IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think people forget how many external factors / situations etc affect a transfer deal. So many factors beyond the sheer ability of the player. 

How much do the selling club want to keep him? How much did they pay? Financial situation of buying club? Squad depth of buying club? Contract? Player attitude to transfer? Pulling power/reputation of buying club vs selling club? Agents and their agenda?

So many variables that comparing Grealish and Reid is impossible. Grealish is obviously going to command more. 

the play in different positions for a start

13 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Would Mings be 'over the moon' if it was us, rather than say Forest or someone else?

Just think he respects him for his journey. Not sure if Mings has any affiliation with us but as other people have said he’s played for local teams and went to a secondary school in Wiltshire

19 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Would Mings be 'over the moon' if it was us, rather than say Forest or someone else?

I think so, yes. Seeing as he's from Bath then played at Chippenham. He has no connection to any northern clubs as far as I know. I assume he knows Marriott from his Ipswich days...

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Am I the only one who thinks this signing goes against everything that the club has said about signings over the last few years?

This is not us unearthing a relatively cheap gem from the lower leagues or abroad ala COD, Magnussen, Moore.  Nor is this us signing lesser known but more experienced players like Kodjia or Diedhiou.

whether you agree with those signings or not, the reasoning was clear and fitted with what the club said was our strategy

Marriott looks like us paying over the odds for someone in my opinion. Something we said we wouldnt do.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes.

It’s interesting reading this - and the supporters proving again why we couldn’t collectively organise a piss up in a brewery.

Only a day or two ago on the Magnussen thread, @Olé was posting, with a lot of likes, that we should spend more one great league one player than three £2m punts from Scandinavia.

As we look set to do that, seems the club can’t win - funny old business.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Why is everyone still quoting the fee as £4.5m when MacAnthony has specifically said it isn't that?!

It sounds like it's going to be £6m upwards and a club record signing.

Only if we take MacAnthony's word at face value. No reason to believe the BP over him though. As usual, we'll never truly know as it would be 'undisclosed'.

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think people forget how many external factors / situations etc affect a transfer deal. So many factors beyond the sheer ability of the player. 

How much do the selling club want to keep him? How much did they pay? Financial situation of buying club? Squad depth of buying club? Contract? Player attitude to transfer? Pulling power/reputation of buying club vs selling club? Agents and their agenda?

So many variables that comparing Grealish and Reid is impossible. Grealish is obviously going to command more. 

Length of contract is obviously a big factor - no idea how long Grealish's is - but all things being equal is Grealish really a much more valuable player than Reid? His 3 Championship goals against Bobby's 19?

Does he produce so many extra assists that the sheer number override the difference in goals?

Apart from the contract length (if vastly different) plus his name and reputation ( off field not at all good btw) I really don't see why Grealish could be valued at 6- 7x Bobby Reid.

Surely Villa's well publicised desperation for money should bring Grealish's fee down if anything?

2 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Only if we take MacAnthony's word at face value. No reason to believe the BP over him though. As usual, we'll never truly know as it would be 'undisclosed'.

Not sure it will.

A fee is only undisclosed if both clubs agree not to disclose it.

MacAnthony has said he believes all transfer fees should be announced.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

How long has Grealish got on his contract?

If Grealish (

Length of contract is obviously a big factor - no idea how long Grealish's is - but all things being equal is Grealish really a much more valuable player than Reid? His 3 Championship goals against Bobby's 19?

Does he produce so many extra assists that the sheer number override the difference in goals?

Apart from the contract length (if vastly different) plus his name and reputation ( off field not at all good btw) I really don't see why Grealish could be valued at 6- 7x Bobby Reid.

Surely Villa's well publicised desperation for money should bring Grealish's fee down if anything?

There’s no way he’d be 6-7x Reid but reputation does count, Villa and Grealish are much bigger ‘names’ than BCFC and Reid. 

Having said that Villa are up shit creek and the whole world knows it so that’ll hardly strengthen their position. 

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not sure it will.

Doesn't seem to be practising that though...

Forrester to Abderdeen: undisclosed https://www.theposh.com/news/2018/june/forrester-makes-move-to-aberdeen/

Da Silva Lopes to Wigan: undisclosed https://www.theposh.com/news/2018/june/da-silva-lopes-joins-wigan-athletic/

Godden to Posh: undisclosed https://www.theposh.com/news/2018/june/posh-seal-godden-signing/

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think it’s way too simple to judge a player on goals or assists, or stats alone, surely you’d agree with that.

The Aston Villa team that got to the play-off final ticked because of him.

Having watched the play-off final live, and seen him and Villa several times this season he is a class above this division.

Everything Villa does goes through him. They look to give him the ball at every opportunity, deep or high up, because he is the player to skip past someone like they’re not there and create that movement and space to build from. He was the best player on the pitch in that game, and that’s with the likes of Cairney and Sess on too. 

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Doesn't seem to be practising that though...

Forrester to Abderdeen: undisclosed https://www.theposh.com/news/2018/june/forrester-makes-move-to-aberdeen/

Da Silva Lopes to Wigan: undisclosed https://www.theposh.com/news/2018/june/da-silva-lopes-joins-wigan-athletic/

Godden to Posh: undisclosed https://www.theposh.com/news/2018/june/posh-seal-godden-signing/

he can't announce it if both clubs don't agree to release it publicly, he'd get into a world of trouble breaking an agreement  

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

the play in different positions for a start

Grealish is an attacking midfielder, so, like Bobby, will mainly be judged on assists and goals.

Bobby actually spends a fair amount of time in a similar position to Grealish's stated position over a season.

Grealish more of a dribbler, an eye catcher, but not as consistent, and nothing like as much as a result changer.

Take away the name and the club and for all round effectiveness Bobby's stats show he should be valued at least as highly imo.

I'd put them both at 15m and then it's only contract length that dictates the final fee actually paid.

16 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

It’s interesting reading this - and the supporters proving again why we couldn’t collectively organise a piss up in a brewery.

Only a day or two ago on the Magnussen thread, @Olé was posting, with a lot of likes, that we should spend more one great league one player than three £2m punts from Scandinavia.

As we look set to do that, seems the club can’t win - funny old business.

It does amaze me @Alessandro that EVERY single post on OTIB you take this holier than tho approach with your replies

I assume you do realise people are allowed a different opinion to your own?

Or do you get off on trying to constantly put your fellow supporters down?

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think it’s way too simple to judge a player on goals or assists, or stats alone, surely you’d agree with that.

The Aston Villa team that got to the play-off final ticked because of him.

Having watched the play-off final live, and seen him and Villa several times this season he is a class above this division.

Everything Villa does goes through him. They look to give him the ball at every opportunity, deep or high up, because he is the player to skip past someone like they’re not there and create that movement and space to build from. He was the best player on the pitch in that game, and that’s with the likes of Cairney and Sess on too. 

Stats show Grealish only actually started 19 games for Villa this season so I feel you're exaggerating his influence.

You're going on name and reputation plus a few games you've seen ( where I concede he can appear outstanding) but for consistency over a season, and all round contribution to results, BR beats him hands down.

1 hour ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Peterborough asking in excess of £6m for him so would expect substantially more for Reid. If Matty Taylor is part of the deal it could work for both sides, depending how much Taylor’s value is. We don’t want to ‘do a Rovers’ and give him away for nothing.

Surely Posh will owe us about £4m, if we let them have Taylor as part of the deal. :whistle:

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not sure it will.

He would do because it shows what a great negotiater he is and helps ease the pain for the Posh supporters.

Most clubs prefer discretion for obvious reasons.

5 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

It does amaze me @Alessandro that EVERY single post on OTIB you take this holier than tho approach with your replies

I assume you do realise people are allowed a different opinion to your own?

Or do you get off on trying to constantly put your fellow supporters down?

Love this! It doesn’t help when I’m given so much ammunition! 

No I’m joking. All I ever do is offer my opinion but I’m not afraid to point out the inconsistencies or cut through what I see as bullshit - if that upsets people or makes me holier than thou in your opinion, I couldn’t care less!

And talking of bullshit.....“EVERY” post is just outright wrong, so you’re kind of proving my point for me.

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Stats show Grealish only actually started 19 games for Villa this season so I feel you're exaggerating his influence.

You're going on name and reputation plus a few games you've seen ( where I concede he can appear outstanding) but for consistency over a season, and all round contribution to results, BR beats him hands down.

Very hard to objectively compare someone playing as an out and out striker vs a playmaker. 

Grealish made twice as many key passes per minute on the pitch than Bobby and almost double the assists per minute. As you’d expect from a playmaker vs a striker really, whereas Bobby score a goal 3 times as often. 

Grealish also wins his team a very high number of free kicks in dangerous positions due to his technical ability/footwork. He’s also 3 years his junior which when coupled with the fact that he’s a bigger name at a bigger club, will put his fee above BR, rightly or wrongly. 

All else being equal, I’d expect him to go for up to 50% more than Bobby. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Doesn’t really work like that, players won’t say anything that could jeorpadise any deal.

The bigger question is whether @Robbored would believe it if he did!

13 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

He’ll never sign if one of us starts beating him for info.

I don't totally agree with your hypothesis ;

Well run Championship club 

Good improved salary 

Nice signing on fee 

Don't have to be around DM anymore .

against 

" Just a heads up Mr Marriott could you confirm that you've signed for Bristol City ? "

That's a real deal breaker isn't it ? 

Archived