IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would have taken the gutless pussie Pepe off at half time and probably sent him home, he was only ever interested in gaining a foul by diving to the ground instead of staying on his and fighting for the ball, may have prevented a goal in an important game at a time when Portugal were at least holding their own, this is a world cup after all.

Yet pundits etc call him a hardman :facepalm:

Bloke is one of the worst cheats in the game. Awfully over rated too.

Fantastic game between spain and portugal and the first one I have watched in glorious 4k UHD.  When I switched back to HD at one point it looked awful until my eyes became accustomed.  Just like stepping down from HD to SD.  Did get a little buffering though despite having BT infinity.  Not sure whether that was the beeb or my isp.

2 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Can somebody please explain VAR to me?

VAR working exactly as it should thus far. Costa may have committed a foul but if it’s not a 100% clear that that’s the case then leave it as it is.

Surely in the cases where there is doubt, the referee should refer to VAR, and when it's clear, the referee's in a position to make the call?

Rule is where a decision is clearly wrong.  It's a similar mentality to LBWs where the ball looks like it would have clipped the leg stump.  Enough doubt to stay with the onfield decision.  I think they have got it right.  It was only ever going to work when they got the world's best referees in one place and agreed how it would work.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think in the case of potential fouls the point is to make sure there’s nothing obvious the ref didn’t see (ie a clear foul that the ref missed because his view was blocked or something off the ball or behind the play he missed). In the case of marginal things where you could argue either way the refs original decision will stand. 

Well explained.  Seems logical to me. They look like they've got it nailed.  

6 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would have taken the gutless pussie Pepe off at half time and probably sent him home, he was only ever interested in gaining a foul by diving to the ground instead of staying on his and fighting for the ball, may have prevented a goal in an important game at a time when Portugal were at least holding their own, this is a world cup after all.

Have you ever watched Sergio Busquets? :) He's been disintergrating for more than a decade. Even last night there was a treat for those of us who enjoyed his work in ensuring that Inter Milan player missed a CL final nearly a decade ago. The original melt. I understand why Pepe is a pantomime villain for some but I will never understand why he gets it continually, yet Busquets (whether it is Barcelona or Spain) is rarely mentioned. 

For me Busquets is and always will be the most obvious example of gamesmanship. Pepe lightweight perhaps, but at least he got a forearm to the face and read it as a foul that'd be given, for his troubles. Busquets hacks into people one minute and tries to get them booked the next, for years, including last night. You honestly won't see worse but for Busquets flys under the radar. The one member of the starting eleven who got booked last night. ;)

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCNACELwBSFryq4

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=busquets+diving

55 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Hordes of Peru fans at Domodedovo airport this morning, flying either to Saransk or Penza for their game against Denmark later today. Seems like every second person in the departures area is wearing a Peru shirt (and there were loads of them on my flight from Munich to Moscow yesterday too). 

Have a good time and can you please let me know how tight security is getting into the ground? I’ve let a mate have my Belgium ticket he is a member of the travel club but is sweating a bit .many thanks

10 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Each to their own. The amount of points saved purely because of De Gea's saves is unreal. Him and Neuer are top 2, for sure.

What has he won?  Answer is virtually nothing.  When Manure won the FA Cup and Europa League the season before this, who was the keeper??? Answer is a proven international keeper..

The current Spain side is miles better than Manure.  Sign of a great keeper is the total lack of costly errors and the ability to pull off a great save when they've had nothing to do all game.   Do it at the top level and then be seen as a great.  

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

What has he won?  Answer is virtually nothing.  When Manure won the FA Cup and Europa League the season before this, who was the keeper??? Answer is a proven international keeper..

The current Spain side is miles better than Manure.  Sign of a great keeper is the total lack of costly errors and the ability to pull off a great save when they've had nothing to do all game.   Do it at the top level and then be seen as a great.  

The best keepers in the world make the odd horrendous mistake. Just like strikers, midfielders and defenders, however they’re forgotten minutes later. It’s a completely unforgiving position in which to make a mistake. 

De Gea is amongst the top handful of keepers in the world without doubt. He’s just got a pretty average club team around him. 

Whats Messi ever won with Argentina? Doesn’t stop him being one of the greatest footballers to have ever walked the planet. 

7 hours ago, Olé said:

Have you ever watched Sergio Busquets? :) He's been disintergrating for more than a decade. Even last night there was a treat for those of us who enjoyed his work in ensuring that Inter Milan player missed a CL final nearly a decade ago. The original melt. I understand why Pepe is a pantomime villain for some but I will never understand why he gets it continually, yet Busquets (whether it is Barcelona or Spain) is rarely mentioned. 

For me Busquets is and always will be the most obvious example of gamesmanship. Pepe lightweight perhaps, but at least he got a forearm to the face and read it as a foul that'd be given, for his troubles. Busquets hacks into people one minute and tries to get them booked the next, for years, including last night. You honestly won't see worse but for Busquets flys under the radar. The one member of the starting eleven who got booked last night. ;)

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCNACELwBSFryq4

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=busquets+diving

Firstly I was not commenting on other professional 'pantomime villains' there are far too many it would need a thread longer than the gas dustbin thread.

I was talking about a specific incident where one player wanted the ball and the other did not want it enough and then the player who did not want it enough play acted instead of acting like a highly paid 'professional' 'hard man' defender and trying to rectify his lack of effort/professionalism, by the time he comically jumped to his feet to try to cover his embarrassing part in the incident it was too late. 

Costa as we all know is no saint but he plainly wanted the ball far more than Pepe, there was never enough contact to put Pepe on his arse and certainly not enough to warrant his theatrical unprofessional dive to the ground, in short it was not a foul, it was a hugely unprofessional attitude by a highly paid international defender, he let his whole team down in that moment and clearly cannot be trusted, the irony is had Costa gone down in that challenge instead of treating us to a proper strikers goal, Shearer would have ripped him a new one in his summing up.

For the record I wanted Portugal to win this game, but what Pepe did was unacceptable and he needs to be told that in no uncertain terms, for me it goes to show how the dreaded modern cult of play acting can severely backfire and I am glad that it did in this case.

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

France thus far proving the old adage that a squad full of brilliant individuals does not necessarily a team make. 

It’s the same old French mentality, “we know we’re the best and we don’t need to prove it”.

Sorry if it’s alre been mentioned but where is Bailey Wright. I thought he was captain.

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Not for me . VAR can **** off

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

I`m not having that. Never a penalty. At best it was inconclusive.

Watch France win 1-0 now and go on to win the thing.

Agreed. Inconclusive. VAR is bringing nothing to the game. Actually embarrassing.

Archived