IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

8 hours ago, mozo said:

He won't see much defending like that in the Championship, as Matty found, but natural poachers are hard to come by so well worth signing.

Only when we play attack vs defence in training! :)

Let's be honest with the speed of our media department during last year's window when Twitter had people taking photos with new signings hours before we announced it there is every chance he's signed, met everyone, picked his number, gone on holiday and come back, trained twice, moved to Bristol and met a nice Bristolian girl before they announce it! 

6 minutes ago, Alex#40 said:

Let's be honest with the speed of our media department during last year's window when Twitter had people taking photos with new signings hours before we announced it there is every chance he's signed, met everyone, picked his number, gone on holiday and come back, trained twice, moved to Bristol and met a nice Bristolian girl before they announce it! 

don't forget had lunch with Alan Curbishley at the Avon Gorge Hotel

Personally would understand this. Both Luton and Peterborough good producers of good footballers who get well coached and schooled. Done well in League 2 for Luton and strong first season in League One ad knows how to score. Looks a more complete striker to me than Bobby (I personally think Bobby is best as an attacking midfielder but also has a poachers instinct), and at 23, could improve past him. If he had a 15-20 goal season in the Championship, under a 3/4 year contract and only 24 I would expect him to be worth in the region of 7-10m so as a business deal, it makes sense. We could buy him for 4.5m, and sell Bobby for 6m, have a decent replacement who is a more all round striker, and is younger and open to improve past Bobby and have some spare change in the bank from the sale of Bobby.

I wouldn't be disappointed with this signing at all.

Am I the only one who thinks this signing goes against everything that the club has said about signings over the last few years?

This is not us unearthing a relatively cheap gem from the lower leagues or abroad ala COD, Magnussen, Moore.  Nor is this us signing lesser known but more experienced players like Kodjia or Diedhiou.

whether you agree with those signings or not, the reasoning was clear and fitted with what the club said was our strategy

Marriott looks like us paying over the odds for someone in my opinion. Something we said we wouldnt do.

Bristol City have emerged as favourites to sign Peterborough United striker Jack Marriott. Bookmaker Bet Victor stopped taking bets on Marriott’s next destination after a flurry of wagers on the 23 year-old moving to Ashton Gate. Dwight Gayle is Posh's record sale. Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony was asked on social media last night (June 5) about reports of Marriott joining City for £4.5 million and he replied, mischievously: “That figure is incorrect as is (the case on) most of these rumour sites.” One report has suggested City have offered striker Matty Taylor as part-exchange for Marriott. City manager Lee Johnson said recently: “It could be that we can’t compete with Premier League finances. You look at players like Marriott at Peterborough and you are talking four or five million for a player in the Championship.” Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday have also been linked with Marriott. Posh are demanding a fee in excess of the club record £6 million Crystal Palace paid for Dwight Gayle in July, 2013. Posh paid Luton Town just £450,000 for Marriott last summer, but the Hatters are understood to have inserted a significant sell-on clause around the 20% mark.

Read more at: https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/latest-news-new-favourites-to-sign-peterborough-united-striker-jack-marriott-1-8523197 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Bristol City have emerged as favourites to sign Peterborough United striker Jack Marriott. Bookmaker Bet Victor stopped taking bets on Marriott’s next destination after a flurry of wagers on the 23 year-old moving to Ashton Gate. Dwight Gayle is Posh's record sale. Posh chairman Darragh MacAnthony was asked on social media last night (June 5) about reports of Marriott joining City for £4.5 million and he replied, mischievously: “That figure is incorrect as is (the case on) most of these rumour sites.” One report has suggested City have offered striker Matty Taylor as part-exchange for Marriott. City manager Lee Johnson said recently: “It could be that we can’t compete with Premier League finances. You look at players like Marriott at Peterborough and you are talking four or five million for a player in the Championship.” Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday have also been linked with Marriott. Posh are demanding a fee in excess of the club record £6 million Crystal Palace paid for Dwight Gayle in July, 2013. Posh paid Luton Town just £450,000 for Marriott last summer, but the Hatters are understood to have inserted a significant sell-on clause around the 20% mark.

Read more at: https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/latest-news-new-favourites-to-sign-peterborough-united-striker-jack-marriott-1-8523197 

Corrrrrrrrr.

I'm actually quite excited. Could end up with the next Gayle, Gray or Assombalonga. They've not done too badly have they?

17 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Am I the only one who thinks this signing goes against everything that the club has said about signings over the last few years?

This is not us unearthing a relatively cheap gem from the lower leagues or abroad ala COD, Magnussen, Moore.  Nor is this us signing lesser known but more experienced players like Kodjia or Diedhiou.

whether you agree with those signings or not, the reasoning was clear and fitted with what the club said was our strategy

Marriott looks like us paying over the odds for someone in my opinion. Something we said we wouldnt do.

When you consider that Wolves are apparently bidding 35m for a right back and Fulham 25m for a midfield player and Villa quoting 40m for Grealish can 4.5m on a youngish goalscorer from a league below really be consider over the odds? I know we are no longer competing with the first two (for this season anyway) but I would say this transfer would be less than the Nicky Maynard transfer from 10 years ago (taking into account the rate of inflation transfers have increased by in that time) and that didn't turn out too bad

34 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Is it really over the odds though? The market is hugely inflated in this country  

If Kodjia (20+ at championship level) - two years ago - is worth £15m then is £5-£6m for the best end of L1 over the odds?

Goalscorers cost a lot more money than other positions. 

Is £400k over the odds for a 2 bed flat? You’d say so of course but in the context of the market it’s just the going rate. 

As long as we’re recouping market rate for the players that move on it’s all relative. 

I would say signing a proven L1 goal scorer doesn’t go against the grain of what we said we’d do at all. It’s the sort of signing you’d expect a club of our stature to make as opposed to paying 2 or 3 times that for an established Championship striker 

50 minutes ago, RedDave said:

4.5m for a 20 goal a season striker, if he does the same in the Championship he's worth twice that, so for me definitely doesn't go against the clubs signing procedure. Paying 12m for Afobe would !

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Is it really over the odds though? The market is hugely inflated in this country  

If Kodjia (20+ at championship level) - two years ago - is worth £15m then is £5-£6m for the best end of L1 over the odds?

Goalscorers cost a lot more money than other positions. 

Is £400k over the odds for a 2 bed flat? You’d say so of course but in the context of the market it’s just the going rate. 

As long as we’re recouping market rate for the players that move on it’s all relative. 

I would say signing a proven L1 goal scorer doesn’t go against the grain of what we said we’d do at all. It’s the sort of signing you’d expect a club of our stature to make as opposed to paying 2 or 3 times that for an established Championship striker 

And it's been suggested that Villa want £40M for Grealish!!! Put's that possible fee into perspective in a crazy market!

7 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

And it's been suggested that Villa want £40M for Grealish!!! Put's that possible fee into perspective in a crazy market!

'Want doesn't get' and they'd be lucky to get 15m for Grealish imo.

110 career apps. in 5 seasons, more than half of them in the Championship, plus off field shenanigans does not equal a 40m player!! 

I think people on here are still judging this rumour, Diedhiou's signing and others we've made recently by the value of money in English football 5 or 10 years ago. There's so much money in English football, baulking at a £4.5 million fee for a young striker scoring for fun in a lower league will unfortunately get us nowhere.

As I've said before, why should we care about how much we spend on a player, it doesn't affect us? Sure, it would be nice to know we're making shrewd signings just to know that the club's being run intelligently, but (within reason) I couldn't care less what the figure is if we're signing the top scorer from the League below us, young, two-footed and a poacher, I'm just excited that this could happen.

1 minute ago, devoncider said:

Would Mings be 'over the moon' if it was us, rather than say Forest or someone else?

Question can go either way really.

Would Mings be over the moon if it was Forest, rather than someone else?

Mings has no playing history at any of the teams Marriott is linked with, but is from Bath and played for non-league teams in our local area.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

'Want doesn't get' and they'd be lucky to get 15m for Grealish imo.

110 career apps. in 5 seasons, more than half of them in the Championship, plus off field shenanigans does not equal a 40m player!! 

young and english does

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

before last season 200k, after last season 12m, but have to accept half due to him being in the last year of his contract

I think people forget how many external factors / situations etc affect a transfer deal. So many factors beyond the sheer ability of the player. 

How much do the selling club want to keep him? How much did they pay? Financial situation of buying club? Squad depth of buying club? Contract? Player attitude to transfer? Pulling power/reputation of buying club vs selling club? Agents and their agenda?

So many variables that comparing Grealish and Reid is impossible. Grealish is obviously going to command more. 

Archived