IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Garrincha.

This dude was decades ahead of his time.

Other than that, a top post.

We know from your age that you’re too young to have seen Garrincha - as are most of us - but people who were actually around in the 1950s would probably have picked Ferenc Puskas and Hidegkuti. Mighty Magyars now almost forgotten.

Just now, Leveller said:

We know from your age that you’re too young to have seen Garrincha - as are most of us - but people who were actually around in the 1950s would probably have picked Ferenc Puskas and Hidegkuti. Mighty Magyars now almost forgotten.

Yep, much too young to have seen Garrincha, but seen clips of his play.

What he overcame to play at the top level though gives him the edge for me, deformed spine, legs that were bent different ways.

I think, at least in modern times, he is a forgotten Brazillian great.

Am aware of Puskas as an incredible forward (nearly a goal per game over his career!) but know little other than his extraordinary strike rate.

Hidegkuti is a new name to me though.

On topic, great finish Cavani for 2-1.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Can`t see France having too much trouble with either of these TBH.

Im not sure.

Didnt see much of their group games but the bits I did they didnt impress me.

However, today (mostly the second half and mainly Mbappe) they were very impressive.

That 90 minutes proved what I said about Ronaldo in my essay earlier. Wastes opportunities to take on pop shots, misses a large percentage of them, gets petulant when things don't go his way. Very often manages a goal because he takes so many shots it's bound to work on average.

Godin was magnificent.

1 minute ago, Luxo Jr. said:

That 90 minutes proved what I said about Ronaldo in my essay earlier. Wastes opportunities to take on pop shots, misses a large percentage of them, gets petulant when things don't go his way. Very often manages a goal because he takes so many shots it's bound to work on average.

Godin was magnificent.

Ronaldo would have shot when Suarez crossed for Cavanis first.

I may have got this horribly wrong, but just as a minor thought...

Am I right in saying that every team that has beaten England through penalties in a major competition is now out, and the one we have beaten, Spain, is still in?

Not that it means anything really, but makes me feel slightly warmer!

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

I may have got this horribly wrong, but just as a minor thought...

Am I right in saying that every team that has beaten England through penalties in a major competition is now out, and the one we have beaten, Spain, is still in?

Not that it means anything really, but makes me feel slightly warmer!

So England vs Spain Semi Final and we'll get our first penalty loss against them this year?

Archived