IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

1 minute ago, JasonM88 said:

Dave Richards was part of our promotion winning squad? Would you have him back to replace Franky? 

No because he wouldn’t improve us. And I thought it went without saying that I meant promotion from the Championship!

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Meanwhile he’s been part of a promotion winning squad while we’ve done nothing. Would improve our team without a shadow of a doubt. 

Pascal Cygan won the Premier League, doesn't make him a world beater.

In the 2016/17 season he played 29 games and scored 5. 

For comparison, this year Matty Taylor played 22, largely off the bench too, and scored 3. 

Think I'd rather take my chances elsewhere to be honest. Much better value about.

Just now, ZiderEyed said:

In the 2016/17 season he played 29 games and scored 5. 

For comparison, this year Matty Taylor played 22, largely off the bench too, and scored 3. 

Think I'd rather take my chances elsewhere to be honest. Much better value about.

FWIW I’m not saying we should bring him back. Simply that we’ve never had a direct replacement for him. If you ever watched him off the ball - which clearly few did - what he brings to his team is exceptional. 

Sidwell’s ‘firework’ goal vs ROD all started because of Baldock’s off the ball harrying. Taylor is the closest we’ve got to a direct replacement and as much as I like MT Baldock is the better player by far. 

8 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Do we need to wait for the brand manager to be appointed before we reveal him? What if the announcement is off message?  

Doubt it. 

Your personal account manager should be able to give you updates! :facepalm:

“Posh director of football Barry Fry delivered the news to the Peterborough Telegraph from the Football League chairman’s conference in Portugal.

He also gave the latest lowdown on the future of Posh striker Jack Marriott, suggesting the 33-goal striker could yet stay at the ABAX Stadium.

Bookmakers suspended betting on Marriott’s destination this week after receiving a flurry of wagers on Championship clubs Bristol City and Nottingham Forest, but Fry insists they have acted hastily. 

“Eight clubs are chasing Jack, but I still haven’t received a bid worthy of taking to the board of directors,” Fry said. 

“It’s not a problem. We are prepared to keep Jack if we don’t get a good enough offer. We are prepared to sell him, but not because we have to for financial reasons.”

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/breaking-news-penny-to-make-premier-league-move-and-the-latest-on-peterborough-united-star-jack-marriott-1-8524595

31 minutes ago, It’sSmiittthhh said:

“Posh director of football Barry Fry delivered the news to the Peterborough Telegraph from the Football League chairman’s conference in Portugal.

He also gave the latest lowdown on the future of Posh striker Jack Marriott, suggesting the 33-goal striker could yet stay at the ABAX Stadium.

Bookmakers suspended betting on Marriott’s destination this week after receiving a flurry of wagers on Championship clubs Bristol City and Nottingham Forest, but Fry insists they have acted hastily. 

“Eight clubs are chasing Jack, but I still haven’t received a bid worthy of taking to the board of directors,” Fry said. 

“It’s not a problem. We are prepared to keep Jack if we don’t get a good enough offer. We are prepared to sell him, but not because we have to for financial reasons.”

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/breaking-news-penny-to-make-premier-league-move-and-the-latest-on-peterborough-united-star-jack-marriott-1-8524595

That would appear to be that then !

44 minutes ago, It’sSmiittthhh said:

Would be funny if that's true however one suspects no-one has told Bazza that the cat has been let out of the bag.

Mings (ex-Ipswich) and Ipswich physio tweets would suggest there's been a leak in Suffolk!

From the info/evidence already out there it would appear that Marriott has either signed or agreed a deal at least with one of the chasing clubs, if not more.

Barry Fry having always been a bit of a market trader has probably been told to keep it under wraps or is disappointed with the amount and trying to bring someone else in last minute to make a better offer.

14 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yeah, because Barry Fry has never been economical with the truth...

NB I have absolutely no evidence to contradict BF, just trust what he says less than the guy I bought my first car from (I had to scrap it after 18 months and £1200 of work to the clutch) 

4 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

From the info/evidence already out there it would appear that Marriott has either signed or agreed a deal at least with one of the chasing clubs, if not more.

Barry Fry having always been a bit of a market trader has probably been told to keep it under wraps or is disappointed with the amount and trying to bring someone else in last minute to make a better offer.

Barry Fry will want a bigger fee, because he gets a cut.

17 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

It's not unknown nowadays for clubs to allow players and agents to talk to clubs if they are looking to sale. There is every chance that we are in negotiations with Peterborough over a fee or deal, but we have already agreed terms with the player / players agent. Player has told his friends and so on, and it's just down to the clubs to iron out the best deal. So we may have effectively agreed terms with the player and it's a goer, but at present we haven't met a suitable valuation, which means one of three things will happen, we decline to increase our offer and walk away, in which case the player may hand in a transfer request, we meet Peterborough's demands, or there's still room for negotiation. Whatever happens unless it's a transfer record, which it very well could be, it's more than likely any agreement will go down as undisclosed.  

IF it IS us, no doubt the fee will be 'undisclosed' allowing Posh to claim whatever deal they want. However, I can't believe we would smash our transfer record and not mention the fact that we had done so meaning it would be less than we paid for Fammy if it IS 'undisclosed'. 

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

David May is always my go to guy for this argument.

Averages something like 10 games a season over 9 years at Utd, wins 2 Prem titles, 2 FA Cups and the Champions League.

Work smart, not hard people.

20 hours ago, mozo said:

He won't see much defending like that in the Championship, as Matty found, but natural poachers are hard to come by so well worth signing.

I never saw Taylor as a poacher.  Thought he scored all different types of goals, scored in streaks and wasn’t clinical.  Always felt he’d swing a foot at one from 25 yards for us, and that would kick-start a streak.

19 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree

And would be my major concern

Interesting you compare him to Taylor as they are not dissimilar IMHO (but Marriot looks to me a more accomplished finisher)

But , he’s looked a poacher / scorer since he first appeared at Luton and plenty like him have carried on scoring as they rise soma difficult call 

So annoying that we could have picked him up for £200-300k max from Luton when we signed Hinds and Bakinson :grr:

At 4/5 million a far more difficult call !!!!

Marriott looks a far more composed finisher than Taylor, and looks to do his work inside the box.

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Is he better than Matty Taylor ? 

We’ll see.  I’m certainly not his biggest fan, but his best two games for us were alongside Famara in the league cup, and therefore it would be hasty to let him go, should Bobby go.  I quite like the options of perming Diedhiou, Marriott and Taylor...with Djúric a different option.

Assuming Reid goes, any striker worth his salt is gonna fancy 6 games to prove his worth before Diedhiou returns. 

Archived