IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

45 minutes ago, hodge said:

Kane, Lingard, Trippier, Walker, Young perhaps, wouldn't be surprised to see Stones, Alli and Sterling step up too

Wouldn’t want Alli or Sterling on pens, both quite rash in their style, which doesn’t usually translate well into penalty taking. 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Think France are the most powerful and dangerous team remaining.

Croatia didn't look convincing tonight, but are probably the best team in our half of the draw and Uruguay could be the surprise team of the knock out stages.

Uruguay are a horrible team to play against. Can see them knocking one of the big teams on their half of the draw out.

Apologies for anybody who heard this appeal the other day on Radio Bristol, or if it has appeared on this thread previously. But, I thought it needed to be brought to a wider audience.

A chap has a ticket for tomorrow night's game between England and Columbia along with a flight ticket from Heathrow to Russia. He bought the tickets on a whim some time ago gambling that England would finish runners up in their group and it completely escaped his mind, at the time, that he was due to get married on the same day. So here is an opportunity for someone, if available at short notice, to stand in for him. Her name is Michelle and you need to be at Bristol Registry Office tomorrow at 4.30pm.

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

I wouldn’t like to be the team that upsets the Russians :blink:

Why not?

Uruguay beat them 3-0 last week and there was no trouble. 

So far there has been a great atmosphere in Russia - they’ve been very welcoming hosts and almost all of the Russians I’ve spoken to are expecting their team to get knocked out.

It hasn’t been anything like the bloodbath that some were predicting before the tournament. 

3 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Why not?

Uruguay beat them 3-0 last week and there was no trouble. 

So far there has been a great atmosphere in Russia - they’ve been very welcoming hosts and almost all of the Russians I’ve spoken to are expecting their team to get knocked out.

It hasn’t been anything like the bloodbath that some were predicting before the tournament. 

No it has been a fantastic World Cup from that point of view, but from the reports I’ve seen yesterday they really think they have a chance now. These knock out matches are very different from the group stages, national pride and they are as proud as anyone and of course there are the sheer numbers with them being the home nation. 

Although my post was a bit tongue in cheek we are still bitter about teams who have beaten us in inportant football matches, I doubt if they will be any different.

28 minutes ago, Super said:

Anyone else worried about tomorrow night?!

I am now, mainly because I genuinely think we have an excellent chance of reaching the final.

All of the games are winnable, Colombia - Sweden/Switzerland - Russia/Croatia. Even the most pessimistic England fan can see we have a great chance of reaching the final.

They will all be hard games of course, Colombia tomorrow will be very awkward and are very capable of beating us.

I think we're better than both Sweden and Switzerland and would expect us to beat either.

I believe we're better than Russia, but obviously there's the home nation advantage. Croatia are a tricky side, but I believe man for man we're slightly better and they've just played extra time which might take it's toll.

We really have a great chance - so it would be typical England for us to have a horrible game tomorrow and lose 3-0!

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

No it has been a fantastic World Cup from that point of view, but from the reports I’ve seen yesterday they really think they have a chance now. These knock out matches are very different from the group stages, national pride and they are as proud as anyone and of course there are the sheer numbers with them being the home nation. 

Although my post was a bit tongue in cheek we are still bitter about teams who have beaten us in inportant football matches, I doubt if they will be any different.

Fair enough. I think all six teams left in our half of the draw probably fancy their chances of reaching the final now - and it’s not unrealistic to see Russia squeezing past Croatia and then lying in wait for one of Sweden, Switzerland, Colombia or ourselves in the semi final. I’m sure that would be some occasion for whichever team makes it through - although there are a lot of ‘ifs’ before a Russia v England semi final becomes a realistic possibility (not least the small matter of Colombia tomorrow night). 

That said, I honestly don’t get the sense that the Russians will cause widespread trouble if and when they’re knocked out. 

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I think tomorrow will be our toughest game. South American teams are never easy to break down and our record isn’t great against them.

I think a lot of it hinges on the fitness of James Rodriguez. He's excellent but without him or if he's half fit they're not nearly as effective.

Falcao, Cuadrado and Quintero are all useful, but Rodriguez makes them tick.

Then again, teams have plenty to fear about us. Kane is a fantastic striker and in red hot form. Lingard is a potential match winner. Players like Alli and Sterling have more to give than they've shown so far. Trippier's deliveries from dead balls have been great and also we have pace in Vardy and Rashford off the bench if needed. We've got plenty for opposition teams to be wary of.

My one / biggest concern is that Colombia , Sweden or Switzerland and Russia if we get that far and meet them will all sit behind the ball and let us try and break them down which tends to be when we have the biggest problems

The only side that may possibly come at us in a open(ish) game would be Croatia 

Thy type of the opponents rather than the star quality is likely to be our biggest hurdle (IMHO)

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My one / biggest concern is that Colombia , Sweden or Switzerland and Russia if we get that far and meet them will all sit behind the ball and let us try and break them down which tends to be when we have the biggest problems

The only side that may possibly come at us in a open(ish) game would be Croatia 

Thy type of the opponents rather than the star quality is likely to be our biggest hurdle (IMHO)

My biggest concern is that because we have beaten Tunisia and Panama, all of a sudden everyone thinks we can win the World Cup!!!

15 minutes ago, daored said:

Anyone think there may be another shock with Mexico beating Brazil ?

They were so good against Germany but so poor after. If they can play as they did in the first game....

Costa Rica somehow shut them out for 90 minutes, and based on this WC to date I’ve stopped being surprised at anything!

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

They were so good against Germany but so poor after. If they can play as they did in the first game....

Costa Rica somehow shut them out for 90 minutes, and based on this WC to date I’ve stopped being surprised at anything!

Backed them to qualify at 7/2 which I think isn’t bad odds 

19 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

We are the only team to have played in a World Cup final on our side of the draw. So if we don't make it we potentially have a 1st-time world cup winner.

19 hours ago, handsofclay said:

What about  Sweden 1958?

19 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

:blink: oops fair point.

The only teams in our half of the draw who have ever reached a final did so with an English manager - it’s a little known fact that Alf Ramsey wasn’t the first Englishman to reach a World Cup final. George Raynor beat him to it by 8 years with Sweden. 

At risk of going overboard with (ultimately meaningless) statistics that could be interpreted as a good omen, another one I read today is that in the ten previous world cups where England have reached the knockout stages, the only five teams to knock us out are Germany (out), Portugal (out), Argentina (out), Brazil (other half of the draw) and Uruguay (other half of the draw). 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mexico actually have quite a good record v Brazil.

Brazil obviously more wins overall but Mexico, well Brazil shouldn't take them lightly.

Mexico are a weird team. Second tier South American teams like them with a few quality players but not quite Argentina/Brazil (ie Chile, Uruguay, Mexico, Colombia) can build up a real head of steam and be very awkward to play against. Almost like they can really raise their game far above expectation at the right occasion.. word that comes to mind is zeal.

This is exactly the sort of game a side like Mexico would find that freakish form.

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Mexico are a weird team. Second tier South American teams like them with a few quality players but not quite Argentina/Brazil (ie Chile, Uruguay, Mexico, Colombia) can build up a real head of steam and be very awkward to play against. Almost like they can really raise their game far above expectation at the right occasion.. word that comes to mind is zeal.

This is exactly the sort of game a side like Mexico would find that freakish form.

Agreed. Certainly if Mexico are as quick and cohesive on the break as v Germany, Brazil could have problems- and if they get the final ball right then an upset could well happen!

Would add Peru, their finishing notwithstanding to the list too. Definitely could have got something v France and Denmark.

Archived