IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

1 minute ago, nebristolred said:

Already posted, but I'm near-certain he was in Bristol on the weekend, hence why the Tweet about him flying back from holidays confused me, unless he was out there very briefly indeed. Fee more likely to be around the £6.5m mark than £4.5m.

Why do you think that? What was he in Bristol for? 

40 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Love this! It doesn’t help when I’m given so much ammunition! 

No I’m joking. All I ever do is offer my opinion but I’m not afraid to point out the inconsistencies or cut through what I see as bullshit - if that upsets people or makes me holier than thou in your opinion, I couldn’t care less!

And talking of bullshit.....“EVERY” post is just outright wrong, so you’re kind of proving my point for me.

But all you did was point out that different people have different opinions. Hardly ammunition, an inconsistancy or bullsh!t. Do you think everyone should have the same opinion? Or are you suggesting the same people are having opposing views?

Not sure about his one at all

Had a great season last year and I’ve said for some time he looks a goalscorer but a lot of money if it doesn’t work out and I feel sick that we didn’t spend 200-300 k on him as (A genuine) ‘one to develop’ whilst he was nipping his first few at Luton

Instead we blew over £2m on Engvall

:grr:

I see Peterborough have already replaced him with the lad from Stevenage who got a fair few in L2 last year

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure about his one at all

Had a great season last year and I’ve said for some time he looks a goalscorer but a lot of money if it doesn’t work out and I feel sick that we didn’t spend 200-300 k on him as (A genuine) ‘one to develop’ whilst he was nipping his first few at Luton

Instead we blew over £2m on Engvall

:grr:

I see Peterborough have already replaced him with the lad from Stevenage who got a fair few in L2 last year

he scored 14 in 40 in his first season and 8 in 39 on his second, he hardly set the world alight then, so I can understand why we didn't take a punt

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I don't totally agree with your hypothesis ;

Well run Championship club 

Good improved salary 

Nice signing on fee 

Don't have to be around DM anymore .

against 

" Just a heads up Mr Marriott could you confirm that you've signed for Bristol City ? "

That's a real deal breaker isn't it ? 

Whoosh!

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Very hard to objectively compare someone playing as an out and out striker vs a playmaker. 

Grealish made twice as many key passes per minute on the pitch than Bobby and almost double the assists per minute. As you’d expect from a playmaker vs a striker really, whereas Bobby score a goal 3 times as often. 

Grealish also wins his team a very high number of free kicks in dangerous positions due to his technical ability/footwork. He’s also 3 years his junior which when coupled with the fact that he’s a bigger name at a bigger club, will put his fee above BR, rightly or wrongly. 

All else being equal, I’d expect him to go for up to 50% more than Bobby. 

The bigger question is whether @Robbored would believe it if he did!

He would, but only if it is on the OS! 

1 hour ago, Jcolebristol said:

With that many second-half goals, we may be able to avoid our 3-3 implosions! 

It's certainly very 2nd half heavy. Maybe it's the way Posh have been playing?

He certainly knows how too finish to be fair to the kid.

27 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he scored 14 in 40 in his first season and 8 in 39 on his second, he hardly set the world alight then, so I can understand why we didn't take a punt

This illustrates the risk of signing him. Is he player who has developed into a good striker or is he a one season wonder?

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This illustrates the risk of signing him. Is he player who has developed into a good striker or is he a one season wonder?

Will bigger clubs be thinking the same about Bobby Reid?

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Already posted, but I'm near-certain he was in Bristol on the weekend, hence why the Tweet about him flying back from holidays confused me, unless he was out there very briefly indeed. Fee more likely to be around the £6.5m mark than £4.5m.

He's still in Spain.

58 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Is he better than Matty Taylor ? 

He's certainly quicker, and that seems to be the key in stepping up. None of Gregory, Bradshaw, Taylor etc have been prolific in this league when stepping up whereas Afobe, Assombalonga etc all have.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

But viewing his goals he looked like a  finisher even before he got a place at Luton So was exactly the sort of £2-300k  punt we should have made

When scouting / recruiting you have to be able to see potential that can be polished 

‘Spotting’ a player once they’ve made their name anyone can do

I was surprised no one moved in before Peterborough did and they only paid £400k

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

But viewing his goals he looked like a  finisher even before he got a place at Luton So was exactly the sort of £2-300k  punt we should have made

When scouting / recruiting you have to be able to see potential that can be polished 

‘Spotting’ a player once they’ve made their name anyone can do

I was surprised no one moved in before Peterborough did and they only paid £400k

Certainly seems like it’s going to be very good business for Posh. But I guess ultimately we can’t sign them all - I know it feels like we’re the only club that lets them ‘get away’ but I’m sure plenty of other clubs would look at say Pack and Flint and say similar whilst pointing to players who haven’t worked out for them. 

It was also made very clear in Jan that as fans we expect proven signings rather than rough dismonds/future prospects, and we’re certainly not going to shell out £15m for proven championship players so I guess this is the natural level below for us to look to recruit from if we want a player who we feel can come straight in and play and be better than what we have. 

1 minute ago, milo1111 said:

10-15 would be my guess

If he’d not have turned down an English loan move we may have found out what he was capable of!

Burnley bought up all the best championship talent when they went up and still do. Not always cheap but effective. I would not mind at all if we did similar. Marriott and Adelakun would be good starts. 

Also, I would like to see us take a few more punts from the L2 market. Some good players who dropped down there and just need some TLC. We can’t always do it but a couple at 500k or less would probably benefit us in the long run

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Certainly seems like it’s going to be very good business for Posh. But I guess ultimately we can’t sign them all - I know it feels like we’re the only club that lets them ‘get away’ but I’m sure plenty of other clubs would look at say Pack and Flint and say similar whilst pointing to players who haven’t worked out for them. 

It was also made very clear in Jan that as fans we expect proven signings rather than rough dismonds/future prospects, and we’re certainly not going to shell out £15m for proven championship players so I guess this is the natural level below for us to look to recruit from if we want a player who we feel can come straight in and play and be better than what we have. 

Agree but he was available for peanuts when we were recruiting for the future and at a Club that we signed two from (At a price similar to or more than Marriot would have cost) and Marriot even scored against us in the Carabao Cup !

Those things make this one very frustrating 

His finish against us was tidy and shouted ‘Finisher’ - and at £209k was not even a gamble and one we could have got our money back on even if he didn’t make it here

If we are going to be ‘sustainable’ IMHO we need to mix punts and proven

Atm we seem to be paying fat more than punt prices with very mixed success

Even the lad at Stevenage that Posh have just signed is the sort you could buy , loan out next season and probably at worst get your money back if he doesn’t make it here

Doing the same with Engvall , Elliasson is (atm) looking only a hope

From a posh fan:

Really quick, doesn't stop running, someone who will run in behind, but can also hold the ball up. He missed quite a lot of one on one's for us, but still scored over 30 goals last season. I think he's better with a strike partner, but played a lot as a lone striker. I'm sure he'll get 15+ goals if he plays regularly

Sounds a bit like Baldock to me, a player who we’ve never replaced and who we’ve missed ever since. 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

From a posh fan:

Really quick, doesn't stop running, someone who will run in behind, but can also hold the ball up. He missed quite a lot of one on one's for us, but still scored over 30 goals last season. I think he's better with a strike partner, but played a lot as a lone striker. I'm sure he'll get 15+ goals if he plays regularly

Sounds a bit like Baldock to me, a player who we’ve never replaced and who we’ve missed ever since. 

Sounds almost identical to Taylor to me......bar the 'quick' bit

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

From a posh fan:

Sounds like Bobby Reid TBH! 

19 hours ago, cityal said:

He seems like a decent all round striker from that footage, albeit at a lower level than championship (he even bagged a hatrick against the worlds sixth richest team!) - one thing I noticed on the video is the number of those goals he scores with the first touch and often off balance too. This is a good sign imo, as no matter what level he plays at being able to get the shot away early will make it harder for the goalkeeper and defence than trying to take a few touches.

He also scored quite a few one on ones - could we finally have found a player that is actually clinical in those situations?  (or are we not being shown the six misses that it took to score one like most of our recent strikers  :fear: )

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

From a posh fan:

Oh dear - I jinxed it! :facepalm:

Just goes to show the Youtube highlights video is never the whole story - On that video he looks good in one on ones often beating the on rushing keeper and chipping it over him

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

From a posh fan:

Haven't we had Kodjia, Abraham and Reid since?

Archived