IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

1 hour ago, Super said:

Benteke left out by Belgium. He would get into our squad.

I certainly wouldn't have him in the England squad. He's had a horrible season, 3 goals in 30 games.

As for the Welbeck comparison, he's scored 10 goals in 43 games, many of which came from a wider position. Welbeck has always been a consistent performer for England, and whilst he isn't great, he covers all the positions across the forward line, and always gives maximum effort.

I'd have Welbeck over Benteke all day long at this world cup.

8 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

I certainly wouldn't have him in the England squad. He's had a horrible season, 3 goals in 30 games.

As for the Welbeck comparison, he's scored 10 goals in 43 games, many of which came from a wider position. Welbeck has always been a consistent performer for England, and whilst he isn't great, he covers all the positions across the forward line, and always gives maximum effort.

I'd have Welbeck over Benteke all day long at this world cup.

I certainly wouldn't, Benteke would offer something different from the bench whilst I agree though he isn't great he is a far better choice than Welbeck.

50 minutes ago, Super said:

I certainly wouldn't, Benteke would offer something different from the bench whilst I agree though he isn't great he is a far better choice than Welbeck.

I think it depends on what you want from forwards. I agree about taking a big forward has it's merits. I think we see Kane as the 'big man' even though he's obviously not a conventional one but clearly you'd choose him over Benteke if it was either/or.

As for the others and their quality.. Vardy for his aggression, tenacity and goals, Rashford for raw pace and Welbeck for versatility.

Welbeck has been very good for England and he will run all day. I can see why we picked him.

I don't think we necessarily need a 5th forward because we have a few players who could fill in if necessary.. Lindard/Alli could play a withdrawn forward role and Sterling could too or play higher up.

1 hour ago, fishy said:

Terrifyingly, how good are Germany going to be if they can afford to leave out Sane?  Can you ever imagine an English manager leaving out a player like that?  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44355950

Utter madness. I see Ozil is in the squad. They must have a better alternative than him? He must play a lot better for his country than his club. I mean, surely ze Germans don't pick on reputation alone?

• Admin
7 hours ago, Nathandao said:

Just read that Sané has been dropped from the Germany squad. Can anyone confirm it?

Sky just put some interesting stats up about him 

Germany record 

12 games 

6 starts 

592 minutes played 

0 goals 

1 assist 

May go some ways to explain the decision? 

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Might be made to eat my words here but I don’t really rate Belgium at all. Considering the talent they have they just don’t look a particularly good team and I can’t see them doing that well. Quarters at best - and we will beat them in the group.

Agree, they are too Premier league in their make up. Premier league style football ( Man City excepted) doesn’t win tournaments.

3 hours ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Utter madness. I see Ozil is in the squad. They must have a better alternative than him? He must play a lot better for his country than his club. I mean, surely ze Germans don't pick on reputation alone?

Clearly not, otherwise one assumes Sane would have been in the squad. Rest assured Joachim Low knows exactly what he's doing and Germany will surely go deep into this World Cup. My pick to win it in fact.

As for us, a lot of people saying expectations are low. But given how piss easy our draw is we really should be making the quarters; even with a really inexperienced squad. 

Fully expect us to muck that up though and either go out in the group or round of 16.

Let's be honest; the last two tournaments have been appalling from an England perspective.

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Correct @Super

image.png

image.png

image.png

That draw with America has to be one of the most embarrassing in recent history. I can handle the odd Costa Rica, but to draw with that lot, jesus.

Clint ******* Dempsey scored.

Did Rob Green ever recover from that?

15 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

That draw with America has to be one of the most embarrassing in recent history. I can handle the odd Costa Rica, but to draw with that lot, jesus.

The draw with Algeria was worse I reckon.

38 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

22 minutes ago, Super said:

The draw with Algeria was worse I reckon.

The US weren't a bad side - for years they were hovering between 10th and 25th in the world rankings, which is only a few places below our average ranking.

The Algeria game wasn't pretty but it's interesting to note that in the last world cup, Germany also drew 0-0 with them after 90 minutes (only beating them in extra time).

19 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Agree, they are too Premier league in their make up. Premier league style football ( Man City excepted) doesn’t win tournaments.

Belgium have a very talented squad. They omitted Radja Nainggolan for starters (that's Sane esq). Their downfall ultimately will be Martinez I feel. I don't think he's a good enough coach.

2 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Belgium have a very talented squad. They omitted Radja Nainggolan for starters (that's Sane esq). Their downfall ultimately will be Martinez I feel. I don't think he's a good enough coach.

100% this. I see Chadli got into the squad which was a bizarre choice.

On 03/06/2018 at 21:01, daored said:

Just over a week to go until World Cup starts, who do you predict will?

Win the World Cup

Top goalscorer

How far with England go

Surpruse package / player or country

Brazil

Jesus

Last 16

Colombia

21 hours ago, phantom said:

Sky just put some interesting stats up about him 

Germany record 

12 games 

6 starts 

592 minutes played 

0 goals 

1 assist 

May go some ways to explain the decision? 

I saw that too, even so he seems too good to leave out, even if his international form isn't as good as his club form.

On 03/06/2018 at 21:01, daored said:

Just over a week to go until World Cup starts, who do you predict will?

Win the World Cup

Top goalscorer

How far with England go

Surpruse package / player or country

England 

Kane 

Winners 

England 

After months of looking forward to enjoying a WC with no expectations for England, I've gone into full WC muppet mode... no doubt crying into my Thatchers after a penalty shoot-out defeat to Poland in R2.... 

Archived