IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

12 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Not if Croatia beat Iceland 2-3 nil!

if Iceland beat Nigeria Croatia are already top and qualified anyway, do you really think they will try that hard to beat Iceland and potentially let a wounded Argentina back into the competition, no chance, it will be another city v Coventry scenario.

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

if Iceland beat Nigeria Croatia are already top and qualified anyway, do you really think they will try that hard to beat Iceland and potentially let a wounded Argentina back into the competition, no chance, it will be another city v Coventry scenario.

Argies will certainly be hoping for a Nigeria win.

10 minutes ago, pillred said:

Croatia will still want to win the group and avoid France though.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Croatia will still want to win the group and avoid France though.

They would win the group.

An Iceland win today puts them on 4, so a draw with Croatia leaves them 2 points behind Croatia.

Argies will max at 4 points, but unless they hammer Nigeria would go out on GD.

12 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It depends if they have anyone playing behind them that can get the ball to them, the evidence seem to show they haven’t!

They probably would have, if the manager actually played them.

The whole set-up was bizarre. You'd think looking at the squad that they would be very well suited to a 4-3-3, with Le Celso and Banega the creatives in the midfield, Mascherano/Biglia in a deeper defensive role. Then that feeds the front three of Messi, and two from Aguero/Higuain/Di Maria/Dybala.

How players like Meza and Perez are playing is beyond me.

19 minutes ago, pillred said:

Yes I do, this is the WC not a league 2 end of season game.

I’m sure Croatia will change a few players, but those players will be desperate to impress the manager, they may not get another taste of WC football otherwise.

14 hours ago, Aizoon said:

How sad about Argentina, and what a pity to see the fat cheat crying...

:rofl2br:

In watched some of this match in a bar with an Icelandic friend , it was hilarious ! 

Today I am mostly supporting Iceland and Hörður ( pronounced Herdur by the way ) in an ' English ' bar here in the South of France along with Mrs Karlsdottur .

Can't wait ! 

13 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Completely agree with @Gazred, I've grown to enjoy watching both of them, two different players and two players who will go down as greats.

Ronaldo has shone more at this world cup, but Messi was better at the last, comparing them off of one tournament makes little sense. Both are world class players who deserve to be viewed in their own right, not in comparison with each other

" Going down Greats " being the operative phrase to describe both players. 

:yes:

14 hours ago, Up The City! said:

No, Ronaldo has the ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck and carry his team mates, Messi doesn’t.

this is it for me, I saw a post on twitter saying "if you can choose to have one for only one game then you pick Ronaldo, but if you choose one for a whole season you pick Messi." I believe that Messi is the superior player but in a game where it really matters I am always more confident of Ronaldo coming up with the goods.

25 minutes ago, Super said:

Still dont get why Jesus is playing and not Firmino.

Horses for courses I suppose. Jesus is more of a direct threat, running in behind and getting in proper poaching positions. Firmino is a more creative forward.

The manager I would assume believes he's got what Firmino offers from other players (Coutinho/Neymar) but not what Jesus offers.

Archived