IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Very true, but are people happy with how Russia are now going to play for the rest of the competition.

People on here are saying they want to watch fast attacking football, in the same breath they are rejoicing that Russia have just won playing the complete opposite. Hard to comprehend!

Russia's football was dire, I agree with that. But I've hated Spain's style for years...always seemed to me that they use their technical skill to suffocate the opposition, close the game right down and do just enough to win....but as I say I know that's a universally held view and indeed no one in my household agrees with it! I'm glad to see Spain out. Not especially happy to see Russia through but ordinary Russians will be loving it.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

England will never, ever have a better chance than this.

There isn’t a team left in our half of the draw that we wouldn’t be favourites against, with the possible exception of Croatia.

Yeah Croatia are a good team to be fair.

Come on Denmark!

5 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Russia's football was dire, I agree with that. But I've hated Spain's style for years...always seemed to me that they use their technical skill to suffocate the opposition, close the game right down and do just enough to win....but as I say I know that's a universally held view and indeed no one in my household agrees with it! I'm glad to see Spain out. Not especially happy to see Russia through but ordinary Russians will be loving it.

I quite agree with you. They bore me to tears and I dropped off between the 75th to 82nd minutes. If I was head of FIFA I'd bring in a rule which stated that if you haven't created a sniff of an opportunity in a passage of play involving 85 consecutive passes or more without the opposition touching it at all then you get automatically chucked out of the tournament. At least it will make counting the tricky tacky far more exciting.

15 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Very true, but are people happy with how Russia are now going to play for the rest of the competition.

People on here are saying they want to watch fast attacking football, in the same breath they are rejoicing that Russia have just won playing the complete opposite. Hard to comprehend!

It's not the way I'd want to see my team setup but you have to hand it to a team that has a clear gameplan and executes it well. The Spain of old would have picked them apart. They were equally bad against Iran, they seem to really lack that ability that the old Spain had to unlock a defence.

8 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

:blink: oops fair point.

Had you said that England are the only one in our half of the draw to have won the World Cup before then that would've been correct. Jeez, just writing that seems strange when we aren't even halfway through the round of 16 yet!

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's not the way I'd want to see my team setup but you have to hand it to a team that has a clear gameplan and executes it well. The Spain of old would have picked them apart. They were equally bad against Iran, they seem to really lack that ability that the old Spain had to unlock a defence.

Too many world class players retiring at the same time. Would they have played like they did today with Xavi and David Villa in the side?

22 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

What was that? 2 banks of five all match and they win...football is the loser.

Indeed, shithousing of the most negative kind but Spain couldn't break them down.

Disappointing for football but probably good for the tournament as the hosts are still in it. 

22 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

England will never, ever have a better chance than this.

There isn’t a team left in our half of the draw that we wouldn’t be favourites against, with the possible exception of Croatia.

Brazil?

edit- ignore, got mixed up.

32 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

What was that? 2 banks of five all match and they win...football is the loser.

The Russians are famed for their superhuman attrition. Normally when they're under siege  (Napoleon and Hitler)  they hunker down and wait for the Russian winter to come to their salvation. This time they just had to wait for penalties. Football is the winner because it has created heroes this day that generations yet to be born will talk of.

18 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I’m surprised most people are relatively confident that England will beat Colombia.

Got to confess that I'm never relatively confident that England will beat anyone! We can probably all remember immensely frustrating matches against more or less all of the remaining sides...

Archived