IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I agree. He’s not a particularly natural goal scorer as evidenced by the stats. I like stats but they don’t tell everything as we know. 

If I want a guaranteed 20 goal man at this level who did nothing for the team other than score then he’s not the guy you go to.

Having said that his most recent season at championship level was his most prolific at 1 in 3 so I’d suggest he’d be an asset to plenty at this level. 

What he does do is create opportunities for others through relentless work, which wasn’t lost on Hughton. He just fit the way they played. That’s the best part of his game and there’s no stat to measure it  

But I’d much rather have a pair of strikers that score - say - 35 between them (25+10) than two who score 15 each. 

It’s like Taylor. Taylor is never going to score 20-25 goals a season at this level. But he’s an absolute nightmare to play against because he doesn’t give the defence a moment’s peace which creates opportunity for the team. Does the grunt work to allow someone else to take the glory. 

What we would have done for a couple more who would run through brick walls at the end of last season....

I'd be intrigued to see how Taylor would get on given a full 46 games at this level. I think he might surprise a few people. He hasn't had much of a run in this team.

I could see him doing really well at a side like Millwall, Bolton or Wigan where their strength is their team rather than individuals. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd be intrigued to see how Taylor would get on given a full 46 games at this level. I think he might surprise a few people. He hasn't had much of a run in this team.

I could see him doing really well at a side like Millwall, Bolton or Wigan where their strength is their team rather than individuals. 

I like Taylor. He brings a lot to the team. I just don’t think he’s ever going to get a full season here tbh which is a shame. He’d be a perfect partner for a poacher. 

40 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I like Taylor. He brings a lot to the team. I just don’t think he’s ever going to get a full season here tbh which is a shame. He’d be a perfect partner for a poacher. 

That poacher would need a physical presence though or at least real pace. Taylors biggest problem is despite his qualities he is neither quick nor strong/good in the air. He just doesnt have the physicality to trouble championship CB's, but maybe if he played with a bit of a 'beast' he could get goals at this level.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I found Baldock quite a hard watch at times. In certain games the ball just seemed to bounce off him as if he was wearing bricks instead of boots. I remember when we played Coventry away (when they were at Northampton) and we lost 5-4 or something.. I was very close to pitchside and his touch was looked horrible up close.

No denying he is an effective player though, works really hard and at times is deadly. His all round contribution is obviously his main asset.

At times his control was poor, but at others his ability to take a ball knocked into him on the half turn and spin either way was good to watch. 

45 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

That poacher would need a physical presence though or at least real pace. Taylors biggest problem is despite his qualities he is neither quick nor strong/good in the air. He just doesnt have the physicality to trouble championship CB's, but maybe if he played with a bit of a 'beast' he could get goals at this level.

I’ve said many times the two games he was paired with Diedhiou (Palace and Stoke) I saw Taylor produce things I didn’t think he had in him. If Reid does go then I wouldn’t want to see MT go also. 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

he was vital in the way they play and was pretty important in their promotion but he must be shit because he only scored 17 goals in 3 championship season,

You've dumbed down the debate quite dramatically there Monkeh.

I've never said Baldock was 'shit'.

@BRISTOL86 claimed 'we have never replaced Baldock and have missed him ever since.'

Clearly unsupportable as we thrived immediately after he left, and have consistently had high scoring strikers in the seasons since in Wilbs, Kodjia, Tammy & Bobby.

Meanwhile he's scored 17 in 3 seasons before he fell out of the picture almost completely on promotion - 5 apps, nought goals.

A good striker at Div.3 level as he showed in the season before he left AG, but higher up than that he becomes increasingly a bit part player and virtual non scorer.

As you've chosen to jump in and take sides against me in this debate with your throwaway comment above perhaps you'd like to take a few moments to explain how exactly Baldock is 'a player we have never replaced and have missed ever since'?

Looking forward to your analysis. Cheers. 

2 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

Done a search of Bristol City, BCFC, Bobby Reid, Bristol City Centre and loads of others, can't see anything about a player on Twitter, Link to this anyone ??

He's in spain stop wasting your time :laugh:

Just now, INCRED said:

Funny he was at Malaga airport flying back to UK on 4th and was back in his villa on 6th??

He didn't fly back to the UK

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You've dumbed down the debate quite dramatically there Monkeh.

I've never said Baldock was 'shit'.

@BRISTOL86 claimed 'we have never replaced Baldock and have missed him ever since.'

Clearly unsupportable as we thrived immediately after he left, and have consistently had high scoring strikers in the seasons since in Wilbs, Kodjia, Tammy & Bobby.

Meanwhile he's scored 17 in 3 seasons before he fell out of the picture almost completely on promotion - 5 apps, nought goals.

A good striker at Div.3 level as he showed in the season before he left AG, but higher up than that he becomes increasingly a bit part player and virtual non scorer.

As you've chosen to jump in and take sides against me in this debate with your throwaway comment above perhaps you'd like to take a few moments to explain how exactly Baldock is 'a player we have never replaced and have missed ever since'?

Looking forward to your analysis. Cheers. 

I think the statement was fairly clear Nogs and is supportable by the fact that we haven’t had the same sort of striker on the books since he left (Taylor the closest) and he would have improved any squad we’ve had since.

He’d have been a good foil for Abraham, Kodjia or Reid and I’m sure any of those players would have enjoyed playing against someone who does so much grunt work. 

You don’t rate him, I do. That’s perfectly fine, however I would suggest that the fact that as good a manager as Hughton rates him as an excellent championship player somewhat leans in favour of supporting my argument rather than yours. 

10 hours ago, Botch Lesnar said:

Are grown men really excited/worried/ any kind of emotions over a football transfer ? :laugh: we all love the close season but in reality it’s the firthest thing from my mind . I  don’t wish to offend but surely if as a fan you’re worrying where a player is holidaying etc etc it’s borderline weird .

Says the person with two references to WWE in their signature !!

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think the statement was fairly clear Nogs and is supportable by the fact that we haven’t had the same sort of striker on the books since he left (Taylor the closest) and he would have improved any squad we’ve had since.

He’d have been a good foil for Abraham, Kodjia or Reid and I’m sure any of those players would have enjoyed playing against someone who does so much grunt work. 

You don’t rate him, I do. That’s perfectly fine, however I would suggest that the fact that as good a manager as Hughton rates him as an excellent championship player somewhat leans in favour of supporting my argument rather than yours. 

On would also say he feels he is capable to do a job when needed in the Premier League as well, seeing as he gave him a new contract and had he not been injured for much of last season would have been more involved in a team who many felt would go down, but never. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sorry, but to say we 'have never replaced Baldock and have missed him ever since' is laughable. Out of interest, how many times over the past 3 years has someone expressed that view to you at Ashton Gate?

The reason your argument is flawed is due to three little words: Kodjia, Tammy and Bobby. Now you may argue about them all having slightly different attributes and strengths/weaknesses but to all intents and purposes, they have effectively played the same role for us. All three have performed considerably better than Baldock did at this level for us. I believe all three are at least as good, if not better (certainly in the case of Tammy) than Baldock. 

Baldock was ok for us but had a very poor first touch and his propensity to miss easy chances, particularly one-on-one's, was shocking for a striker. Most of us could see that he lacked confidence in front of goal, especially when given time. If you miss him then fine, but I think you might be in a minority of one given the excellent strikers we've been treated to over the past 3 seasons since his departure.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry, but to say we 'have never replaced Baldock and have missed him ever since' is laughable. Out of interest, how many times over the past 3 years has someone expressed that view to you at Ashton Gate? Irrelevant, the quality of opinion expressed at Ashton Gate is, in the main, utter bollocks. 

The reason your argument is flawed is due to three little words: Kodjia, Tammy and Bobby. Now you may argue about them all having slightly different attributes and strengths/weaknesses but to all intents and purposes, they have effectively played the same role for us. All three have performed considerably better than Baldock did at this level for us. I believe all three are at least as good, if not better (certainly in the case of Tammy) than Baldock. So you're saying all strikers play the same role? Djuric as Reid? Ibrahimovic as Griezmann? I maintain the 'never replaced him/missed him' stance on the evidence of the fact that he would have gotten into every single best match day squad we could name since his departure. 

Baldock was ok for us but had a very poor first touch and his propensity to miss easy chances, particularly one-on-one's, was shocking for a striker. Most of us could see that he lacked confidence in front of goal, especially when given time. If you miss him then fine, but I think you might be in a minority of one given the excellent strikers we've been treated to over the past 3 seasons since his departure. See below and above re comments about how I agree he's not the most natural/clinical striker, in the same way that a great many strikers aren't particularly prolific but are still a big asset to their team.

3 minutes ago, 123red1 said:

Problem with Baldock was he needed 3 or 4 chances to finish one, and we didn't produce enough chances in a game for him to be fully effective. He would look even worse playing for us now ! 

I proved at the time that his chance conversion rate was average to good, and actually better than several much bigger name strikers, including high end premier league players. We just created SO much that season that it felt like he was considerably more wasteful than perceived. 

I really can't be arsed to cover (very) old ground that we've been round for weeks and months in the past.

I have no issue with my opinion not being shared by the majority, in fact sometimes I feel it's a compliment! 

Archived