IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Good goal that. Fancied the Saudis to cause a mini upset today but they just don't look strong enough to compete.

Hey, Owl visiting, a penny for your thoughts. On another thread we are having a debate about the great news, for most, that the iconic robin and suspension bridge badge will be back on our shirts next season instead of the Bristol coat of arms. How well would it go down with Wednesday fans, like yourself, if it was announced that the owl would be replaced on your badge by the Sheffield coat of arms?

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Hey, Owl visiting, a penny for your thoughts. On another thread we are having a debate about the great news, for most, that the iconic robin and suspension bridge badge will be back on our shirts next season instead of the Bristol coat of arms. How well would it go down with Wednesday fans, like yourself, if it was announced that the owl would be replaced on your badge by the Sheffield coat of arms?

Not a good comparison at all though.

An owl has been on all Wednesday badges and The Owls is a nickname they have had for over a century.

We've been The Robins for 60-70 years and had the Robin as a badge for a bit under 20(?)

We also had the Bristol coat of arms as (one of?) our first badge and the majority of the time we have had a badge it has been the crest.

1 minute ago, handsofclay said:

We changed our badge a couple of seasons ago and it went down very badly. Any form of change at our club does though really, most Sheffield folk are very stuck in their ways.

If the Owl went altogether there'd probably be protests, I wouldn't be happy. 

There are rumours that we'll be getting our stripes back next season which many are desperate for.   

11 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

We changed our badge a couple of seasons ago and it went down very badly. Any form of change at our club does though really, most Sheffield folk are very stuck in their ways.

If the Owl went altogether there'd probably be protests, I wouldn't be happy. 

There are rumours that we'll be getting our stripes back next season which many are desperate for.   

My first memories of a Wednesday kit was the blue and white Arsenal style one from back in the 60s and 70s - I can still see Peter Eustace (!) wearing it in my minds eye now. Was that your `traditional` one or is it stripes?

Love the owl badge BTW, when you see it you`re in no doubt who`s it is.

26 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Good goal that. Fancied the Saudis to cause a mini upset today but they just don't look strong enough to compete.

They're all very skilful players but lack any strength or leaders on the pitch. 

I can see Russia scoring another couple of goals this half.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

My first memories of a Wednesday kit was the blue and white Arsenal style one from back in the 60s and 70s - I can still see Peter Eustace (!) wearing it in my minds eye now. Was that your `traditional` one or is it stripes?

Love the owl badge BTW, when you see it you`re in no doubt who`s it is.

Yeah, that's the one we replicated last season, I really liked it as I'm generally not a fan of striped shirts. Only black and white versions like Newcaste and Juve look nice really. 

The stripes are the traditional kit but historically we have had others. (including hoops which was our first) 

1 minute ago, Owl Visiting said:

Yeah, that's the one we replicated last season, I really liked it as I'm generally not a fan of striped shirts. Only black and white versions like Newcaste and Juve look nice really. 

The stripes are the traditional kit but historically we have had others. (including hoops which was our first) 

I wasn`t keen on yours last season TBH - was it a darker blue or something?

3 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

You even wore "da famous quarterz" (as gasheads call their kit) long before Bristol Rovers did.

Well, maybe not you personally- it was the 1880s.

2 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I want to say it's just our Icelandic defender, Hörður Magnússon - however he appears to have sealed a move to CSKA if reports are to be believed.

What about you?

Nah, nobody unfortunately. Can't even remember the last time we had one there. 

8 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Nah, nobody unfortunately. Can't even remember the last time we had one there. 

What nationality is your no 17? - can't spell his name!

Btw my earlier Scottish squad post I nicked off of OwlsTalk.

Feel Saudis were trying too hard to play nice football, Russias defence is slow and with a bit more directness and pace Saudi Arabia could have troubled them. If Saudi Arabia play like that in the next two games they may well end up with the worst group stage record of all time, no where near enough quality to play such open football 

25 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Going to lump on both Cavani and Suarez for top scorer.  They'll carve the Saudis to pieces based on that.  Russia weren't that good.  

I must admit I`ve been keeping an eye on Uruguay, I think they could do very well. Of the `almost` sides they seem to be best placed.

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I must admit I`ve been keeping an eye on Uruguay, I think they could do very well. Of the `almost` sides they seem to be best placed.

They've got those 2 up top and the the Athletico Madrid centre Halves.  Tabarez the manager is a wily old fox who misses nothing,  Always really competitive and excellent competitors....  

Archived