IGNORED

Gunshots in Greece

tts_city

So I'm sat on a beach in Zante with my family, eight gunshots go off on the other end of the beach, I'm ex infantry and immediately I recognize it for what it is, likely a handgun by the rate of fire, considering all that's gone on lately I proper shat myself and start gathering the kids and look for an exit, quite a few other people are panicking, but then a guy shouts its just a greek wedding and its what they do.......Considering all that's gone on lately in the world cant they at least have a bit of understanding and not do that kindof shit near holidaymakers ? unfuckingbelievable

14 minutes ago, tts_city said:

So I'm sat on a beach in Zante with my family, eight gunshots go off on the other end of the beach, I'm ex infantry and immediately I recognize it for what it is, likely a handgun by the rate of fire, considering all that's gone on lately I proper shat myself and start gathering the kids and look for an exit, quite a few other people are panicking, but then a guy shouts its just a greek wedding and its what they do.......Considering all that's gone on lately in the world cant they at least have a bit of understanding and not do that kindof shit near holidaymakers ? unfuckingbelievable

….bride must be pregnant.

(Shotgun wedding)  

35 minutes ago, tts_city said:

So I'm sat on a beach in Zante with my family, eight gunshots go off on the other end of the beach, I'm ex infantry and immediately I recognize it for what it is, likely a handgun by the rate of fire, considering all that's gone on lately I proper shat myself and start gathering the kids and look for an exit, quite a few other people are panicking, but then a guy shouts its just a greek wedding and its what they do.......Considering all that's gone on lately in the world cant they at least have a bit of understanding and not do that kindof shit near holidaymakers ? un*******believable

Totally understand what you are saying and the panic that goes with it...but you are sat on a Greek beach. When in Rome all that.

3 hours ago, tts_city said:

Totally agree mate,why should their years of tradition be allowed when people are trying to enjoy their holidays 

On 03/06/2018 at 02:05, joe jordans teeth said:

Totally agree mate,why should their years of tradition be allowed when people are trying to enjoy their holidays 

Understand your argument Joe, but then the Greeks also need to remember not to bite the hand that feeds them. Their ruined economy relies a lot on tourism these days and acts like these are only going to scare people/put tourists off.

2 hours ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Understand your argument Joe, but then the Greeks also need to remember not to bite the hand that feeds them. Their ruined economy relies a lot on tourism these days and acts like these are only going to scare people/put tourists off.

Greece's collapse would not have occurred had their government been complacent during the boom and, subsequently, fulfilled their responsibilities during the bust so poorly. Following tradition and the monetary situation of a country are in the most part totally separate and now hopefully people who get scared by such an occurrence should try and embrace a countries nuances or at least accept them. Similarly if it does scare you, then visit countries where it is not a tradition. 

With regards to the original poster I can understand your kids being scared but hopefully once they were aware of the situation they were fine.

18 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Greece's collapse would not have occurred had their government been complacent during the boom and, subsequently, fulfilled their responsibilities during the bust so poorly. Following tradition and the monetary situation of a country are in the most part totally separate and now hopefully people who get scared by such an occurrence should try and embrace a countries nuances or at least accept them. Similarly if it does scare you, then visit countries where it is not a tradition. 

With regards to the original poster I can understand your kids being scared but hopefully once they were aware of the situation they were fine.

What random gunfire on a beach abroad in the current climate ? yeah ok I must just have a nervous disposition. With regards to tradition yes I get all that but I couldnt see a wedding taking place, im on a beach with the wife and kids and 8 shots ring out a couple of hundred metres away and people are panicking, it would be pretty irresponsible of me not to be worried for our immediate safety. I felt jumpy all day after that. Mind you that passed when i broke a tooth eating a gyros later on and a visit to a backstreet dentist in Zante town but that's another story........

On 04/06/2018 at 14:16, EmissionImpossible said:

As other posters have since said, I don't think being scared for your family's safety when you hear unexpected gunfire on a tourist beach, especially in the terror climate today, is daft at all. If that would have been me I'd have grabbed my wife and kids and got them out of there pronto. Be surprised if anyone wouldn't without knowing the full details of why there was gun fire.

I'm all for local customs and traditions, genuinely I am, whole part of going abroad, just saying the Greeks need to be a bit more sensitive in today's climate as other nations have learned to be. As said, tourism is a major part of their economy, you don't want to stop people coming.

But as you say, if such things do scare you then don't visit - sound advice, you won't catch me taking my kids to a beach where gunfire is going off.

Archived