IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

2 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I saw Marriott play a number of times for Luton.

Personally I don't get the love in. He always looked a league 2/ league 1 player at best; unlike Andre Gray who always had some spark about him. 

He was not first choice at Luton last season. Hence everyone was happy to take the 400k that Peterborough offered.

Fair play to him on the season he's had (like Bobby for us); but I just can't see him having the impact in the Championship that people seem to think he'll have.

If we were looking lower leagues, if look more at Billy kee at Accrington. Was fantastic for them last year, and would cost a he'll of a lot less.

Quite a bit older than Marriott though I think, and wasn't he the lad who got in trouble  along with Tomlin at the nightclub?

5 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I saw Marriott play a number of times for Luton.

Personally I don't get the love in. He always looked a league 2/ league 1 player at best; unlike Andre Gray who always had some spark about him. 

He was not first choice at Luton last season. Hence everyone was happy to take the 400k that Peterborough offered.

Fair play to him on the season he's had (like Bobby for us); but I just can't see him having the impact in the Championship that people seem to think he'll have.

If we were looking lower leagues, if look more at Billy kee at Accrington. Was fantastic for them last year, and would cost a he'll of a lot less.

Great at unlocking defences.

( take that Negan ! )

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Their forum seem to think he's heading to Sunderland. No idea if there was a flight to the North east last night?

Their owner tweeted the player they'd accepted a 7 figure offer for was from a club above league one, nothing to say its Marriott but if he's leaving his holiday early it would seem like it

15 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Matty Taylor had a similar league one ratio to Marriott and scored far more than him in league 2. £4m is a lot for any lower league player. 

£4m is a lot - but maybe LJ's summer war-chest has had a certain Swedish/Maltese based financial boost?

On 22/05/2018 at 15:22, Woodsy said:

I hope someone has told his wife, Bob

I read somewhere that Litts had given his jacket to a fan after the final day escape, and had left his wallet and wedding ring in there and had to ask on social media if he could get it back :laughcont:

On 03/06/2018 at 01:30, PHILINFRANCE said:

Does anybody know why both teams were wearing black armbands?

6 hours ago, Negan said:

Well Marriott posted on his Twitter last night from Malaga he had a late flight, he’s cut his holiday short to come and speak to someone. Checking the Bristol airport times there was a flight from Malaga landing at 1:30 this morning. This could be  on! 

I for one would love him here. To many times we’ve turned our noses up at lower league players because they are to much of a risk and they end up doing well. If we lose Reid he’d be a perfect replacement. We spent over 5 million on an unknown Diedhiou, not sure why everyone is so opposed to spending less on a younger striker whose just had an amazing season. If he repeats it then we’ve got another 15 million pound player on our hands. 

If we do we will have blown a few million - should have signed him when he was at Luton as a £400k punt / development - when we signed Hinds and Bakinson (Who might prove ok) 

one look told you he was a finisher 

I wouldn’t spend 5/6 m on him at this point - we missed the value for money boat on several occasions with this one

6 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Can he play up front on his own with Diedhiou out for the first 6?

No , not really - he’s a finisher  - think Adam Le Fondre

1 hour ago, Bs4Red said:

Not what I’ve been told mate, will be interesting to see either way I think Marriot coming here is a goer

Was Da Silva-Lopez they accepted it for, I was wrong to assume Maddison but didn't think they had anyone else that'd command a 7 figure fee.

33 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Was Da Silva-Lopez they accepted it for, I was wrong to assume Maddison but didn't think they had anyone else that'd command a 7 figure fee.

Yeah in fairness I’m surprised it’s DSL but as said before Marriot is deffo a goer it’s whether we can beat everyone else to his signature. 100% have been talks

4 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I'd like him as well but not for the supposed £4-5m fee that's been thrown around. 

A goalscorer who has scored over 60 goals in 2  seasons . Lg1 lg2 . 4 - 5 million isn’t a lot for a striker with those stats . Who would you like to see 4-5 million spent on . Out of interest . A young 23 year old with bags of potential or value possibly. Or ?

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

A goalscorer who has scored over 60 goals in 2  seasons . Lg1 lg2 . 4 - 5 million isn’t a lot for a striker with those stats . Who would you like to see 4-5 million spent on . Out of interest . A young 23 year old with bags of potential or value possibly. Or ?

I'd rather use that money to bring in the likes of Harry Wilson or Mason Mount on loan. I feel like we lack goals in the midfield. 

9 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I'd rather use that money to bring in the likes of Harry Wilson or Mason Mount on loan. I feel like we lack goals in the midfield. 

So you would rather use 4/5 million on 1or 2 loans . Dead money. Rather than spend money on a player who could be an investment. Big no from me . 

4 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Matty Taylor had a similar league one ratio to Marriott and scored far more than him in league 2. £4m is a lot for any lower league player. 

Taylor 27 goals in 46 games

Marriott 27 goals in 44 games. Both in L1. Main difference being I suppose that Marriott is 23 whereas Taylor was 26.

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

We're fairly close then? What are the rest of the bookies saying, I can't look cause I'm at work.

Ipswich being in the discussion is a bit of a joke mind.

He started his career at Ipswich which is probably why they're on there.

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Taylor 27 goals in 46 games

Marriott 27 goals in 44 games. Both in L1. Main difference being I suppose that Marriott is 23 whereas Taylor was 26.

He started his career at Ipswich which is probably why they're on there.

Taylor didn't play a whole season in League one. He got 16 in 27 for Rovers before he joined us.

12 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Taylor didn't play a whole season in League one. He got 16 in 27 for Rovers before he joined us.

Sorry, you're right 27 goals from 46 games was his last season in L2.

Still, I'm not sure it helps your point as whilst it was a decent goals/games ratio it was obviously only 27 games versus 44 so hard to say if he'd have matched it over the course of the season. Agree, they're similar enough records either way.

1 hour ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I'd like him as well but not for the supposed £4-5m fee that's been thrown around. 

How much would you be asking for Reid after his one good season from prem clubs? How much would you ask had he had the same season in L1? Marriott is also a couple years younger. The fee sounds about right.

This comes with the territory I am afraid. Afobe types cost 12m and 35k a week. Diony and Fam types cost 5-6m up front and say 15-20k a week. Marriott 4-5m and probably in the 10-15k a week range. Any transfer is risky and we are at the disadvantage of being a 2nd division club in england where most targets are on everyone’s else radar and clubs expect decent sums in return. 

Just seen a Nottingham Forest page tweet this. Makes for good reading. 

Stats in all comps. whilst at Peterborough United:

Britt Assombalonga 33 goals 3 assists 139 mins per goal / assist

Jack Marriott 33 goals 5 assists 129 mins per goal / assist

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@BobBobSuperBob I know you’ve seen a fair bit of him, I’ve only seen highlights type stuff.  From that he reminds me of Pitman in the way he finishes?  Is that accurate?  What’s the rest of his game like....or is it irrelevant because he’s a finisher?

Works harder than Pitman Dave from what I’ve seen but ultimately I’d Class him as a penalty box player , a second striker to play alongside another

As I said reminds me of Adam Le Fondre 

I havnt seen lots of him really but kept an eye on him as from the first time I saw a goal of his he just looked a natural finisher 

Archived