowest spenders in the Championship. 

Archived