IGNORED

Jack Marriott signs for Derby (Merged)

Charlie BCFC

Baldock was a fairly average striker to be truthful, for us anyway imo. Didn’t really have the confidence in him as I have done with Tammy, Bobby, Kodjia and even Brett Pitman.

You always had that feeling he would waste chances before eventually scoring.

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Baldock was a fairly average striker to be truthful, for us anyway imo. Didn’t really have the confidence in him as I have done with Tammy, Bobby, Kodjia and even Brett Pitman.

You always had that feeling he would waste chances before eventually scoring.

34 goals in 83 appearances is average for us?

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Imo it's ridiculous how people form an opinion of a player based on numbers. It's likely he did a great job for Brighton, as he was involved a lot in a team that got promoted and the fans seemed to rate him.

It really is not a case of 'forming an opinion based on numbers' but where you have such diverging opinions statistics offer a concrete and unbiased addition to back up what is otherwise purely a discussion based on opinions.

They are not an argument in themselves, but useful in so far as it is not just down to whether a poster liked/rated a player or not.

It's interesting to me why anyone would want to dismiss statistics unless they appear to undermine their own argument?

In Baldock's case they show he was a very successful Division Three striker (for a season) at City but has proved either very moderate or out of his depth higher up.

What we all saw with our own eyes at AG - an at times extremely profligate player of often fragile confidence in front of goal - simply isn't good enough higher up, and so it proved in his case with such a measly goal return.

BCFC may have been loath to lose Baldock at the time, but thankfully he proved to be no problem to replace ( and then vastly improve upon) at all hence It's reasonable to conclude we have never missed him one bit.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

proved either very moderate or out of his depth higher up.

simply isn't good enough higher up

Manager Chris Hughton added: "We are delighted that Sam has agreed a new deal with us. He has been a key member of the squad since he arrived at the club and this new contract is recognition of his contribution over the last couple of seasons.

"He's also a great professional and a good character in the dressing room, so we are pleased he will be with us for the next few seasons."

Surprised you haven't had a few clubs on the blower Noggers, you clearly have considerably better insight than a very successful manager at this (and higher) level.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Shall I start a thread about Baldock, where we can talk about Marriott?

Up to you James, go ahead if you really want to.

Or you could just talk about them both both in this thread where one of Baldock's few admirers unfathomably saw fit to bring him into the discussion so gushingly.

I'm starting to think 'man crush' because frankly the arguments in favour of Baldock being so 'missed' (in a football sense) really are so weak.

9 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

I hope if we are  in for this lad then we can match what forest and leeds can pay him. if not then we should not waste our time and move onto players we can afford. I know its the off season but Mark Ashton is very quiet. 

We certainly can, whether we will or not is another matter! I like it when Ashton's quiet, frankly, it's so often better than when he speaks!

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The only thing the stats prove is he has not scored as many for Brighton as he did for us. Doesn't mean he couldn't have in a different system. And his lack of goals doesn't prove he played badly. Managers use players in different ways. Maybe his role was not to just score goals at Brighton, but to be more of a team player. 

Wasting your time. 

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

We've never replaced Billy Wedlock tbh.

Rubbish. He only scored 17 goals in 403 appearances. What sort of record is that? If he was playing today he would be sent out on loan until he improved 

54 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

God can we start the World Cup now please. Some Utter drivel on here. 

You think the WC is going to stop drivel being posted?

:laughcont:

Certainly do James, though I wasn't aware it was new, it looks so right somehow. :whistle2:

Does this mean the romantic honeymoon in the Maldives is off @BRISTOL86 or are you planning to fulfil the once in a lifetime tryst but just with a different partner? ;)

Image result for sam baldock, wiki

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

:laughcont:

Certainly do James, though I wasn't aware it was new, it looks so right somehow. :whistle2:

Whereas your avatar is of a cantankerous, dastardly git ;) 

Honeymoon is still on but frankly if he stumps up for a water villa and first class flights I’m happy to sub her out. 

Archived