IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

1 minute ago, Chairman Mao said:

Germany were abject, tactically awful, their midfield was a void and Hernandez playing deep caused so many problems. Their over reliance on the wing backs to provide goalscoring opportunities means they were so vunerable on the counter attack. Shambles. 

Looked like England teams have looked all too often in major championships.

8 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Germany were abject, tactically awful, their midfield was a void and Hernandez playing deep caused so many problems. Their over reliance on the wing backs to provide goalscoring opportunities means they were so vunerable on the counter attack. Shambles. 

Add to that the fact they completely underestimated the Mexicans.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Looked like England teams have looked all too often in major championships.

All I want to see from England is players playing like they do for their clubs. It feels like Southgate is telling them just that, and not to bother with making mistakes as long as you try to play your own game. I hope I am right.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

All I want to see from England is players playing like they do for their clubs. It feels like Southgate is telling them just that, and not to bother with making mistakes as long as you try to play your own game. I hope I am right.

Agree PSR.

Also from the outset he has picked players on form and not reputation. It also helps that he is picking quite a few young players he worked with in his previous role with the under 21s?.

The players seem comfortable and relaxed, no doubt helped by the fact that we are going into this Wc with pretty low expectations, and certainly when compared to the last 2/3 WCs.

Just now, downendcity said:

Agree PSR.

Also from the outset he has picked players on form and not reputation. It also helps that he is picking quite a few young players he worked with in his previous role with the under 21s?.

The players seem comfortable and relaxed, no doubt helped by the fact that we are going into this Wc with pretty low expectations, and certainly when compared to the last 2/3 WCs.

Every interview with Southgate he impresses me more. Someone asked him the other day whether Rashford over runs the ball too often, he said "it's his greatest strength and we want him to use it, we told him if he gets tackled 4 or 5 times, it will be the 6th time he breaks into the box and we have a chance". I like that attitude, don't be frightened to play boys.

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I know this is based on very little viewing, but I have never seen enough from Neymar for him to be mentioned in with the other top 4 or 5 current players

Not Brazil's best player.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Most of these top teams are playing with no pace,  and not really pressing. Maybe its the heat. 

Usually get it in the opening games top teams start slow, heat is no excuse for any of them.

Shaqiri is the most selfish player and must be infuriating to play with. Not prepared to work, other than when he's on the ball and .

Could he do it on a wet Tuesday in Stoke? :)

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Shaqiri is the most selfish player and must be infuriating to play with. Not prepared to work, other than when he's on the ball and .

Apparently not, given their relegation.

He couldnt do it on a cold Tuesday in Bristol either (albeit as a sub)

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

It just means that no country has a divine right to win. Hopefully Fife and the tv companies don't start putting pressure on if some of the "better teams" start dropping out?

How does any part of Scotland get a say? :) 

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Don't think Neymar would be arsed!

Love it when Brazil have games like this.

I imagine the commentators have been through their thesaurus for all the over the top adjectives with which to eulagise  Brazil's anticipated poetic and artistic performance, only to have some workmanlike team spoil the occasion.

P.S. Surely Coutinho is the man to take a free kick there.

Archived