IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Might be made to eat my words here but I don’t really rate Belgium at all. Considering the talent they have they just don’t look that good and I can’t see them doing that well. Quarters at best.

I agree they have flattered to deceive recently but with the talent they have in the squad in almost every position they certainly have the potential to go far.

As an aside, are you confident of England getting a result against them in the Group stages? Personally, I would be happy with a point.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Might be made to eat my words here but I don’t really rate Belgium at all. Considering the talent they have they just don’t look a particularly good team and I can’t see them doing that well. Quarters at best - and we will beat them in the group.

It's more Martinez I don't rate.

6 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

I agree they have flattered to deceive recently but with the talent they have in the squad in almost every position they certainly have the potential to go far.

As an aside, are you confident of England getting a result against them in the Group stages? Personally, I would be happy with a point.

Yeah I am. I think we have a system that will work for us. I also think the likes of Walker, Kane and Sterling are winners and that mentality will rub off on the squad. I think Lingard and Alli is a potentially very exciting combination and both can be match winners.

I also think our wing backs, as we saw with the double winning team, are at their best as wing backs and the system will allow them to thrive. Ashley Young will have a good tournament I think. I’m quietly confident about this side for some reason.

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah I am. I think we have a system that will work for us. I also think the likes of Walker, Kane and Sterling are winners and that mentality will rub off on the squad. I think Lingard and Alli is a potentially very exciting combination and both can be match winners.

I also think our wing backs, as we saw with the double winning team, are at their best as wing backs and the system will allow them to thrive. Ashley Young will have a good tournament I think. I’m quietly confident about this side for some reason.

Fair play. 

Personally I think that Ashley Young could be one of the players that may get targeted by the opposition as whilst he is good going forward I think defensively he could be a weak link.

Agreed that Kane, Alli, Sterling and Lingard could be match winners the same could be said for De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku and Mertens.

Defensively Belgium also have Kompany, Alderwiereld and Vertonghen who, in my opinion, would walk into most teams in the tournament. 

One thing against the Belgians is the fitness of key players like Lukaku, Alderwiereld and Kompany.

11 hours ago, Coppello said:

I'm genuinely intrigued who you're talking about as I would've thought the two favourites from Man City are Aguero or Jesus; neither of which are too difficult to spell! 

İlkay Gündoğan?

Mind you - I'll really will bear my backside in Burton's window if he is top scorer.

5 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Fair play. 

Personally I think that Ashley Young could be one of the players that may get targeted by the opposition as whilst he is good going forward I think defensively he could be a weak link.

Agreed that Kane, Alli, Sterling and Lingard could be match winners the same could be said for De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku and Mertens.

Defensively Belgium also have Kompany, Alderwiereld and Vertonghen who, in my opinion, would walk into most teams in the tournament. 

One thing against the Belgians is the fitness of key players like Lukaku, Alderwiereld and Kompany.

Yeah they’re a weird side. Remind me a bit of us in 2006 - loads of great players individually but not really a team. We’ll see - might well be wrong but out of all the better sides they’re one I’d have a bit more faith in us beating.

• Admin
13 hours ago, daored said:

Just over a week to go until World Cup starts, who do you predict will?

Win the World Cup   - England

Top goalscorer - Harry Kane

How far with England go - Winners

Surprise package / player or country -  Raheem Sterling

Just remembered I haven't taken my meds this morning

England.... (in reality, France)

Harry Kane.... (nah, Ronaldo probably)

Finals... (Pah, I'd be suprised if we get past Round of 16 or.. group.... Lose to Belgium 2-1, draw with Panama 1-1 and Tunisia 0-0 in true 2010 Algeria style..)

Panama (because they'll get through instead of us...)

It's quite refreshing being pessimistic about England for once. This is the first year I haven't been buzzing off my tots about how England are finally going to do something special. Will be nice to be surprised!

9 minutes ago, CIDER NOT CIDRE said:

England.... (in reality, France)

Harry Kane.... (nah, Ronaldo probably)

Finals... (Pah, I'd be suprised if we get past Round of 16 or.. group.... Lose to Belgium 2-1, draw with Panama 1-1 and Tunisia 0-0 in true 2010 Algeria style..)

Panama (because they'll get through instead of us...)

It's quite refreshing being pessimistic about England for once. This is the first year I haven't been buzzing off my tots about how England are finally going to do something special. Will be nice to be surprised!

Surely you can’t have been that optimistic in 2012, 2014 or 2016.. even 2010 I remember the expectations being low.

14 hours ago, daored said:

Win the World Cup

Top goalscorer

How far with England go

Surpruse package / player or country

France

Griezmann

Knocked out round of 16 against Poland 

On paper not really a surprise but i expect Belgium to get to the semis knocking out Brazil in the quarters. Thats if they top our group if we top the group then its likely they will have Germany in the quarters.

10 minutes ago, BS10 RED said:

France

Griezmann

Knocked out round of 16 against Poland 

On paper not really a surprise but i expect Belgium to get to the semis knocking out Brazil in the quarters. Thats if they top our group if we top the group then its likely they will have Germany in the quarters.

Belgium remind me of our golden generation and I don't think they'll do much despite having one of the best teams on paper. I can them beating us but then going out to Colombia/Poland in the next round. 

15 hours ago, daored said:

Win the World Cup

Top goalscorer

How far with England go

Surpruse package / player or country

France

Neymar

Quarters 

Senegal / Mane

Archived