IGNORED

Spot the missing chapter in this bio

Wolf Island

captures
24 Mar 2016 - 24 Jan 2017

Former West Ham footballer Izzy Iriekpen from Paddington is jailed for glassing pub bouncer

16:08 23 March 2016

Lorraine King

Izzy Iriekpen when he played for Swansea City (Pic credit: PA)

A former West Ham footballer from Paddington has been jailed today for glassing a bouncer in the face during a parking rage row.

Izzy Iriekpen, 33, of Westcliffe Apartments in South Wharf Road, left martial arts expert Simon Williams needing emergency surgery to repair two severed arteries in his neck before he bled to death.

The Old Bailey heard Mr Williams needed 61 stitches stretching from his temple to his shoulder after the attack outside a pub in Notting Hill in July 2014.

Iriekpen, who captained the 1999 FA Youth Cup winning team featuring Joe Cole and Michael Carrick, claimed that he forgot that he was holding the glass when he lashed out in self defence.

But prosecutors said he lost his temper because he felt ‘disrespected’ by Mr Williams in front of a female friend.

The attack happened Mr Williams went over to speak to Iriekpen after noticing the ex-footballer had moved outside the barrier around the pub with a drink in his hand.

Iriekpen appeared to be talking animatedly on the phone and moments later his friend pulled up in a black Porsche.

Mr Williams said he asked her to move the car because it was blocking the pavement and Iriekpen became angry and told him ‘don’t talk to me like that’ or ‘don’t talk to her like that’.

Mr Williams said he went to restrain Iriekpen but the footballer grabbed his throat and smashed the glass on the left side of the head.

“I felt a massive bang to my head,” he said.

Iriekpen played for the Hammers between 1998 and 2003 and after spells at other clubs retired due to injury in 2009.

He was convicted of unlawfully wounding Mr Williams and given three years and three months by the judge, Mr Michael Brompton, QC.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160324070432/http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/crime-court/former_west_ham_footballer_izzy_iriekpen_from_paddington_is_jailed_for_glassing_pub_bouncer_1_4468904

Well, he’s now a “football executive “ according to the website. As I’m sitting in the garden drinking a very nice glass of Rose (sorry can’t get the accent on the e)  and reading a newspaper, I could call myself a journalist wine expert 

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:
 captures
24 Mar 2016 - 24 Jan 2017

Former West Ham footballer Izzy Iriekpen from Paddington is jailed for glassing pub bouncer

16:08 23 March 2016

Lorraine King

A former West Ham footballer from Paddington has been jailed today for glassing a bouncer in the face during a parking rage row.

Izzy Iriekpen, 33, of Westcliffe Apartments in South Wharf Road, left martial arts expert Simon Williams needing emergency surgery to repair two severed arteries in his neck before he bled to death.

The Old Bailey heard Mr Williams needed 61 stitches stretching from his temple to his shoulder after the attack outside a pub in Notting Hill in July 2014.

Iriekpen, who captained the 1999 FA Youth Cup winning team featuring Joe Cole and Michael Carrick, claimed that he forgot that he was holding the glass when he lashed out in self defence.

But prosecutors said he lost his temper because he felt ‘disrespected’ by Mr Williams in front of a female friend.

The attack happened Mr Williams went over to speak to Iriekpen after noticing the ex-footballer had moved outside the barrier around the pub with a drink in his hand.

Iriekpen appeared to be talking animatedly on the phone and moments later his friend pulled up in a black Porsche.

Mr Williams said he asked her to move the car because it was blocking the pavement and Iriekpen became angry and told him ‘don’t talk to me like that’ or ‘don’t talk to her like that’.

Mr Williams said he went to restrain Iriekpen but the footballer grabbed his throat and smashed the glass on the left side of the head.

“I felt a massive bang to my head,” he said.

Iriekpen played for the Hammers between 1998 and 2003 and after spells at other clubs retired due to injury in 2009.

He was convicted of unlawfully wounding Mr Williams and given three years and three months by the judge, Mr Michael Brompton, QC.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160324070432/http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/crime-court/former_west_ham_footballer_izzy_iriekpen_from_paddington_is_jailed_for_glassing_pub_bouncer_1_4468904

Exactly Eddie.

15 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Not quite:

needing emergency surgery to repair two severed arteries in his neck before he bled to death

Thanks Eddie

Been on the Source this afternoon - has impaired my reading skills it seems

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Well, he’s now a “football executive “ according to the website. As I’m sitting in the garden drinking a very nice glass of Rose (sorry can’t get the accent on the e)  and reading a newspaper, I could call myself a journalist wine expert 

If you are using a mobile phone, just keep your finger on the e - it will then give you all the options, including é.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Also, spot the missing word in the first sentence under the sub-headline.....

It annoys me intensely when, in any official publication, such glaring errors are allowed to be released, our own Bristol Live being one of the worst culprits.

The legendary Egyptian presenter, Roger Malone, of HTV fame, once introduced me to the following typo, referring to Queen Victoria on a visit to the Menai Bridge in Anglesey, which went something along the lines of:

'The Queen herself pissed graciously over the magnificent edifice'  

Treason, I should have thought.

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It annoys me intensely when, in any official publication, such glaring errors are allowed to be released, our own Bristol Live being one of the worst culprits.

The legendary Egyptian presenter, Roger Malone, of HTV fame, once introduced me to the following typo, referring to Queen Victoria on a visit to the Menai Bridge in Anglesey, which went something along the lines of:

Luckily they use champagne these days to launch ships .

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

This reminds me of the incident in the late-1840s when a diplomat was introduced to Queen Victoria and passed wind as he bent to kiss her hand.

'How dare you fart before my wife!' Prince Albert responded indignantly.

'I'm sorry,' replied the diplomat, 'I didn't know it was her turn.'

5 hours ago, handsofclay said:

This reminds me of the incident in the late-1840s when a diplomat was introduced to Queen Victoria and passed wind as he bent to kiss her hand.

'How dare you fart before my wife!' Prince Albert responded indignantly.

'I'm sorry,' replied the diplomat, 'I didn't know it was her turn.'

I heard a story many years ago about Princess Anne and flatulence - the story has been recounted more recently to include HRH Queen Elizabeth.

Apparently Princess Anne was in the company of some distinguished guest when one of her dogs or horses (I forget which) farted loudly.

Princess Anne immediately apologised and the guest replied that he was not at all offended and, in any event, had thought it was the dog/horse.

Archived